Bank Charges: Fine v Payout Poll

124»

Comments

• I voted b, as I'd rather have a payment refused and have to find another way of paying than be charged £35 for going £1 over my overdraft limit. Wouldn't embarrass me to have a crad refused - people with me wouldn't know why, and when I got my last debit card it was tempremental and regularly got refused for no reason anyway! But I can see the problems a lot of people would have with such rigidity.

I consider myself one of the lucky ones - I'm only 24, so would probably be expected to be zillions in debt and not bothered about it. The only debt I have is student loan, and I could pay it off tomorrow if needed, but I can make more money by not paying it off and saving the funds!

Because of this I am able to get credit, so have a CC for emergencies (like needing petrol on a sunday night when payday is monday) and my overdraft is for emergencies only as well. For all this I thank my parents, who taught me the value of money from a very young age - my mum (who worked for a high street bank) taught me all about the evils of debt. I now work for a company where I get paid around the same date each month, so can arrange DDs to be debited shortly after my pay goes in - most companies I've found to be agreeable to letting you have your DDs on a date you find works best for you, after all, they want your money.

I see 2 big problems with the 'no flexibility' idea though - firstly people like my brother (who gets paid 4 weekly instead of monthly) find it hard to arrange for DD payments - companies usually want their money monthly, not 4 weekly, and while they're willing to let you set up the DD initially for the date you want it, won't let you change the date each month. Also I really do believe the fixed rigidity being proposed would bring about the end of the cheque - most companies only accept cheques with a cheque guarantee card. I don't see how it would be possible to have a cheque guarantee card with a system of rigidity, as there would be no guarantee the money would be paid - no funds would equal no payment, and as most cheques aren't processed while the customer is there, this would be a big problem. Not for those of us who use debit cards, but for people like the elderly people I work with, most of whom seem to be scared of using debit or credit cards (especially terrified of chip and pin) and prefer their cheque books.
    OS weight loss challenge: 4.5/6 lbs
  • I'm new in the forum, but I've been lurking for a while.

I voted for the payment not being made as, like most people here, I would rather pay out as little as possible and find an alternative means of payment.

I'm fortunate that I am not in debt, but I don't like spending money unnecessarily (could be something to do with being Yorkshire born and bred!). I pay my bills by direct debit - I'm paid towards the end of the month, so have managed to arrange for most of my DDs to go out of my account in the first few days of the month (when I know that there will be money there).

I am one of those people who do know exactly how much money I have in my current account (and how much of that is accounted for, eg unpaid cheques, DDs still to be paid etc) as I keep a record on a spreadsheet. I try to keep 'in the black' although I do have an overdraft facility if I need it (a legacy from the days when I had a graduate account).

Kittykitten: I understand the problems your brother has being paid four-weekly, as I used to work for a company like that. Fortunately (or not, depending how you look at it) they also insisted that my salary had to be paid into an account at a specific bank, which was not the bank where I had my current account. So what I did was I set up a standing order for the first of each month to transfer my normal salary into my current account - and left all my SOs and DDs on that account. This meant that I had the money in my current account, and also had the benefit of giving me one salary payment "spare" which I could use for extras (such as holidays) - being paid four-weekly means that you get paid 13 times a year, rather than 12 times if you get paid monthly. Of course, this doesn't work if you need all your salary for living expenses.
  • SparciaM
    SparciaM Posts: 586 Forumite
    I think banks should honour the payment and charge for doing so.

What if it was your mortgage payment and you didn't want it paid? You'd then be in arrears with the mortgage, have to pay a missed payment charge and effect your credit rating.

Basically, a lot of people want something for nothing. People who didn't pay a bank charge, BUT, had their mortgage payment stopped - they'd be the first ones moaning that it wasn't paid (as the money will be there in a day's time). Yet it was there fault they didn't have enough money.

People rely too much on banks and technology to tell them how much they have or can spend. People need to go back to how it was in my parents time, when you budgeted and wrote everything down. So when woke up in the morning and checked your book, it would tell you exactly how much money was in your account and not what the bank was telling you.

People also need to stop spending beyond their means and realise that you shouldn't live in a 'want it now' world, but it should be more of a 'if i want it, I work and save for it'. Everything is too easily accesible and that is what is wrong with the world.
  • i would much prefer my items to be paid but with a smaller charge, there are so many unpleasantry's it can lead to... did you know that any decent mortgage lender will not take you on if you have had any D/D's bounce over the past 6months plus any missed payments for credit facilities will go on your credit file for at least 6 months. this means that you could miss out on any decent mortgage rates and this is the biggest way to save money, i would hate to be stuck on the standard variable rate which is almost 8% at the moment just because i missed one payment. i work long hours so dont always have the time to check my balance, i would like peace of mind that things like my mortgage will always be paid on time.

also... i hate to say this but the banks are not charities, we get cards, cheque books, 24hr and online banking, fraud protection all for free, i think in other counties it is the norm to charge for these. i can see banks charging just for having an account soon, they will have to make their money some how. either that or we will have set up fee's for everything thing like overdrafts, loans and savings accounts
  • SparciaM wrote: »
    I think banks should honour the payment and charge for doing so.

What if it was your mortgage payment and you didn't want it paid? You'd then be in arrears with the mortgage, have to pay a missed payment charge and effect your credit rating.

Basically, a lot of people want something for nothing. People who didn't pay a bank charge, BUT, had their mortgage payment stopped - they'd be the first ones moaning that it wasn't paid (as the money will be there in a day's time). Yet it was there fault they didn't have enough money.

People rely too much on banks and technology to tell them how much they have or can spend. People need to go back to how it was in my parents time, when you budgeted and wrote everything down. So when woke up in the morning and checked your book, it would tell you exactly how much money was in your account and not what the bank was telling you.

People also need to stop spending beyond their means and realise that you shouldn't live in a 'want it now' world, but it should be more of a 'if i want it, I work and save for it'. Everything is too easily accesible and that is what is wrong with the world.

i totally agree with this, some poeple expect the banks to do the budgeting for them and they complain that they have no money and charges on top of that!! we need to stop spending more than we earn, the banks will be very happy to either keep charging you or increasing your overdraft whenever you go over, its a win - win whatever for them
  • 1234554321 wrote: »
    IF banks went down the road of declining ALL transactions due to insufficient funds - even when the customer is short by just a few pennies...

Just wondered how people would feel if the direct debit for their mortgage or credit card failed...thus incurring penalties from said departments???

Granted, the late payment charge for defaulting on a credit card is only £12 (compared to £25 -£35 for a failed direct debit), however, their are further implications such as ones credit rating being adversley affected.

Comments please...

In my experience both actually happen. I was paid late a few months back, and my mortgage payment and a credit card payment were both rejected. On both counts I got charged by both the bank and the payee.
  • I've just had an extremely annoying situation with LTSB. Went overdrawn on a Friday but cos they charge you a monthly fee for going overdrawn PLUS a fixed amount every day including weekends, I got stung for £70 even though a transfer was already in the system and had cleared by Monday. I could not have gone into the bank on Saturday or Sunday to pay cash in so why should I be charged??? Not complaining about being charged (my fault for going overdrawn) but it is pretty tight charging you when they are closed and you can't do anything to rectify it.
    Don't feel better even after that moan :(
    FTR, I'd much prefer the "don't pay it and don't charge me" option.
  • shoust
    shoust Posts: 13 Forumite
    I think on the DD issue, I think the banks should help the customer by reserving a specified amount to pay of a wage(that isn't withdrawable) for DD's, that way DD's would be much more easier to handle, and the set and forget method would work.
  • shoust wrote: »
    I think on the DD issue, I think the banks should help the customer by reserving a specified amount to pay of a wage(that isn't withdrawable) for DD's, that way DD's would be much more easier to handle, and the set and forget method would work.
    You are surely joking. Why would the banks even WANT customers who are unable to calculate their available balances, let alone be prepared to do it for them. It is a matter for extreme regret in this country that wealth has been redistributed without any education in personal responsibility.
  • I wish the banks would refuse a payment not fine us as from personal experience, by being charged in the past, l have been left with nothing to live on,as l am on a low income at the time was on income support so relied on weekly money. They shouldn't be allowed to just take your money without warning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure