PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Accidental successes?

Options
Have you messed something up, but it was a success anyway?

I made chips recently, peeled and cut them and deep-fat fried them. (I normally do them in the oven, a deep-fried chip dinner is a treat as it's more effort!) I took them out and drained them, and went to sprinkle salt on them. The lid came off the salt and the whole pot went all over the chips :eek: I thought they were ruined but I didn't want to start all over again! I put them in a sieve and rinsed them under the tap, dried them off and put them back in the fryer.

OH said they were the best chips ever :rotfl:

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
April
NSDs 0/10
CC's £255

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Last summer I made a sponge cake because I was having a meeting at my house. I went to the park and foraged for wild raspberries, tried to make jam but it didn't work so I ended up with a raspberry coulis which I spread on the cake. The cake was dreadful because it hadn't risen as I would have liked (it was the first time I had used gluten-free flour). I then remembered something that mum said once "there's nothing that cannot be fixed with a bit of cream". Dashed out to the supermarket to pick up some double cream which I whipped and spread on the cake and I chucked a few fresh raspberries in it too.

The cake was eaten and declared delicious - I was even asked for the recipe.:D
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I once made toffee but it did not set so I reboiled it. Not only did it set but it tasted really good. I have never been able to do it since.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 August 2014 at 10:22PM
    Options
    once when making a recipe that called for a glass of wine, i had especially saved wine from the evening before, in the name of quality control i had a sip while cooking the mushrooms and inadvertently managed to finish the wine!! we had some port left from christmas so i used that instead .. it was lovely, nest time i made the same dish with wine and it was a bit of a disappointment - so we keep port in for the dish!!

maybe i should have lied and said i knocked the wine over with my elbow while stiring the pan - would have sounded better!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure