Raquela's debt journey...

Options

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Raquela wrote:
    Hi, thanks for your reply

I'm doing a law degree! does that explain?!

Not even close. My brother has just finished his law degree. He managed a 20hr a week job at a call centre at the same time.
  • oriana
    oriana Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    hi raquela,

i know what you mean about the law books, they are extortinate!! but why dont you club together with other people on your course to buy books? it is a bit inconvenient when essays are due etc, but with a bit of forward-planning it can be done, and will be a MASSIVE saving.

also even a small, flexible part-time job will make a difference, perhaps you could do temping? that way you dont have to work when essays/exams are on & maybe even get some relevant experience?

im a bit worried as to how you will get through your next two yrs? (plus LPC/BVC?) at this rate you are going to graduate with humungous debt problems, and that could jeopardise a career in law, if your creditors get nasty etc. Sorry if im stating the obvious.

you are definitely right to be concerned and i wish you luck and hope you get this sorted out soon.

x
  • loubie_lou
    loubie_lou Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Raquela,

It's your life....It's your course.....you don't have to read the advice of people like conor because some of us unfortunately are not perfect as him or his brothers seem to be.....

Good luck!
    In debt no more!
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    But it is worth considering having a job, and Conor was trying to help, even if it hit the wrong note with you
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • loubie_lou
    Options
    Yes maybe but in the end it's up to Raquela really. Just don't like peoeple who cannot empathise.
    In debt no more!
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    What's it like living in a world wrapped up in cotton wool where nobody ever says anything bad to you?

When letters come through the door telling you something you don't want to hear, do you pretend they don't exist?
  • loubie_lou
    Options
    Well I maybe in debt but in control of it so letters aren't coming through my door! Some people may bury their head in the sand but this forum is for people to seek help and advice if they want it and not to be criticised.

Anyway i'm not hijacking someone elses thread to have an argument. Merely stating my opinion if you don't like it then thats your problem.

It's raquela's thread anyway so good look to her whatever she decides to do.
    In debt no more!
  • Raquela
    Raquela Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    Conor wrote:
    Why can't you do a part time job? One of my brothers did a business degree and the other has just finished a law degree. Both had part time jobs doing 20 hours a week at call centres, usually taking the evening shifts.

May surprise you, but there's alot of people working in jobs doing 60+ hrs a week. Even doing an electronics engineering degree which has one of the highest amount of hours on campus, you won't do 40 hrs.

I simply don't have time. maybe your brothers were cleverer than me?! Seriously, I am supposed to study 35 hours a week, I study closer to 60, and am still permanently behind and getting 2.2's. Dyslexia issues don't help either. I do do odds and ends when I can, but I seriously can't hold down a permanent commitment unless it's like what i did last year.
  • Raquela
    Options
    yes. PLEASE stop having an argument in my nice shiny new thread!!! Otherwise I'll cry.

I do appreciate that a job is necessary you guys, it's just I can't hold one down permanently as stated in previous thread. Everyone is different, and works to different paces, and unfortunately it's sad that I can't work to the speed that others can. Therefore I will keep doing the way I am and getting bits here and there as possible. I am v lucky that my ex-employers give me work here and there, and pay me my old rate too, and all travel costs. I also am the first to admit that I have family who would bail me out at a moment if things got really bad, but I'm at the stage where I really want to sort this out myself. Also all law degrees at all universities are not all the same... mine is *very* intensive from what I've gathered compared to people I know at other universities. I'm not for one moment Conor suggesting your brother went to a crap university, just trying to put in perspective for people who may not understand - see my figures in previous post.

Oriana; that's a really good idea, thanks, I'll definitely consider that in 4th year. I'm hoping next year I might be able to get away with not buying any.

Cheers all!!

PS. Ebayage of my CD collection is also a small help - just took advantage of their cheap listings day :-)
  • Raquela
    Options
    PS. sorry missed out Bunnyhop! yes, we do have a jobshop sort of thing, and I do check it regularly, thanks for your post :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure