PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mince quantity question (stretching and portion sizes)?

Comments

• Tiptop
    Tiptop Posts: 41 Forumite
    I always bulk out my chilli and spag bol with red lentils and never soak them first. I just throw a couple of handfuls in and then add a bit extra liquid and leave it to simmer. By the time it's all cooked through the lentils are soft and you barely notice they're there.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    I use Pearl Barley & Puy Lentils,that you can bung into the gravy uncooked & let it simmer as well as a tin of cheap baked beans.
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 January 2012 at 12:24PM
    Someloose great ideas. I use loads on mince as sometimes feeding 7 so making cottage pie or lasagne can cost a fortune. Going to rethink things
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • ianbar0
    ianbar0 Posts: 379 Forumite
    this has been really useful as i am looking to change m diet a bit to go along side my running/cycling and want to eat more lentils and we eat quite a lot of mince in various ways so very useful and timely!
    £18 for my old mobile.
    new proper meal planning to cut spending.
    £26 in coppers taken to bank.
    £30 under grocery budget last 2 weeks.
    £22.98 cashback quidco
    £34.02 music magpie
  • I'm going to give this recipe a go today, uses both lentils and porridge oats and very economical:D;)

http://frugal-cooking.co.uk/recipe/193/batch-bake-minced-beef-recipe
    Feb GC £80 per week (Well I'm gunna try:whistle:)
    Diet starts today(31/12/16)! Only 18lbs to lose:eek:

4/2/16 - 13lbs to lose:D
    11/2/16 - 12lbs to lose:D
    3/3/16 - 11lbs to lose:D
  • doelani
    edited 3 January 2012 at 12:52PM
    I'm going to give this recipe a go today, uses both lentils and porridge oats and very economical:D;)

http://frugal-cooking.co.uk/recipe/193/batch-bake-minced-beef-recipe

All that from 1kg of mince ?... I use 1kg when making a lasagne :eek:
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    You could also use diced uncooked spud.The advantage with this is if you chop some really small,then they will break down & thicken the sauce.I also saw the late,great Floyd use dried potato in sauce to thicken.I suppose you could use SMASH but crush it before adding to the sauce.
  • doelani wrote: »
    I'm going to give this recipe a go today, uses both lentils and porridge oats and very economical:D;)

http://frugal-cooking.co.uk/recipe/193/batch-bake-minced-beef-recipe[/QUOTEall that from 1kg of mince ?... I use 1kg when making a lasagne :eek:

lol well I haven't tried it yet, will let you know what I think later :D
    We have 3 adults in our household (including DS who has hollow legs!) and I would normally use a 500g pack of mince for 1 meal (chili, spag bog etc) so this should be interesting:D
    I'm determined to cut our food budget this year so am willing to give anything a go once;)
    Feb GC £80 per week (Well I'm gunna try:whistle:)
    Diet starts today(31/12/16)! Only 18lbs to lose:eek:

4/2/16 - 13lbs to lose:D
    11/2/16 - 12lbs to lose:D
    3/3/16 - 11lbs to lose:D
  • doelani
    spike7451 wrote: »
    You could also use diced uncooked spud.The advantage with this is if you chop some really small,then they will break down & thicken the sauce.I also saw the late,great Floyd use dried potato in sauce to thicken.I suppose you could use SMASH but crush it before adding to the sauce.

Funny you should mention SMASH that was another thing mentioned this morning when we were talking about bulking out the mince.
  • As well as everything already mentioned I also use soya mince to bulk out mince 200g to 500g minced meat.
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure