Spill the beans... Trade secrets: supermarket staff, tell us your reduction policies!

Comments

• rozmister
    rozmister Posts: 675 Forumite
    Middy wrote: »
    If I work on a late night with my store manager and there are reductions still left when the store closes - she insists we buy it, even though it could be food we don't eat or no room in the freezer! I'm not complaining about 10p every couple of weeks. I have parents and friends that will take anything off me. As the thing is if its not sold, the disposal in money terms is the full cost, not at the final reduction price. So the store rather receives 10p for a couple of fishcakes than lose £1.80 in wastage.

I wish I'd worked in your store!! The one that used to kill me was our bakery didn't reduce down fresh bread they just threw it out at the end of the day. I don't think that's company policy just our store but you'd go round with a bin liner when the store was shutting and just put in all the fresh loaves that had been out too long. :(:( All the fresh bread begging for butter wasted!
  • Middy
    Middy Posts: 5,394 Forumite
    rozmister wrote: »
    I wish I'd worked in your store!! The one that used to kill me was our bakery didn't reduce down fresh bread they just threw it out at the end of the day. I don't think that's company policy just our store but you'd go round with a bin liner when the store was shutting and just put in all the fresh loaves that had been out too long. :(:( All the fresh bread begging for butter wasted!

The bread is bagged up and used as fuel in a power station. Its Sainsburys policy that they cannot reduce instore bakery products. But can reduce brought in products.

The things I was forced to buy by my store manager have been quiches, potatoes, salad items and ready meals.
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Middy wrote: »
    The things I was forced to buy by my store manager have been quiches, potatoes, salad items and ready meals.

...the things people have to do to keep their boss happy (= keep their job) :(
  • Lovetotravel
    Lovetotravel Posts: 386 Forumite
    I went to Tesco last night and got a packet of 5 bagels, packet of large baps and packet of pancakes for 10p each. Then deli sandwich fillers, for 22p from £2.69 and £2.59.

Delighted! :)
  • plimsoll
    plimsoll Posts: 153 Forumite
    I've noticed with Tesco that sometimes the first reduction is still leaving the item costing more than you could get it for on a current "deal". I think it also depends on quantity left how much they reduce - for instance this morning (just after first reductions I would think) I got packs of sausages full price £4.39 for 45p each. I'm guessing when they were first put out there were a lot more than the five packs I picked up!
  • b1505
    b1505 Posts: 265 Forumite
    Went to Morrisons earlier and noticed their reductions are good.
    Mozzarella for 10p reduced from 85p. Massive bag of salad, probably had around 10-15 servings in it (was what they use on the salad bar) for 35p with 3 days left until the sell by date. GU passion fruit mousse - 25p.
    This was all around 4pm and the store doesn't close until 10.
  • lemontree
    lemontree Posts: 893 Forumite
    twickmag wrote: »
    Yes, my local Waitrose has massive end of the day reductions, but there is a regular price reducer follower, an Eastern European lady, I think, who snatches everything out of his/her hand before it can be put back on a shelf/in a trolley, and stacks it in her own trolley - I've sen it full to the brim at the checkout. It's far too much for her own consumption, and my guess is she sells it on to friends/family.
    Frustrating for regular shoppers.
    I fail to see why the shopper's nationality is relevant!
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    b1505 wrote: »
    Went to Morrisons earlier and noticed their reductions are good.

Totally opposite in my store. Reductions are usually something like 10p-30p off normal price.

They often have damaged goods reduced but at a price that is higher than the non damaged version currently on offer.

So would be interested if any staff post here as to their policy.
  • A fair number of people don't know about time limits on the length of time items like cooked chicken etc can be kept in the hot cabinets. The maximum time allowed is 4 hours. After this time the item MUST be reduced to encourage a sale. Look on the price label and you'll find the 'Sell By' date. Beside that date will be a time. This is the time the item was put into the hot cabinet. If it was more than four hours previously, then just ask the assistant to reduce it and he/she will.....by 50% or more. The longer the item has been in the cabinet - past the four hour limit - the larger the reduction will be.

Whilst not encouraging anyone to follow suit; many's the time I've taken a large chicken which is 55 minutes past the time limit, done a little more shopping to kill five minutes, then gone back to the hot counter and asked for it to be reduced because it's an hour over. Every little bit helps.
  • All the fruit and veg at our local Tesco that has to be sold by that day is marked down by 90% at about 7.45pm every evening. I regularly get £30 worth of items for £3.00. Happy Days :j

All in all a very good suggestion however I do have to remind you of the law and that flashing your lights is confusing and irresponsible as a road user. I saw someone do that once, it was misinterpreted as a 'go ahead' and the driver of a car drove straight into a motorbike. Several people lost lives. You would fail a driving test for flashing your lights. I agree we all need to make the world a great place to live and work in but lets not do it this way as it is not safe.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback