Countdown to Freedom

Comments

• Dimbo and Billy, the amount of interest you have saved is phenomenal. When you hear about the banking benefits, bonuses and salaries etc I find it quite frustrating so absolutely applaud any way of reducing the amount of £ that go into their coffers.

This coming weekend we will be sitting with spreadsheets at the ready to plan the last 4 months before we move mortgages as we need to save as much as possible. After that it is stick with the plan until March.

Thanks for your posts.
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Welcome to the boards and good luck! I am very flattered to have a name check :o, although not sure how my ramblings help anyone apart from me! Definitely use these boards to keep motivated, I very rarely talk about my MF dreams outside these boards now.

I have a monthly mortgage statement sent to me from FD for free, that helps keep me and OH massively motivated, just seeing the figure come down. It never goes down quite as quick as I want, but patience is a skill that MFWs are short on!

Please keep posting, I'm sure you'll sail past me (even with my smaller mortgage), so you can wait for me at the MFW finish line. Have a G&T ready for me though won't you ;).
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • G&T at the finish line sounds like an excellent idea, along with the ability to make decisions based on what we want to do, not what we have to do. We are moving to FD and the monthly statement will be a big help.

With the 'Spanish' bank I have tried to over pay so many times and without fail it was always a disaster, so I ended up reducing the term instead. In fact I actually ended up getting compensation the last time it was messed up so I gratefully put that into a savings account in readiness for March.

Have just returned from the O2 having seen the Red Hot Chilli Peppers so I have a happy DH, and apart from train fare which came out of unspent housekeeping, it was a cheap night. The tickets were his birthday present so spends already accounted for.

I think I will have to get DH reading Billy's diary to get some clues for my next big birthday! :rotfl:

Feeling a bit bushed but my mind is still thinking about spreadsheets so perhaps I need to get out more.......or just build myself a mortgage pig!

Enough for now, goodnight to anyone still online.
  • Keeping making effort and since you and your hunsband are all in relatively high salary, so if you keep good saving project. you goal to finish the mortage within 6 years may come true. Go for it,
  • Quick update on the planning: we have now got a lodger who is staying Monday-Friday and will enable us to earn up to the allowed 'rent a room scheme' maximum before having to pay tax. As we have often had friends, lost souls, au pairs with us in the past, it's no hardship and we will have the house to ourselves from Friday through Monday afternoon.

This will enable a transfer into savings, if that makes more sense taking interest rates into consideration, or could be straight capital repayment each week. However capital repayments only from March 2012 when mortgage shifts.

Big decision but one which will be a significant help.

Billy, have read your plans for the big house and it did cross my mind that we could build after clearing this mortgage, to which my DH groaned. I always like a challenge!

Onwards and upwards.
  • Just noticed I now have a star !!!!!!
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Tilly, have just found your diary and wanted to wish you luck on your MF diary. I'll be following to see how you are getting on.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Thanks CathT for your support. I really admire the relationships you have built up here, although, I appreciate they are mainly 'virtual'. Knowing there are like minded people who will not judge and can give advice/support is a tremendus help.

Good luck on your journey too.
  • wynnvegas
    wynnvegas Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi Tilly,

I'll track the "big house" journey in it's entirety. Hopefully we'll have the thing built well before 2018 so there will be hardships and lessons you can learn from. First bit of advice - start land hunting now (maybe not quite now!) as it's properly difficult to find a nice plot that ticks all the boxes.

Cheers,

Billy
    Mortgage Free: 28/10/2010
    Time / Interest Saved: 18.5 years / £61,866.50
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You are a " star " and so is everyone on MF
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing