How deep do you bury a cat?

We lost our beautiful ginger kitten last night. He was five-ish months old and got run over in the street. So we have to bury him, but how deep? What shall we put him in? A cloth? Box? Can we plant a rose bush or something on top?

Comments

• Sad for you, so hugs.

Dig deep - 6 foot really. Don't put in a bag or box as this delays decomposing and can increase the smell and therefore attract foxes. Ideally do 6 foor and then a small hole for him and place planks of wood and bricks on top of the small hole and then fill it in.

We buried one cat and a year later the foxes dug it up on the day we moved house! It had been a 6 foot hole with all of the above and still didn't stop them, or maybe she just wanted to come with us!

You can get them cremated and either have the ashes scattered at the crematorium, or get them returned to you.
    Give yourself a Chistmas bonus £14 a week!
    Total so far £28
  • Oh bless you and your little kitty. Sorry I've no idea about burying a cat but just thought I'd say 'sorry to hear that', I love cats and I know how attached we all get. Hope you're ok
    "a workman, even of the lowest and poorest order, if he is frugal and industrious, may enjoy a greater share of the necessaries and conveniences of life than it is possible for any savage to acquire."
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 4,121 Forumite
    As long as you dig deeper than two spade lengths, that should keep it safe from inadvertently being dug up in the future, as some gardeners 'double dig' which means they dig over the soil to the depth of roughly two lengths of a spade. You could also plant a small tree or shrub on top to mark the area.
    Im so sorry for your loss ive been through this twice...first with my beautiful ginger 15yr old female cat, and again with my 18 month old male chocolate oriental cat...both run over and killed.
    Hugs xxxx
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My goodness 6' seems rather excessive ... our vet said 2-3' should be ok... we wrapped our elderly lady in a soft bath towel and dug down 3' filled with earth and then we put some bulbs and a small shrub to mark the spot... its been fine for quite a long while...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    We lost our beautiful ginger kitten last night. He was five-ish months old and got run over in the street. So we have to bury him, but how deep? What shall we put him in? A cloth? Box? Can we plant a rose bush or something on top?

My sincere condolences. I am a cat lover and have lost a few over the years, fortunately to old age rather than the more traumatic experience you have had.

As others have said, burying a cat in the garden just attracts foxes and rodents no matter how careful you are in preparing the site.

I have always opted for having a local vet cremate the body, and then you can bury the ashes and plant a memorial rose bush over the burial site. Alternatively, if it is not too distressing for you, there is always the option of creating your own little funeral pyre in the garden. It's more personal and it saves the vet's bill.

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport