PPI Credit Card help please

I was looking for some help.

In 2005 i had a credit card out with BOS. i decided to investigate if i had PPI, i filled out all the forms and spoke to them on the phone, to which they said i had PPI out on the credit card. I received a letter saying i was not entitled to anything as they believe they verbally explained to me PPI. I contested and went to financial services ombudsman. This morning i received a letter saying i can expect a payout from BOS with in 8 weeks.. great.

Here is my problem, how will i know if i am going to receive the correct amount. I don't have any of the paperwork as it was back in 2005. All i know is i had a credit card in 2005 that was £1500, i paid PPI for 18 months, the credit card went into debt recovery in 2008, i was young and couldn't pay it back. I eventually paid off everything in 2015.

Should i just accept whatever the bank offers me back? Do i qualify for the 8% interest that i am hearing so much about? If so what time period is that over?

An help greatly appreciated. :j

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    xsazax wrote: »

Here is my problem, how will i know if i am going to receive the correct amount.
    Unless you have statements showing the amounts of PPI you paid, you can't personally check. However, unless the bank's records are also incomplete, you will indeed receive back all you paid with interest added on top.

The one "fly in the ointment" is that you say the account defaulted. If the Bank wrote off any monies (as part of a debt management programme for example) then these amounts can be offset against any refund you receive.

If you paid back the whole amount owed then your redress will be unaffected.
  • xsazax
    xsazax Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks

Yes i paid back the whole lot so BOS were completely satisfied. Just hard knowing what to receive with out knowing all the ins and outs, i might just accept what is offered, anything is a bonus really as i didnt even know i had PPI in the first instance
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The refund method is defined, if they know the balances they can do an exact amount else they can reconstruct based on average spending for any records you or they have. 8% simple (not compound) interest is applicable on every refund on a year by year basis
  • xsazax
    xsazax Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    That's good to hear, i'm so new to this but what i'm understanding there is no way they can get round it, what i paid out is what i will get back? and i should receive it with 8% interest?

Another question regarding the interest, will the interest be over the 18 months of paying PPI or is it the length of time i had the credit card?

If i was to contact the bank to ask for the records would i be able to receive them?

I really should just be patient i know, i find all this PPI an interesting topic.

Thank you all for your help
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    xsazax wrote: »
    That's good to hear, i'm so new to this but what i'm understanding there is no way they can get round it, what i paid out is what i will get back? and i should receive it with 8% interest?

Another question regarding the interest, will the interest be over the 18 months of paying PPI or is it the length of time i had the credit card?

If i was to contact the bank to ask for the records would i be able to receive them?

I really should just be patient i know, i find all this PPI an interesting topic.

Thank you all for your help

They have to pay back what you paid, plus the associated 8% annual interest + with credit cards any other interest that you paid as a result of the PPI

See the official policy here:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/ppi/redress.html#redresscc

If the bank has records they will pay it back based on that - you can ask for copies of the records but it will cost you £10
  • The one "fly in the ointment" is that you say the account defaulted. If the Bank wrote off any monies (as part of a debt management programme for example) then these amounts can be offset against any refund you receive.

Does this still apply if the debt is statute barred?
    I'm Ever hopeful!
    :j:j:j:j
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Does this still apply if the debt is statute barred?

statute barred doesnt mean you no longer owe the money. it means they will not come after you for it through the courts. PPI redress payments can be offset against statute barred debts.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure