PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Astonishing, it normally travels like plague - oh, hang on, I'm downwind of him in terms of prevailing wind direction, maybe that might explain it?!

Would that not increase the risk?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Witless wrote: »
    Would that not increase the risk?
    :o Posting at speed whilst eating brekkie; my thought was that the blight might have come in from the non-prevailing wind direction in that instance, thus making me less vulnerable in that incidence, sorry for not making that clear - I know what I mean, everyone else should, yes?! :rotfl:

On further reflection, considering the placing of our plots and the compass points vs the usual approach of blight (from the south-west, I think) I would be in harm's way before this other plot-holder.

So, I guess I just got lucky and my 7.5 kg of seed spuds turned into 130 kg + of harvest. My old Dad last saw a harvest like that in 1966.:p
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    Greyqueen
    That's a good pull! I've never shot an American flatbow. In fact I haven't shot properly for many years though I do still go to the club from time to time. My bow's a recurve, but it's not one of the very technical ones, it's light and easy to assemble and I love it. I used to shoot classic bare longbow when we were in a medieval reenactment group in the 1980s - doubt if I could pull one now and certainly wouldn't get any golds. Your post really brought back memories.

I don't know about adding horsetail ashes to the ground, nothing in MrCs organic gardening Bible either but surely the extra minerals would improve the soil - it makes sense? It's horrible stuff (though it does make great scouring pads for cleaning plot mugs and plates) and in 40 years we've seen in spread ever nearer to our plot. When we first took it on it was only on the allotments right on the furthest away edge of our site, now it's only 3 plots away!

Blights always a problem here, last year we bit the bullet and grew sarpo varieties (mira and una) and although we were dubious about them being blight resistant they really seemed to be! They cropped well and kept well too. Not slug resistant though sadly:( Maybe your varieties stronger than your neighbours? That can make a difference.

Off to the bees in in a minute. I've gone from having no computer time at all to suddenly having a free hour early in the morning again :) I'm making the most of it this week - can't see it lasting :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I had a blightwatch e mail and quickly put two of my bucket-grown tomato plants into my wall greenhouse. I can only get two in with some space in between. Lol, part of my prepping is to grow less, I used to have 19 tomatoes in patio buckets, with the tomato rings, now only three. I am itching to get on the lottie today, this afternoon as washing is on. Went up yesterday late as it rained for 24 hours and pesky slugsand snails are at it, two celeriacs are eaten. I used nematodes earlier and my cabbages look a lot better than my neighbours but it only kills small slugs and not those horrible big ones, or any snails. I am going to do hands and knees weeding later, no point hoeing here as more rain is forecast this week and the soil is now so moist that weeds are just growing more roots as soon as the hoe cuts them. However I like the quietness of hands and knees weeding, I easily tackle one bed at a time so its not too daunting

I have a hm wooden planter in the front and it is relatively difficult. I think I will get rid and order another big plastic one, to match one I bought last week. Its very nice and big enough for a small tree but I`ll be putting a drought mix in, lavender, pinks, semperviviums. The big troughs in the back have them and they are already stunning. It will mean minimal future care, I`ll just start collecting plastic shapes as I half fill with them first, then top with weed fabric, then put a soil mix in
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    daz378 wrote: »
    My dads funeral yesterday all went well especially different parts of family not arguing , ashes are being interred in a couple of weeks in his local church where he was quite active..
    daz, I'm glad it was okay and people weren't arguing. Good to think his ashes will be in a spot where he contributed so much.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2017 at 4:40PM
    Daz- I'm so sorry I missed your post. Glad the funeral was argument free, it's a stressful time for you. X
  • GreyQueen
    :) Afternoon all.

(((daz))) I'm glad the funeral went off as well as could be expected, these difficult occasions can cause ructions among the family. Thinking of you at this difficult time.

I've dragged myself indoors and opened my post and, beggar me, but for the first time in the 10+ years I have dwelt in Shoebox Towers, a council block in one of the most deprived wards in England, I've been sent personally addressed electoral bumph from the T*%£s!

Never before have they darkened my door with so much as a leaflet, never mind a canvasser. They're either hopelessly optimistic or are blanket-mailing every registered voter. I ripped out my address and the rest is going unread into the recycling bin any minute now.

I'd like to see a tory canvasser down here, actually - just to see how fast they can run these days.......... :rotfl:

Cappella, 36lb doesn't feel like very much to me, although you can't hold the bow at full draw for many seconds I tend to point & shoot much faster than the recurve archers. Well, I have to get ready for the zombies or the re-invasion of La France; Azincourt v. 2.0 or Crecy Redux.

What did you think of the Sarpo spuds in terms of flavour? I recall reading that some people loathed the earliest Sarpo cultivars and said they'd not bother with them again, the taste was so bad.

This year I'm growing Rocket and Rooster, last year it was Desiree and Maris Peer. I don't have a particular plan, it's whatever I can buy (hi Wilk0!) without too much trouble or saddling the pushbike and riding miles and miles up hill and down dale.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Talk about overthinking things, I had just taken supper out of the oven and went to turn it off when the knob I used just went round instead of turning it off! He Who Knows instantly said we'd have to turn off the power and disconnect the cooker (not a plug but a cable through the wall) and this meant taking the oven out of its housing, lifting it out and undoing nuts, screws etc. we did this, power back on, fridge back in place beside cooker unit and then.....he looked at the knob and a tiny bit of plastic inside has snapped and that's why it wouldn't turn the oven off and we could have just used a pair of pliers to turn the metal bar manually BOOHOO!!!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    That made me chuckle MrsLW, honestly I am glad it was a minor problem but I could imagine all that heaving when all you needed was one small tool

GQ, I grew sarpo a couple of years ago, they were trouble free and grew strongly but were horrible, turned to watery mush when cooked. I crowd funded those people a few years ago because they are doing something important but I would not grow those varieties again

I have just been out to the front of the house and dealt with 6 big black slugs and one snail and the allotment beds are full of slime trails. I hand weeded a lot yesterday but also got the hoe out and did a bit of digging where the raspberries used to be, must be something wrong with that patch as the raspberries have all walked away.

I am awful twitchy about the world economy at the moment, just gut feeling, last time was when I started the tough thread in 2006. My pension is a sipp inherited when my husband died and I have managed that since 2006. Yesterday I sold 2/3 of it, shares and funds. The sipp has got to last me a lifetime and just now I feel safer to have most in cash, so be it if the market keeps going upwards, at least I have drawn the drawbridge up
  • GreyQueen
    :) Good morning.

Very interesting about your decision, kittie, and I hope that your hunch is the correct one. These things are hard to judge but sometimes all you can do is observe the omens and act with instinct. By the time the answer is out there, it'll be a fire sale and too late to get a good price.

I do feel that we're in the last stages of the bubble-of-all-bubbles in terms of the ridiculous valuations given to companies which have never, ever, come within a country mile of turning a profit and probably never will do so. The eventual reversal is likely to be something people will tell their grandchildren about with shock and awe.:(

Plus, the prices of most assets are inflated beyond all reason. I think it will end badly and that an awful lot of people will get hurt as a lot of notational wealth will evaporate like dew on a summer's morning. I have a copy of Galbraith's The Great Crash 1929 sitting on the shelf in front of me, must get around to reading that soon.

Well, I was just saying to my Dad yestereve that I may or may not get up to the allotment today at some point, it has been raining for about 14 hours now, very gently at present. I haven't seen very many slugs at all since my slug-a-geddon in 2013 but my plot was rife with those monsters the size of your thumb, I killed them by the hundred each day I was up there. I cultivate the soil by hand and usually have a robin accomplice snatching up any grubs and (hopefully) slug and snail eggs as I turn them up.

I don't like to walk on my soil when it's very wet as I aim to keep it as fluffy as possible. A fellow plot-holder, who is from a farming family in another part of the county, was marvelling over the soil on our site, it has properties he has never encountered before. I did explain about it being a riverbed in ancient times, and that the silty elements cause both crusting in dry weather and slickness in wet, so the surface needs regular gentle tickling with a hoe or similar to break up the shell which forms.

If you don't, water will bead and roll off any raised bits, quite remarkable to observe. Still, the waterbutts on the shed were getting low and will now both be brimming over, which is a happy sight.

Interesting about the Sarpo spuds. I have long been fearful of the consequences for an uncontainable potato blight as this one plant is such a staple part of our diets. The Sarpos were the great white hopes, weren't they, but their palatability and cooking qualities have put a lot of people off.

Hokay, onwards and upwards, mes amies. Have a good day.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills