Changing from BT to PO Home phone, Line Faults??

We are considering changing from BT to Post Office Home Phone, and were wondering whether BT would still be responsible for repairing any line faults??

OR... would it be down to the poor old overworked and underpaid Postie, to come and fix it after he has finished delivering all that junk mail?!!!!

Thanks for any help

Comments

• BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    PO would pass the problem over to BT who would then fix it.

However are you sure you want the PO phone service?

PO is only any good if you don't use the phone to make calls.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    You would lose the right to least cost route your calls if you shift line rental to the Post Office.
  • rattyjack
    rattyjack Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for that, how did you know that we hardly ever use the phone??!!
    I have just compared call rates, you are absolutely right, the PO is much more expensive for calls.

Think we'll stay where we are.
  • Steve_xx
    Yes this is so. (This answer was in response to Utilitybroker's now removed posting, asking if I was sure that the Post Office did not allow least cost routing)

As an aside, non BT customers cannot retain their telephone number if they transfer to the Post Office.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    rattyjack wrote:
    I have just compared call rates, you are absolutely right, the PO is much more expensive for calls.

OTOH (click 'HERE' in my signature below) there are savings to be made even by quite low users .
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Steve_xx
    rattyjack wrote:

You might consider registering with 1899.com. That would allow you to make untimed UK calls at anytime for 3p.

You might also register with Primus Saver Option 2 for free evening and weekend calls to UK landlines with number starting 01 or 02.
  • utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Steve_xx wrote:
    Yes this is so. (This answer was in response to Utilitybroker's now removed posting, asking if I was sure that the Post Office did not allow least cost routing)

As an aside, non BT customers cannot retain their telephone number if they transfer to the Post Office.

I removed my post because i assumed on reflection that you meant CPS and not LCR. You could still use a smart box on PO line to LCR your calls to likes of 1899 etc i believe.
  • Steve_xx
    I removed my post because i assumed on reflection that you meant CPS and not LCR. You could still use a smart box on PO line to LCR your calls to likes of 1899 etc i believe.

I meant indirect access. You may be able to do it, but they can stop it if they want to.
  • utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Steve_xx wrote:
    I meant indirect access. You may be able to do it, but they can stop it if they want to.

Yes of course, just as Talk Talk have done recently!!!
  • Calls with the Post Office aren't expensive if you are only a light user. I have used the Post Office for almost a year and receive much smaller bills mainly due to the fact that their line rental is cheaper than BT. BT do only charge their minimum charge for evening calls up to an hour but the Post Office don't have any minimum charge. You may be surprised how many calls you make at a minute or so long that only cost 1p with the Post Office but cost the minimum 5.5p with BT, and how rarely you make an hour long call.

As with most phone suppliers if there are faults on your line you call the Post Office, and they then pass on the fault to BT and arrange for a BT engineer to visit. You may also be interested to know that calls to the Post Office HomePhone service number are always answered by a person, they don't use one of the 'Press 1 for...' systems that most companies have.

Chris
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport