CarHire 3000 guaranteed Golf Auto but lied deliberately

Just thought I'd share my experience about this company for others to be aware off and see if anyone has any advice on what action if any I can take.

I needed to hire a car for a week, and since one of the cars I was considering buying in the near future was a Golf auto, I thought I'd hire one. I rang around the main hire companies and they said they didn't either carry it or they could not guarantee which car I would get on the day.

I then stumbled on carhire 3000 website, and there flashing on the front of the website, it says, "guarantee your choice of car", great I thought, gave them a call, I said I was after a VW Golf 5dr Auto, the sales person paused and then came back with, yes, we have 1 left but you need to book straightaway to book it. Without a second thought, I booked it.

When I received the sales voucher, it said I had to pick up the car from Europcar, I quickly found out that Car Hire 3000 is simply a broker, which it never made clear as I was under the distinct impression it had its own rental fleet of cars. Not only that, my credit card had been swiped for the full amount even though then rental was not due for a good few days.

When I arrived to pick up the car, the car presented to me was a Skoda Fabia Auto and not a VW Golf Auto as guaranteed by car hire 3000. As I needed the car, I had no choice but to accept. Speaking to the Europcar assitant, they said they only Auto's they carry are the Skoda Fabia and Ford Focus. So quite clearly, I was being deliberately lyed to by Carhire3000 in order to secure the booking.
Ringing Carhire300 to complain, they said I would have to email them the complaint. To which I received a reply saying that my complaint would be acknowledged in the next 7 days and dealt within the next 28 days!

I paid a premium as I thought I was getting the car I wanted, not sure what recourse I have.
Clearly their website is lying - as they cannot guarantee the car of your choice. Also their sales staff lie through their teeth in order to secure the booking. I will probably contact the office of fair trading regarding this and maybe my credit card company as the service I bought was not delivered.

Comments

• have you read all the small print
  • If you wanted a Golf, you shouldn't have accepted the Fabia.

I wouldn't waste my time with it. Just write a letter of complaint, and file it in the 'does not matter' drawer.
  • Clearly their website is lying - as they cannot guarantee the car of your choice. Also their sales staff lie through their teeth in order to secure the booking. I will probably contact the office of fair trading regarding this and maybe my credit card company as the service I bought was not delivered.

From their terms and conditions:
    Occasionally it may be necessary for us to make changes to your booking (after acceptance) and we reserve the right to do so without any liability.
    Conor
    Unstoppable.....
  • If it were me I would email the broker and refer to your earlier email and their response. I would inform them that you are making a complaint under section 75 of the consumer credit act to your credit card supplier.

You did not receive the specific product that you agreed to purchase.
    I would be requesting a full refund.

Then write to the credit card company asking them to refund your credit card account under section 75 of the consumer credit act - detailing the issue.

Simply put, you did not get what you paid for and agreed and had little option but to accept the alternative on the day.

These brokers seem guilty of bouncing you into a sale by deception?
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The Fabia Auto isn't that much different anyway really. Probably a bit smaller but not by much.
  • swift1_2
    swift1_2 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    standupguy - I was thinking the same thing, thanks, its got to be worth a try.
    There is a part of me that just says, just leave it, as the fabia is not a bad car, inside you can't tell and it looks like all VW parts.
    However, the other part of me, does not want to let this company to get away with it - they lied deliberately - I didn't get the goods I ordered. Can't hurt to write a letter of complaint to see where things go.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Their website makes it quite clear they are a broker and also that you have a choice of just a deposit, which is lost if you then cancel or the whole payment which is returnable if you cancel.

I know it says on their site, gtee your model of car, which I have to agree is misleading as when I rang them about gteeing a model in the USA, they said they couldnt.

If they def told you you could have a golf, I am sure they will sort it.

What premium did you pay?

Have you given them the 28 days in which to respond?

I have used them a few times in the US and never had a problem and havent been lied to.
  • swift1_2
    swift1_2 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    photome - Its not immediately obvious they are a broker, on the front of their website, there is nothing there to indicate they are. With all their international operations listed, I assumed they were a bigger player, such as, National, Hertz etc. I was not given the option of a deposit, infact, nor was I told the whole amount would be taken there and then.

Regarding cancellation, their website says no cancellation fees in big fonts with no asterisk to indicate there are terms and conditions attached. On the front page of the website it does state the t&c's for deposit based cancellations, however, no mention anywhere on the website could I find the t&c's where the whole payment has been made. Infact, the t&c's for whole payment booking is on the voucher they send you after you have made the booking. Which says, that if a cancellation is made less than 48 hrs of rental commencement, then a 3 day charge will be made. So much for no cancellation fees.

I paid these ripoff merchants £224.73, I could have got the same car directly from the same underlying company for £172.12.

I am still on the 1 week hire, but I'm glad I only made a 1 week booking, my rental needs extend for the next 4-8 weeks, so will not be making any future bookings through CarHire 3000.

You mentioned that they could not guarantee a car for you in the USA. The mind boggles as to how they could possibly guarantee any car, when the underlying companies themselves are unable too. I've now rung around many hire companies, I've found none that are able to guarantee any specific type of car.

What makes it particularly painful, is when the saleswoman had a little giggle when she said they had 1 VW Golf Auto left. At the time, I thought she was happy that she had been able to find the right car for me and been able to guarantee it. I now realise that she was actually laughing at me.
  • Suggest you read the following, quite clear its a broker, and the terms do make what they did acceptable.

Very poor website,cant say I would use them.

Also the whole guarentee your car thing, cant find it anywere, all pages say "or Similar"

Carhire 3000 is a trading name of Travel Jigsaw ltd. Our registered office is at
    1st Floor, 49 Peter Street, Manchester, M2 3NG and our company number is 05179829. These terms and conditions, together with our web site terms and conditions of use, privacy policy and security policy constitute our agreement with you, the renter, for the services we provide in acting as a car hire company. Together, these are referred to as our terms. These terms shall apply to all contracts for the provision of our services to the exclusion of all other terms and conditions. No conduct by Carhire 3000 shall be deemed to constitute acceptance of any other terms. Acceptance of the services or signature on any agreement shall be deemed conclusive evidence of your acceptance of these terms. Carhire 3000 may change the terms from time to time and you, the renter, are advised to check the web site to consider any changes to the terms which apply to you. When we supply you, the renter, with vehicle hire, we are acting as a car hire provider. We source our vehicles from various local suppliers. Your hire of any vehicle from us is subject to the terms and conditions of vehicle hire imposed by our local supplier and to the corresponding laws of the country and/or state that the rental takes place in. Individual restrictions may also apply to your vehicle hire.

These terms apply to any booking that you, the renter, make with us on or through this web site, so you should make sure that you are aware of their contents. Both our terms and conditions and those of our local providers contain some exclusions and limitations of liability.
    Your booking on this web site is conditional on you, the renter, accepting our terms. If you, the renter, do not agree with any part of them you must not proceed with your booking. By confirming that you wish to book a vehicle through this web site you, the renter, indicate that you have read, understood and accept the relevant terms. If there is any part that you, the renter, do not fully understand, or if you have a query about the vehicle hire or any other product, please contact us on 0800 358 7707.
    There may be some circumstances where we do not know whether or not our local suppliers have a particular vehicle available. This will be clearly indicated either before or after you, the renter, have sent your request through. In these cases we will put the vehicle on 'request' with our local supplier. This means that although we cannot immediately confirm to you, the renter, that your requested vehicle is available we will use our reasonable endeavours to find it for you and will inform you of the outcome within 48 hours of your request.In other cases the requested vehicle is available. Where you, the renter, offer to hire a vehicle or other product on this web site at the suggested price it may be accepted within 48 hours of you submitting your order (or up to 1 day before arrival, if earlier). We will notify you, the renter, by return e-mail and by e¬mailing a booking confirmation if your offer has been accepted. Please note that you, the renter, will not have any contract for vehicle hire at the price offered until your booking has been confirmed and the necessary payment received. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
    Please note that any contract entered into will be with the individual actually booking the vehicle and all correspondence will be sent to that address given, even where a third party actually pays for the hire. For the avoidance of doubt nothing contained in our terms shall entitle any third party to any benefit or rights pursuant to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
    The rental voucher must be presented to our local supplier when picking up your rental car. Carhire3000 cannot be held responsible for rentals rejected if a voucher is not presented.
    Carhire3000 cannot accept liability for any charges incurred as a result of documentation signed for and accepted locally.
    Carhire3000 will not be held responsible for anyone driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs, causing wilful damage, off road driving or driving without due care and attention. You, the renter, will accept full responsibility in respect of such claims. This list is not exhaustive.
    What is included in the price?
    Rates include unlimited mileage (except some vehicles in Canada *, Australia and prestige vehicles), collision damage waiver (see note below re CDW), third party insurance (see IMPORTANT NOTE BELOW), theft waiver, local taxes # and airport fees.
    Please read the specific terms and conditions
    *In Canada, unlimited mileage is applicable to travel within adjacent provinces/states of collection.

# Some exclusions may apply, please check with reservations centre.

CDW
    Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) reduces the renter's liability from the total cost of the damage, to an excess amount where applicable unless the renter intentionally causes the damage is under the influence of drink or drugs or uses the vehicle in a prohibited or negligent way e.g. driving off main roads or hiring to other parties. CDW covers liability for damage to the vehicle or its parts and accessories. In most destinations windscreens, tyres, under carriage, replacement locks, replacement keys and towing charges are not covered under the insurance policy. Other exclusions may apply & can differ between rental companies, so we recommend checking with our local supplier at the time of collecting the vehicle what the exclusions are.
    Theft Waiver
    (TW) reduces the renter's liability in the event of theft or damages caused due to theft or attempted theft of the vehicle to an excess amount where applicable. Negligence connected with the theft of the vehicle may lead to our local supplier requiring the full amount for the cost of the vehicle.
    IMPORTANT NOTE
    Please check carefully the details of the insurance provided by our local supplier. It is not unusual for third party cover to exclude blood relatives and members of your immediate family or members of the same home address who travel with you, the renter, in the vehicle. Top up policies will normally be available to purchase directly from our local supplier , or such cover may already be included in your holiday insurance. For peace of mind, Carhire3000 strongly recommends that you, the renter, familiarize yourself fully with the extent of the cover provided with any rental & where necessary, take out additional cover in respect of your spouse and any children or close relatives who will be accompanying you in the vehicle.

What Is Not Included In The Price?
    Petrol (except the first tank of fuel on Select Packages in North America and South Africa), Personal Accident Insurance (unless specified on your Carhire3000 voucher), special request items, insurance excess (unless specified on the Carhire3000 voucher), out of hours charges, garaging, parking and traffic fines, congestion charges, additional driver charges and young driver surcharges where applicable. All costs are payable locally. In some locations an optional insurance may be offered to reduce or waive the renter's liability. Additional insurance may be required if driving outside the country of hire. Items paid locally may be subject to tax.
    Personal Accident Insurance
    This optional insurance may be covered by your holiday insurance (check before you, the renter, travel). If you require PAI, it can be purchased locally on collection of the hire car.
    Local Deposits & Petrol
    Most of our local suppliers require a deposit at the start of the rental to cover petrol, liability excess and other charges incurred during the hire. A valid major credit card will be required in most cases (check with our Reservations Centre) and must be in the lead driver's name. Provided the car & extras are returned in the same state as rented & in accordance with the fuel policy, this deposit will be refunded when returning the vehicle. Please note some local rental companies operate a fuel policy where you, the renter, must purchase the first tank of fuel & return the vehicle empty - in these circumstances there is no refund for unused fuel.
    Out of hours charges
    In most airport locations flights will be met and cars supplied outside of normal working hours. However, there may be an additional charge for this service, which will be payable to the local supplier. We will advise you, the renter, whether a charge will apply when you confirm your pick up times in your booking request. In the event that a flight is delayed, causing the car pick-up to fall outside normal working hours, the additional charge will be made locally, where the out of hours service is available. Carhire3000 can accept no further responsibility where there is no out of hour's facility available and it is therefore recommended that you, the renter, take independent travel insurance.
    Minimum/Maximum Age Limitations
    In most destinations, the minimum hiring age is 21 years. Surcharges can apply with certain suppliers & in certain countries for drivers aged less than 25 years and over65 years, where the correct driver age has been submitted with the booking request we will advise of any likely charges. Minimum age requirements on larger car groups may also be increased at selected locations. Please check with our Reservations Centre if you, the renter, have any questions or concerns on this matter.
    Additional Drivers
    Charges may apply for additional drivers in certain areas, payable locally (Unless specified on the Carhire3000 voucher).Please check with our Reservations Centre.
    Period of Hire/Daily Rate Calculation
    Hire periods are calculated on a 24-hour basis. After collection of the car, an extension of the hire period and late returns will be supplied and charged for by our local supplier at the local daily tariff (which may be considerably higher).
    Early Return/Rental Extension
    The duration of your rental starts and finishes according to the pick-up and drop-off dates and times detailed on your voucher, the price of which will be confirmed at time of booking and is calculated on the basis of 24-hour units. If you, the renter, wish to extend the rental period after collection of the car, or if you return the car later than stated on your voucher, you will be contracting with and charged by our local supplier at the local daily rate, which may be higher than our rates. Unfortunately Carhire3000 are unable to make refunds for vehicles returned early.
    One Ways
    One way rentals must be confirmed in advance and may be subject to drop charges, payable to our local supplier. We will advise you, the renter, on the approximate costs after we receive your booking request & receive confirmation from our local supplier on the one way rental.
    Child Seats and Special Requests
    Child seats and roof racks (not available on some vehicles) and additional items are available on request in most destinations, although they cannot be guaranteed. In most states of the USA child seats are required by law. There is usually a charge payable to our local supplier. Please note rear seat belts may not be provided in all vehicles. Check with our reservations centre regarding these items. Requests for these items should be made at the time of booking.
    Delivery & Collection Charges
    May be applied (by the local supplier) outside office hours even if late collection is caused by a flight delay. In most locations, the local supplier will offer delivery and collection to/from accommodation, although a charge may apply. Full address details and a time of delivery must be given at the time of booking. Please note deliveries cannot be made to private accommodation.
    Driving Areas
    Restrictions may be applicable when crossing country / state borders; our ReservationsCentre must therefore be advised at the time of booking whether you, the renter, intend to travel with the vehicle into any other country/state. Additional documentation may be required and local charges may apply for travel to certain countries. Restrictions may also apply in Australia and remote areas, please check with our Reservations Centre.
    If You, the Renter, Wish to Make Changes to Your Booking
    Reservations amendments following issue of confirmation/invoice but prior to the commencement of the rental may be made free of charge. Reservations which are fully pre-paid at the time of booking can be cancelled free of charge up to 48 hours before the commencement of the rental. Where a reservation originally secured with a deposit payment (Deposit Booking) is cancelled more than 48 hours prior to the pick up time then a cancellation fee equal to the deposit amount will be charged. All reservations cancelled within 48 hours of the commencement of the rental will incur a charge equal to 3 days rental or the deposit amount, whichever is the greater. This also applies to no shows in resort; including non-receipt of vehicle due to insufficient documentation.

To cancel your booking, please call a member of our team on 0800 358 7707 and have your name and reference number ready
    If We Make Changes to Your Booking
    Occasionally it may be necessary for us to make changes to your booking (after acceptance) and we reserve the right to do so without any liability. In all cases we will advise you, the renter, as soon as reasonably possible before the time of hire.
    Documentation
    Your voucher will normally be dispatched within 48 hours of us receiving your booking request, providing that full arrival details have been advised; i.e. flight number and arrival time or a local address and telephone number. Please note that certain "request" vehicles may take longer to confirm & we will advise you, the renter, if this is the case. Carhire3000 cannot be held responsible for rentals charged locally or rejected if a voucher is not presented when collecting the vehicle from the local supplier. Please ensure you, the renter, travel with your full valid national driving licence and passport, if applicable. Please check with our Reservations Centre if any other documentation is required.
    Driving Licence
    Drivers must produce a full British Driving License held for at least 1 year (2 years in selected locations, please check with our reservations department). Drivers holding Non British licences should contact our customer services department prior to pick up on 0800 358 7707. If a new photo card licence is held, drivers must also produce the paper documents, which accompany the photo card. Our Reservations Centre must be advised of any endorsements at the time of booking and Carhire3000 reserve the right to refuse the booking on this basis according to our local supplier's terms and conditions. All persons driving the vehicle must be in possession of their driving licence at all times for perusal by local authorities. No refunds will be given for rentals rejected by our local suppliers due to non-production of a driving licence or non-disclosed endorsements. Please note an International Driving License/Permit does not replace the requirement for a regular driving license.If using an international license /permit, a full driving license in the principal driver’s name will still be mandatory in order to rent the vehicle.
    Car Capacity and Vehicle Type
    All vehicles are insured for a maximum number of passengers. Carhire3000 cannot accept liability for the vehicle being unsuitable for all passengers and luggage. As a guide please refer to the Carhire3000 website for approximate passenger of the car groups available. Carhire3000 cannot accept responsibility for rentals denied at our local supplier's counter due to the party size being too large for the vehicle.
    Carhire3000 is unable to guarantee a particular make or model of vehicle. The car shown on your voucher is for guidance only and may be substituted for an alternative similar model or upgraded vehicle.
    Provision of Cars
    Our local suppliers reserve the right to refuse to make available a vehicle to any person considered unfit to drive or who does not meet eligibility requirements. Carhire3000 will not be liable for the completion of travel arrangements, nor for any refund, compensation or any other costs you, the renter, may have to pay.
    Complaints
    If you, the renter, are dissatisfied in any way with the standard of vehicle
    upon collection, please report this to our local supplier. It is difficult for Carhire3000 to assess any claim regarding the standard of your vehicle if this action is not taken during the hire. If you, the renter, are dissatisfied in any way, please contact our Customer Relations Department, within 3 months of your return.

Mechanical Difficulties/Accidents
    In the case of breakdown or mechanical difficulties, you, the renter, must call our local supplier immediately. Our local supplier must give authority for repairs or replacement cars. If you, the renter, are involved in an accident, the local police and our local supplier MUST be contacted. Keep copies of all relevant documentation you are asked to complete. This may be needed if you, the renter, wish to make an insurance claim.
    Carhire3000 acts as a car hire company, not as an agent. Your hire of any vehicle from us is subject to the terms and conditions of vehicle hire imposed by our local supplier and to the corresponding laws of the country and/or state that the rental takes place in. You, the renter, will therefore be subject both to our terms and those of our local supplier. Carhire3000 accepts no responsibility for and shall not be liable in respect of any loss, damage, alterations, delays or changes arising from civil strife, industrial dispute, including air traffic control disputes, terrorist activity, natural and nuclear disaster, fire or adverse weather conditions, unavoidable technical problems with transport, closure or congestion of airports or ports, cancellation of scheduled airlines and financial failure of airlines.
    The General Information and Terms & Conditions stated are correct at the time of going to press.
    Driving in the USA
    Third Party Insurance All hire cars in the US provide Third Party Insurance to the statutory minimum required, however this can be as low as $5,000.

Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) / Extended Protection (EP)
    In many countries it is required by law that car insurance must include unlimited Third Party coverage. In the USA this is not the case, therefore all our Fully Inclusive and Premium Rate Products include Extended Protection (EP) or Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI). EP/SLI covers the renter for liability to third parties for bodily injuries and property damage only (not hire vehicle) resulting from an accident in the rented vehicle, to the maximum total protection of US$1 million.
    Under-Insured Motorist Protection (UMP)
    UMP provides the renter, family members and passengers travelling together in the rented vehicle with up to $1millionof non-stacked coverage for bodily injury sustained while driving the vehicle, and caused by another driver who has no insurance, minimal insurance, or is a hit-and-run driver.
    Terms of your Contract with Carhire3000
    However you, the renter, choose to book, it is important to understand how and when a contract is formed. The technical steps required for a contract to be formed are as follows:
    When we quote prices over the telephone or place our services on our website we are inviting you, the renter, to make an offer for their purchase. You, the renter, do not make this offer until you do so verbally or by pressing "Book Now".

You, the renter, have made Carhire3000 an offer to purchase the services once you have either pressed "Book Now" or done so verbally. Carhire3000 will then accept this offer when it has both received full payment and has sent you, the renter, your confirmation voucher. Once done there is a binding contract between you, the renter, and Carhire3000 for the delivery of its services subject to these terms.
    Carhire3000 are responsible for losses you, the renter, suffer as a result of Carhire3000 breaking this agreement if the losses are a foreseeable consequence of Carhire3000 breaking the agreement. Losses are foreseeable where they could be contemplated by both you and Carhire3000 at the time our agreement is formed. Carhire3000 are not responsible for indirect losses which happen as a side effect of the main loss or damage and which are not foreseeable by you, the renter, and Carhire3000 nor are they liable for, without limitations loss of profits or loss of opportunity, loss of goodwill or consequential losses, damages or costs.
    Carhire3000 shall not be liable itself or vicariously through our local suppliers for either a failure to perform or delay in performing any of its obligations under or pursuant to this booking, voucher, reservation, rental or terms and conditions, if and in so far as performance is delayed, hindered or prevented by force majeure, which expression shall mean any event beyond the reasonable control of the party in question. In the event that the force majeure persists for more than 14 consecutive days, Carhire3000 may terminate and withdraw this booking, reservation or rental by giving 14 days notice to your, the renter's, original billing address.
    Please check the web site terms of use for compliance with the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 (the ?Regulations?).Please note that only part of the Regulations apply to the provision of car hire services.
    You, the renter, shall fully indemnify and keep fully indemnified Carhire 3000 from and against all losses, costs (including legal) and damages incurred by Carhire 3000 as a result of a breach by you of our terms.
    Carhire 3000 provides no warranties or undertakings other than those that are expressed in our terms.
    These terms are governed by the laws of England whose courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    swift1 wrote: »
    photome - Its not immediately obvious they are a broker, on the front of their website, there is nothing there to indicate they are. With all their international operations listed, I assumed they were a bigger player, such as, National, Hertz etc. I was not given the option of a deposit, infact, nor was I told the whole amount would be taken there and then.

Regarding cancellation, their website says no cancellation fees in big fonts with no asterisk to indicate there are terms and conditions attached. On the front page of the website it does state the t&c's for deposit based cancellations, however, no mention anywhere on the website could I find the t&c's where the whole payment has been made. Infact, the t&c's for whole payment booking is on the voucher they send you after you have made the booking. Which says, that if a cancellation is made less than 48 hrs of rental commencement, then a 3 day charge will be made. So much for no cancellation fees.

I paid these ripoff merchants £224.73, I could have got the same car directly from the same underlying company for £172.12.

I am still on the 1 week hire, but I'm glad I only made a 1 week booking, my rental needs extend for the next 4-8 weeks, so will not be making any future bookings through CarHire 3000.

You mentioned that they could not guarantee a car for you in the USA. The mind boggles as to how they could possibly guarantee any car, when the underlying companies themselves are unable too. I've now rung around many hire companies, I've found none that are able to guarantee any specific type of car.

What makes it particularly painful, is when the saleswoman had a little giggle when she said they had 1 VW Golf Auto left. At the time, I thought she was happy that she had been able to find the right car for me and been able to guarantee it. I now realise that she was actually laughing at me.

The t and c covering full payment are def on the website as illustrated by the poster below yours. under if you the renter wish to make changes

You also didnt answer..have you given them 28 days to respond? I assume you havent if you are still on the hire. They may come back with an apology and a refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure