A cat attacking..

Not sure there is anything I can do with it but hre goes.

Tinker is around 12, she was a farm cat and a bit feral.

She sleeps anywhere she likes, she seems to like a different place all the time.

Often sits and sleeps beside OH. Lately, if he has got off the settee she has moved to where he has been.

Last week she sort of 'mouthed' his arm. I mistook this behaviour.

This morning she got up beside him, did a couple of turns, stared at him and then, because he didn't move she full blown attacked him, both paws and a bite...... frightened both of us to be honest.
Any ideas please.
make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
and we will never, ever return.

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    She is getting old and grumpy. Next time just move out of the seat and let her have it.:D

Or take her to the vet for a check up.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'd pick her up, spank her bum, put her outside.
  • pawsies
    pawsies Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!

Aggression towards aggression never works and just escalates the issue.

Consider checking her over to make sure she isn't in pain and then get her favourite treats within reach and reward her for allowing your husband/you to be there. You need to change the association she has between both of you so it becomes positive rather than negative.

Punishing her will just affect your relationship even more.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    if she broke the skin your husband should get checked as cat bites and scratches can introduce bacteria into the wound. He may need antibiotice and/ or a tetanus injection.

My friend had a cat that but her sister if she touched it but my friend smacked the cat when it did it ti her and it never did it again.

I only found this out after I lifted the cat off a chair to sit down on it and the cat quietly walked away. My friend's sister stood opened mouth then asked 'How did she not get bitten?.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You hit a cat it will be fearful of you and not trust you. If you tried to hit one of my cats, I'd rip your head off!:mad:

Oh and loads of people get scratched and never need antibiotics. I have to give one of my cats a tablet each and an quite often get caught by one of her front teeth, my fault. Never had to get a antibiotic or tetanus, just washed my hands.
  • z.n
    z.n Posts: 275 Forumite
    Woo her with chicken and slow blinks (calming gesture)- and get a vet check. I have had semi-feral cats over the years (have one now who is very very twitchy) and they have never 'gone' for any of the family, but will run off at the slightest thing and fight to get free if restrained. The current one does do a bit of a show at the other cats- clearly letting them know she will not play and they are to leave her alone. And all h,,, lets loose when it's time for flea or wormer. But otherwise she is fine. So a bit stumped TBH. We are careful never to startle her though- is it possible your OH gave her a scare- just lifting an arm suddenly will frighten mine. She is worse if she has had a run in with a strange cat. Laying down with her helps- definitely less scary than towering over her. She keeps us well fed with rodents though so we are definitely family.

Being a bit feral/twitchy is genetic I think- I had this one's sister and she was fine-both brought up in the same way etc. We just work round it. I doubt it is age related.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

ha ha, Pastures New, in all honesty she would have me by the jugular.

As it was we both jumped so suddenly she jumped from the settee and ran for safety while I was chasing her, she cowered under the table. I was so angry that If I had got to her it would have been a scruff of the neck job outa the door lol

OH just will go for the easy life and move and let her have the seat. I will have a word with the vet though.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Its almost funny now thinking about it, there was no sharp movement, she was just sitting next to OH, facing him, he was watching tv. Then he looked at her and looked away, she decided was definitely not going to move to let her lie down so went for him......

Sometimes, if you do something she doesn't like, like stroking her back, she will give you the 'I don't like that, so please stop' look, and if you do it again...... well, its world war 3 again.... I will have word with the vet next time she goes to be wormed.
  • donnac2558 wrote: »
    You hit a cat it will be fearful of you and not trust you. If you tried to hit one of my cats, I'd rip your head off!:mad:

Oh and loads of people get scratched and never need antibiotics. I have to give one of my cats a tablet each and an quite often get caught by one of her front teeth, my fault. Never had to get a antibiotic or tetanus, just washed my hands.

My mum has had to have anti biotics a couple of times, a massive dose on one occasion as one of her cats scratched her, its the germs in the tooth that can cause the reaction.

Maybe shes just been unlucky but better safe than sorry
  • I have cats and one of my cats was obviously abused by its previous family. Ive had him 8 years now and hes only bitten me twice but my mum moved her hand really quickly once and he chased her up my hall baring his teeth, she was terrified (hes the size of nonsense but even so), took him years to be ok with her again

She also has another cat who was spoiled by his previous owners, hes a persian and he hates being groomed, hes also a rogue and when hes in fighting mode, he'll have a go at her if she picks him up when hes wanting to try and scrap with one of the others, but he loves her, hes just a daft sod

We don't know what cats have been through in the past and sometimes a sudden movement can scare them and they'll have a bite.

Id never smack one of my cats, even if they did bite me, I dont think its anything to be concerned about although its not nice to be bitten, it could be anything, being scared, in pain, a reminder of something that happened earlier in the cats life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure