PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My 'Own' Version

we tried the Aldi Pulled pork the other week and OH loved it - I enjoyed it too and I am not a big fan of meat.

so reading the ingredient list - I thought I would try to replicate it.

I bought the Aldi Pork shoulder joint and a bottle of cola. the shoulder joint is twice the size of the one in the pulled pork (which still gave generous portions for three people - could have been four at a pinch).

I had a bottle of HP Barbecue sauce which was in the cupboard and fast approaching being chucked (we didn't like it). so I mixed about a third of that with cola - added various spices from my stash and left it in a slow oven to cook for 8 hours. I removed the rind and most of the fat first.

we have just tried it - and although it isn't the same as the Aldi one - its still absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!! (I will go a bit easier on the chilli powder next time - my lips are tingling, while asbestos mouth OH thought it added a nice heat the Aldi one lacked!)
moneysaving? well the Aldi one is £2.99 the pork shoulder joint was £2.89 and the cola 39p. and the spices etc were in my store cupboard and I wouldn't like to price the odd teaspoon of this and that. and yes, it made nearly twice as much!

how many of you do the same? is it a success? do YOUR lot prefer your version?

Comments

• That sounds really delicious.

I've not got a slow cooker but I do my pulled pork in a Remoska and it comes out really well. I'm going to try it with your seasonings next time.
  • I've never done a pre-prepared pulled pork dish so my lot have nothing to compare mine to, but they love the pork I do at home - and it's my son's absolute favourite. I always buy a larger shoulder joint so I can use the leftovers in various ways. I've adapted a Gordon Ramsay recipe for the pork itself - it's rubbed with a mix of smoked paprika, demerara sugar, garlic, fresh thyme, olive oil & a little salt & pepper, with a long, slow roast on a bed of onions. I pile the pulled pork on ciabatta rolls with hm barbecue sauce (a Hairy Bikers recipe found on the BBC food website) and serve it with hm onion rings and coleslaw on the side. I made it last Sunday and used the leftovers for a pizza on Monday (using the barbecue sauce on the pizza base), then the rest of it sliced up, covered & heated in gravy & used for a traditional-style roast dinner on the Tuesday. It didn't feel repetitive as all three dishes were so different, and all were tasty and well-received.
  • Tommelise
    Tommelise Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am allergic to a lot of things, so we rarely by anything premade or marinated.

My OH is in charge of pulled pork and always use this recipe: http://fussfreeflavours.com/2011/08/recipe-the-best-pulled-pork-ever/

- it is not especially spicy , but we all like it.

We serve it with arepas - a bit like build it yourself burgers:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/04/venezuelan-style-arepas-with-pulled-pork-recipe.html
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Although I tried and liked the Ald! pulled pork and liked it I didn't find there was enough of it for the three of us. Both hubby and 'Youngest' like it piled high.

Out of a shoulder joint I can usually make three evening meals out of it for the three of us. I usually use it two nights in a row and freeze the third for another time.
  • Wills106
    Wills106 Posts: 27 Forumite
    I think for pulled pork the best recipes are "Jerk Pork" that are actually more common than Chicken we get over here.

I have done both BBQ and Slowcooker, the good thing about making your own rubs is that you can put as much or little chilli in as you want. But the other flavours such is pimento and thyme gives the flavour!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure