Best place to go for an eye test?

I made an appointment with a local optician for an eye test, but I'm concerned they will pressure me to buy glasses with them if I do go there. I am on benefits right now so my eye test will be free. After I had made that appointment I was told that Dolland and Atchinson offer free subsidised glasses if you are on benefits. Does anyone know if Boots do the same or any others?

I am hoping I won't need glasses at all as I have never needed them before but my sight for looking at things in the distance has become worse in the last year, hence me deciding to get an eyesight test.

Comments

• dieselhead
    dieselhead Posts: 599 Forumite
    To be honest last time I needed new glasses my opticians boots couldn't have been less interested in selling me some glasses! I went to specsavers who I felt gave me a great deal, I got two pairs of glasses with the super thin lenses for £100, however the cheapest glasses were around £40 (this was around a year ago). Even at specsaves I didn't feel under pressure to buy anything.

I'm sure if you are on benefits you would get something towards glasses?????
    2009 wins: Cadburys Chocolate Pack x 6, Sally Hansen Hand cream, Ipod nano! mothers day meal at Toby Carvery! :j :j :j :j
  • Buster_Danog
    Buster_Danog Posts: 703 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I since found out that Specsavers do a discount where Dolland and Atchinson appears to do a pair for free. I just hope I won't need them at all.
  • Pink_fluff
    Pink_fluff Posts: 490 Forumite
    How much is an eye test?
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 May 2009 at 2:27PM
    I chose to have my eyes tested at Dollands as I feel that they give a comprehensive & carefully carried out test.

I used Specsavers once only & was given the wrong prescription. The lenses were far too strong for me but the optictian at Specsavers was insisting they were ok for me. I had to put my foot down & demand a new test & new lenses & vowed never to go back there again.

I don't get my glasses from Dolland now I've discovered internet optictians. Dolland's give me my prescription with no trouble & I've never had any pressure put on me to buy from them. I then send off my prescription to the internet optictian I use, which is selectspecs.

All high street optictians should have a range of glasses priced at the value of the voucher allowed for people on benefits etc who qualify for free glasses.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • myrnahaz
    myrnahaz Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    You need to shop around - D&H charged me £30 for my last test, but I found out that Tesco were advertising £10 tests at the same time.
    My FIL paid £300 for his new glasses & lenses at an independent optician's, but he couldn't see through them, so he took them back and the woman told him it was because of his cataracts - he had no idea he even had cataracts. Now, having had one of his eyes 'done', his vision is good enough for no prescription in one eye, but the optician charged him £200 for a new lens (with no prescription!!). I've told him he's not to go back to that optician again (he said he'd been impressed with the optician's shop because it was decorated so beautifully - guess who paid for her decor!!), but I'm annoyed that she hadn't told him to stick with his old glasses until he'd had his cataracts removed and then to go back for a proper test.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure