* I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread

Comments

• freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Afternoon everyone,

MURIE oh how the other half lives eh £300 for a candle :o

PEPPAPIG glad your procedure all went well and you are back home now. Do you have to wait long for the results? I love that you have booked your Christmas dinner out already, I would love to do that one year but the prices are so high :eek: and I always think what I could do with the money instead haha. Your miniature village sounds fab I cant wait to see it in progress

KERRI haha my nerves would be shredded if I did a last minute lucky dip meat purchase I wish you luck though ive heard some fab bargains can be found

MRSINVISIBLE wow great bargain there I hope it doesn't get cancelled for you

VULPIX you are going great guns on the present front I still cant make my mind up of giving money or buying something for the adults? I hope today goes as well as can be expected

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY I am fine thankyou for asking :) oh that video was very festive thankyou for posting it, hope you have a lovely holiday with the family

#103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
    04624181 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Hello all, lovely to see the thread so busy. cannot believe we are at the end of our 3rd week of the summer hols. It is going so quickly.

Nipped into work for a few hours to get some bits done. Just helps us be in front on the first day of school.
    Ordered some clothes from everything5pounds. 2 dresses and a cardigan for work, Very impressed as 2 are from well know high st stores.

Mrs I - Wow amazing deal! Hope you manage to get your dishwasher fixed
    Vulpix- Dont you just love it when you find bargains you have forgotten about. LOL love the craft name, is that the official name?
    Peppa- Glad you are home now, sounds like you used your time productively. Cath Kidston crockery is gorgeous.
    Sammykaye- Would it be ok to ask for the ladies details who made you the mermaid set for your DD if you still have them please. My DD really would love one, ideal gift for her.
    GTQ- Hope your friend is ok, must of been a shock for you all.
    Absolutely loved that video, really put me in the festive mood.
    Free- I too like the idea of eating christmas lunch out but I never seem to be able to bring myself to pay so much. Especially as my kids would probably leave half of it. Maybe when they are older.
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    0462/FREE I must admit I do begrudge the cost a bit but we did it a few years ago and it was so nice not having the planning, prep and clearing away. This year DD2 will be having Christmas Day at hers (we'll be having Christmas with them on Christmas Eve) so it's going to be all adults except for DGD who is 8 going on 18 and will eat almost anything. I wouldn't do it with the little ones. It's more than twice the cost of a normal three course meal but then I suppose everyone is giving up their Christmas to prepare it so I suppose I can understand it. Plus of course we've sold our dining table as we felt we'd rather have the space :D

FREE they should get the results in 7 to 10 days but of course that doesn't mean I'll get them then. I suppose it's sort of no news is good news.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Peppapig wrote: »
    0462/FREE I must admit I do begrudge the cost a bit but we did it a few years ago and it was so nice not having the planning, prep and clearing away. This year DD2 will be having Christmas Day at hers (we'll be having Christmas with them on Christmas Eve) so it's going to be all adults except for DGD who is 8 going on 18 and will eat almost anything. I wouldn't do it with the little ones. It's more than twice the cost of a normal three course meal but then I suppose everyone is giving up their Christmas to prepare it so I suppose I can understand it. Plus of course we've sold our dining table as we felt we'd rather have the space :D

My mum recalls once when we went out for xmas dinner - I was still in my high chair so tiny toddler and all I had was a plate of sprouts...apparently the venue wanted to charge a full price meal for it :eek: My parents politely declined that bill :rotfl:
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Just popping in quickly Murie to say if you were thinking of a nice candle, expensive but not in the £300 bracket, I have a couple of The White Company candles, the 3 wick are about sixty pounds but sign up and if I remember correctly you get an email discount. Expensive still but I burnt them last winter on and off and put the lids on to see me through this winter too. I've also had the Sainsbury's 3 wick at about £16, far more reasonable maybe. I think the 3 wick look nicer for a gift
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Just popping in quickly Murie to say if you were thinking of a nice candle, expensive but not in the £300 bracket, I have a couple of The White Company candles, the 3 wick are about sixty pounds but sign up and if I remember correctly you get an email discount. Expensive still but I burnt them last winter on and off and put the lids on to see me through this winter too. I've also had the Sainsbury's 3 wick at about £16, far more reasonable maybe. I think the 3 wick look nicer for a gift

Just to add to this, I got some Woodwick candles for gifts in the sales, but compared to £300 they're very reasonable at full price. Boots stock them too if you want to have a sniff of them.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• I may have bought myself a Cath Kidston bag :naughty:

I saw one on the Bay of Fleas yesterday, about ipad size, white with little coloured hearts. Thought it would be perfect to take on flight with me, big enough to hold kindle, phone, travel docs but not too big. Placed a bid & someone bid against me (:mad:), they had to keep bidding as my max was more than their bids, bet they were well & truly cheesed off when I won by 7p! I always place my max bid as £x.07 & tend to win because of the odd amount, so worth considering if you don't already do it.

Got home from SW to find a card from the council saying they had come round to inspect the property. All private landlords in the borough need to be licenced (allegedly to weed out the rogue landlords, but it is an easy money making method for the council) & the council are inspecting the properties. What they don't realise is that I work for a company that owns properties and we have had ours inspected, so I know that both my landlord & I need to be advised they are coming as they check various things (gas, electrical certs etc, most of which the landlord keeps), and they are not allowed by law, unless it is an emergency, to turn up unannounced. Having only lost 1/2 lb (I know, it was a loss and considering I have felt bloated all week, I can't complain), was not that happy, but the card annoyed me entirely, so pigged out. Feeling guilty today though, so back on plan!
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
    04624181 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Morning all,
    So today will be mostly shopping and cleaning ready for a busy weekend. Hoping to finish some little bits off in the kids bedrooms today/tomorrow too. Waiting for payday to finish off the kids school uniforms.
    Peppa- My hubby mentions us eating out every year, the no cooking, no cleaning, no planning side of it totally appeals to me.Getting ready and going out for lunch, enjoying lunch and then leaving without having to wash up or serve dinner sounds perfect! Every year we look at prices and every year the kids prices put me off. Maybe when they are older. You will have an amazing time. So will you be having 2 christmas days? that will be amazing xx
    Kerrigt- lol a plate of sprouts xx
    GYD- white company candles are supposed to be amazing!
    GTQ- congrats on your Cath kidston bag win. I too always do a random odd number when I bid, seems to work in my favour.
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,281
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Peppa the craft group is bee itchin and stitchin.Or as Mr V says The Coven.

Funeral was very nice of its kind.The drive to Angelsy was beautiful as I know the area very well we went on B roads.

I am also a fleabay queen adding random odd numbers.

GTQ your weight loss will show up next time.Naughty council.Is this another money maker for them?

I don't know if I like going out on Christmas day.My step Grandma used to take us all out when I was little and I remember not wanting to be dragged away from all my new toys.The first year my FIL died Mr V went to see his Mum on Christmas day.Only me n DD1 at home so we went to Rusholme in Manchester for a curry.The place was full of single parents with teenage children.We had Christmas the next day.So for the past few years we have driven to MIL's on Boxing day and taken her out.It is cheaper than Christmas day but still expensive.I would have Christmas day every day if I could at home.

The cocacola truck footage looks most civilised.You couldn't get any where near it when we went to Manchester.I love the ad but it doesn't make me buy the drink,I prefer pepsi!

Vx
     :
  • vulpix wrote: »

The drive to Angelsy was beautiful as I know the area very well we went on B roads.

Naughty council.Is this another money maker for them?

Vx

I drive to Holyhead every Christmas as I take the car home for the convenience and I LOVE the view once you cross over the Menai Bridge, it is so relaxing & peaceful looking at the beach.

Of course it is a money maker for the council!
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure