smart meters

anniecave
anniecave Posts: 2,441 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Does anyone know what generation/type of smart meter are currently being installed in homes at the moment?

I know the first batch are supplier specific as per the article below, but that is planned to change, will we hear when that is the case?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/team-blog/2016/12/22/smart-meter-stopped-working-its-probably-because-you-switched/

I have received a message saying Siemens are installing smart meters in my area (West Midlands) on behalf of my supplier and I thought I'd check whether anyone knows ?
Indecision is the key to flexibility :)

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Still the old SMETS1 standard. The new transferable ones are not due out until later this year. Some of the old ones may be upgradeable at a later date.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    molerat wrote: »
    Still the old SMETS1 standard. The new transferable ones are not due out until later this year. Some of the old ones may be upgradeable at a later date.

From November 2017 onwards. At the moment, suppliers are allowed to count SMETS1 meters against their SMETS2 rollout target.

There are no plans to upgrade SMETS1 meters. There is an ongoing consultation to see how these meters can be 'grafted' on to the DCC by 2020 via a separate communications link.
  • Chrishazle
    Chrishazle Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Will SMETS2 include 3 phase electricity meters? BG were unable to install smart meters for me as our house has 3 phase supply!! (it's a domestic premises, not business!!).
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Chrishazle wrote: »
    Will SMETS2 include 3 phase electricity meters? BG were unable to install smart meters for me as our house has 3 phase supply!! (it's a domestic premises, not business!!).

If you run a 3phase meter then i believe smets2 wont have a 3phase smart meter from the start.

If you run a single phase meter from a 3phase supply then yes, the current meters work on this and I don't understand why you've been told no.
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the replies - Siemens called me this afternoon and confirmed they are still installing the old (SMETS1) smart meters so that makes sense.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • System
    I m a meter reader and I read a newly installed smart meter last week.I dont think its possible to tell from the outside if its the new SMETS2. From a source in the meter fitter department I understand that at least the BG mk2 smart meters installed with a "hub " instead of the earlier simcards can be upgraded fairly easily without exchanging the whole meter.
  • Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Does everyone have to have the new smart meter installed by 2020, is there an option to keep the old as is?
  • System
    Asghar wrote: »
    Does everyone have to have the new smart meter installed by 2020, is there an option to keep the old as is?

According to the Citizen's Advice, suppliers will have the legal right to fit smart meters when the existing meter has reached its end of life or is thought to be faulty. However, consumers can elect to have the meter fitted with the smart communications' facilities disabled.
  • System
    edited 6 March 2017 at 8:50PM
    There is not a cat in hells chance of that happening by 2020 even if smart meters were mandatory, which they are not..2030 is nearer the mark the speed that suppliers install them. Everyone definitely does not have to have one even if the suppliers fitter implies that, as some still do. As a meter reader I hear that quite often about fitters saying we all have to have them. I like them personally and they would cure many of the problems of supply which we all read about on here week in week out.
    I ve just read Hengus s comments. Makes sense, but the diehards wont trust the suppliers.They are paranoid enough not to want a smart meter so they won t believe its disabled and the many people engaged in the free energy game will not want one at any price. Warrants will have to be obtained to fit them.
    .I m finding more and more people nowadays will not open the door to me, they are in and look through the window, but they wont open the door to me so a meter fitter will also get short shrift.
  • Interesting article here https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/06/smart_meters_prove_dim/

Yet another reason not to rush to have one installed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure