1st Central Car Insurance

Two years ago I cancelled my 1st Central Car Insurance policy and it was straight forward no issues or problems. However now I have received a letter from them that I have outstanding balance of £35 that I must pay them and if I don't it will be passed to debt collection agency.

At time of cancellation 2 years ago no mention was made of any outstanding balance. So why 2 years later are they chasing me for this supposed outstanding balance. It seems so bizarre that I'm wondering if its a scam. What do you think or has anyone experienced this kind of thing?

Thanks

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Try sending them a polite and concise letter headed "Official Complaint".

They are duty bound to fully investigate your complaint and report back to you within eight weeks.

They will cease pursuing the debt during this period.

Many Insurers will write a small charge such this when you complain.

I suggest you complain about the delay in contacting you and dispute the charge
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    buzi wrote: »
    ......So why 2 years later are they chasing me for this supposed outstanding balance......

Creditors have 6 years to take legal action over debts.

Ask them to itemise the debt now being chased and take it from their reply
  • buzi
    buzi Posts: 139 Forumite
    Quentin wrote: »
    Creditors have 6 years to take legal action over debts.

That was one of the things I checked but what puzzles me is why the 2 year wait before demanding this payment.
  • buzi
    Update:

I followed dacouch's advice and a good result, 1st Central have cancelled the charge and issued an apology. Thanks again dacouch!
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    buzi wrote: »
    Update:

I followed dacouch's advice and a good result, 1st Central have cancelled the charge and issued an apology. Thanks again dacouch!

You probably did owe them the money but a well worded and polite letter of complaint can often gain a good result when it comes to financial services companies.

If you had sent them an abusive long winded complaint insulting their company you would most likely have found they would have pursued you for the money.

P.S They responded very quickly, they had upto eight weeks to complete your complaint
  • buzi
    dacouch wrote: »
    P.S They responded very quickly, they had upto eight weeks to complete your complaint
    Yes they dealt with it quickly so fair do's to them and good that MSE forum exists for you to pass on the good advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure