Help with mathematic problem solving question.

13»

Comments

• theoretica wrote: »
    Put the digital calculator away and do mental arithmetic.
    The most important piece of advice in the whole topic. :T
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Feebie
    Feebie Posts: 58 Forumite
    edited 1 October 2016 at 12:58PM
    Kind of! In this particular instance, it's easier to work mentally, but please don't underestimate the need for maths students to be able to use a calculator efficiently and effectively (e.g. knowing how to use the fraction button). In my experience, poor calculator skills can have a detrimental effect on achievement in the subject and given the new GCSE is two-thirds calculator based, they're now more important than ever.
  • I have my A level and S level (do those still exist?) maths, and did an engineering degree more than half my lifetime ago; I know that calculators are necessary. For this problem they aren't and just make it more difficult. Knowing when to use the calculator and when not to is a vital skill too.

I'm not one of those that rant about calculators making maths too easy, because people who say that tend to think there is no more to mathematics than arithmetic and long division is as difficult as it gets :rotfl: .
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Feebie
    I have my A level and S level (do those still exist?) maths, and did an engineering degree more than half my lifetime ago; I know that calculators are necessary. For this problem they aren't and just make it more difficult. Knowing when to use the calculator and when not to is a vital skill too.

I'm not one of those that rant about calculators making maths too easy, because people who say that tend to think there is no more to mathematics than arithmetic and long division is as difficult as it gets :rotfl: .

No, I recognise that you weren't, apologies if my post suggested this. I get frustrated when I see students trying to perform complex (or even simple) arithmetic when there is no need and they have a valuable tool at their disposal. If the op is helping his nephew with his maths, I thought I'd chip in as this may be something he could help him with too.

Haven't come across s papers in my teaching career - although I did the economics one more than half my lifetime ago :-)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    As former maths teacher, I think that, beyond showing a child how useful a calculator can be, they should be banned from use in maths work, until secondary school.

A big problem with calculators is the fact that many people don't realise what type of calculator they are using; basic and scientific ones, working in different ways.

A basic calculator, as found on computers, works the four rules in the order given, whereas a scientific one works according to BODMAS (ie brackets first, then any multiplications and divisions, followed by additions and subtractions)

3X4-2X5

A basic calculator does 3X4=12, 12-2=10, 10X5=50

Whereas the other works 3X4=12, 2X5=10, 12-10=2

This calculation usually intends (3X4)-(2X5), making the second the desired answer.

I agree with the above ie don't use a calculator for fraction questions as the child is required to practice cancelling and conversion between decimal and 'vulgar' fractions often doesn't give an exact answer.
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why do you have to help him at all? It is his homework, presumably to practise something he has been taught in class. If he can't do it, he hasn't been listening, or the teacher has not explained it properly.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    For the 1.8/1.5, the simplest way is to convert this to 18/15. Then to convert this to the simplest fraction you note that both 18 and 15 are divisible by 3, which gives you 6/5.
  • Feebie
    Teddy's mum - for some reason, I had assumed the nephew to be in secondary school, hence advice about calculators (we expect students to use scientific ones so no worries with order of operations). But, yes, if nephew is in primary school, totally different!
  • Why do you have to help him at all? It is his homework, presumably to practise something he has been taught in class. If he can't do it, he hasn't been listening, or the teacher has not explained it properly.

He isn't particularly good at mathematics, so as a caring uncle I wanted to help him.

A teacher teaching a class of 20 or more pupils is never going to be able to ensure everyone student has grasped what they have been taught. If it was as simple as you've put it then every student would flourish within the schooling system.
    Girlie Girl
  • I appreciate your point. Especially in primary school.
    As a retired secondary teacher, if I realised a parent , or relative, had been too involved in a pupil's homework, they would get no marks, but jokingly tell them that their dad could have 10/10 . The point being whether the child has learned from the homework.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure