Applying for a Mortgage after bankruptcy - 6 years

Hi Guys,

So I was declared bankrupt in December 2011 and was discharged in December 2012 exactly 12 months later.
I was under the impression this would be of my records 5-6 years later so now?

I have just applied for a mortgage and have been rejected.

I found an old credit report from a few years back which showed some of the default accounts were not marked as default until Deb/ March and the latest July 2012 which means these would be on my file until later this year – am I right?

Some years back I saw on there a letter you can send off to creditors and a process you can follow to get these dates amended to your bankruptcy date – is this still available and can someone let me know what I need to do please?

Also how easy is it to find the right address / email / department for companies such as Barclaycard, MBNA, Leeds Building society, Shop direct finance and Santander as these are all the companies not showing the correct date on my files.

ON a side note …..As well as this I got married 2 half years ago and my married name and maiden name haven’t linked up on my credit file despite me changing my name with the banks / accounts and being on the electoral roll. I did a report in my married name before Christmas and realised then none of my maiden name history has shown up …. So today I have signed up for an Experian trial and used my maiden name and it has said they need to do some security checks before I can gain access to my account and report?! I am assuming this is down to my maiden / married name maybe… I was told this would change automatically and am hoping once they have done there checks and contacted me this will then link up. ?

Thanks for your help in advance, I need to get this sorted asap so any help would be appreciated.
I have posted this in two sections as wasn't sure which was most appropriate and hope this is okay :)

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,846 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

You simply write to, or phoning can work just as well, each creditor whose entry is incorrect, its the compliance officer or dept you need to speak to, explain about your bankruptcy, and that the dates on your file should all correspond with the date of your bankruptcy.

Ask them to correct the error, they should do so straight away, as its a pre-determined procedure for bankrupts, and they cannot refuse.

Any problems, contact the ICO for help.

Your file may take a month or so to update, dependent on the CRA.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • em1986
    em1986 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Thanks for your information.
    I will give them all a call later this week and try and get this resolved. !
    Do you know what I need to do to link my maiden name and married name on my credit report?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,846 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    em1986 wrote: »
    Thanks for your information.
    I will give them all a call later this week and try and get this resolved. !
    Do you know what I need to do to link my maiden name and married name on my credit report?

Try the help section on the CRA’s website.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure