BudgetTastic Still Wants To Buy A House (and be MF!)

BudgetTastic
BudgetTastic Posts: 56 Forumite
edited 22 November 2014 at 12:56PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Hi everyone, I haven't posted for ages and I kind of ditched my old 'saving for a house deposit' thread unexpectedly. Life got a little bit crazy and plans changed. I have moved out of my parents place and I am now renting on my own. I got a transfer with my job and I was promoted at the same time. So a lot of my money was spent on getting myself moved out and re-situated, purchasing furniture and household stuff, etc. etc.

Anyway, enough about that.

A bit about myself - I am an (almost) 21 year old gal. Currently single. I work in banking, part time (4 days per week) and my plan is to begin studying a Bachelor of Commerce (majoring in Finance) next year and use my one weekday off as my official study day, as well as weekends. I'm not 100% sure on an exact career path yet (is anyone?) but I know that some time in the near of far future I will get to a point where I will need a degree to progress further. I have only recently finished my training for my new role so I am facing a very steep learning curve at the moment. It is very challenging, but I know that it will pay off soon.

So my new plan is to purchase a small flat or unit type thing. Hopefully for under $200k, but who knows what the housing market will be like by the time I am ready to buy. Ultimately I would like to get my own place in 2 years or so. Hopefully within 18 months if I really get crackalackin'.

My work offers a staff benefit where you are able to take out a mortgage without Lender's Mortgage Insurance with only a 10% deposit, rather than the usual 20%. I will be taking full advantage of this, so my savings goal is $20-$25k, or hopefully less if I can find a cheaper place.

So here is my budget:

(Monthly)

Income: $2528

Rent: $720
Electricity: $100?
Phone/Internet: $139
Food/Household: $400
Contents Insurance: $20
Health Insurance $60
Car-related: $200
Personal Spending: $400*

Total Expenses = $2039
Left Over = $489

Electricity will probably be way less than that, but I have overestimated it for now because I haven't got a bill yet so I have no idea what it actually is. Personal Spending includes everything from clothes, medication, entertainment, petrol for my car, etc. I am working on getting this down and figuring out what I actually need and what I am able to cut out. Also working at hacking down the grocery budget.

So far I have saved up an Emergency Fund of $10k which is around 6 months of necessary expenses.

As well as $2589 towards my House Deposit goal.

So here we go again…

Wish me luck, friends.
$10k Emergency Fund - DONE!

Saving for a House Deposit
$6677.99 / $20,000

Comments

• Well today was definitely not a NSD or even an LSD.

Spent around $90 on grocery shopping and I will have to make it last until next weekend. Should be do-able.

Also spent $27.51 on some new makeup. Foundation and mascara. I did already have some but it is slightly too dark and didn't really agree with my skin so I got fed up with and decided to replace it.

I'd put money aside for that so no harm done there.

I spent the morning doing housework and then grocery shopping. It is boiling hot here (32 degrees inside) and I don't have air conditioning, so I have made the executive decision to spend the rest of the afternoon on the couch with a good book and two fans pointed at me.

Here's hoping I don't actually melt.

$6677.99 / $20,000
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Sounds like a great plan to me, just to make you feel better it is cold, damp and grey here. Good luck with your plan it looks like it is entirely doable judging by how much you have saved already.
  • Thanks for visiting my thread tootallulah!

So yesterday I listed a Guess Wallet on eBay (was an unwanted gift) and it has sold for $15, so now I am just waiting for my buyer to pay so that I can post it. :j

It's Monday morning here and I am soo not motivated to go to work today :( I stayed up way too late last night reading.

I have only just finished training for my new job. I still have pretty much no idea what the F I am doing. Moving out and getting a new job went really smoothly but it has still been really stressful. I am so far out of my comfort zone it's insane. I know that hard work pays off in the end, but for now I just feel completely :eek:

$6677.99 / $20,000
  • Woohoo! Today was payday! :j

So that's $242.45 to the savings!

I made $14.14 on a coach wallet that I sold on eBay, so I've chucked that in as well.

Which brings my total to $2846.19

Have updated signature! :T

Today was a really long day at work, as was the day before. Hopefully tomorrow should be better. I am drinking a cup of hot chocolate and then off to bed. It's about 10pm here.

$6677.99 / $20,000
  • TGIF. That's all I have to say about the week that was.

I am going to try and get some Christmas shopping done this weekend. I have money put aside for that thank goodness. Thankfully I only really need to buy for my Mum, sister and maybe my aunt and uncle.

The car needs petrol too :(

Definitely not a no spend weekend. :naughty:

$6677.99 / $20,000
  • JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Good luck with your savings plans!

I notice all your figures are in dollars...are you in america? We dont get many americans on here!
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • BudgetTastic
    BudgetTastic Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2014 at 12:26AM
    JimLad wrote: »
    Good luck with your savings plans!

I notice all your figures are in dollars...are you in america? We dont get many americans on here!

Hey! Nope, not America. Australia!

Sometimes I wish I was in America. Everything is super expensive in Aus.

$6677.99 / $20,000
  • Got paid interest on my savings accounts so that's $35.07 to the savings, new total is $2881.26 :T

Yesterday's attempt at Christmas shopping was a massive fail. I didn't end up buying a single thing. I looked in so many shops but I didn't see anything that seemed suitable for anyone. :(

Better luck next weekend I suppose.

My plan for today (Sunday) is a bit of housework - vacuum/mop floors, washing, ironing, cleaning the bathroom, a quick trip to the grocery store for just a few things and then sweet, sweet, relaxation.

$6677.99 / $20,000
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi budgetastic just wanted to say welcome :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly wrote: »
    Hi budgetastic just wanted to say welcome :)

Thankyou!

So another payday has came and gone. I got paid for some extra hours that I'd put in so I was able to put $480 in the saving plus some interest earned on one of my savings accounts which was $8.83

My new total is $3368.96. :T

Work has been a lot better this last week. I finally feel like I am actually settled in, which is nice :j

I've got nothing planned for this weekend. All my Christmas shopping is done. Only 1 week of work left and then I'm on xmas break! I plan to spend the rest of my day doing absolutely nothing (maybe a little bit of housework :p) it is rainy and gloomy here so why not!

Fish & chips (from a box) for lunch.

Such a thrilling life I lead lol.

$6677.99 / $20,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts