Does anyone burn to Peat?

Does anyone burn Peat on a logburner? We have been going through quite a number of logs so wanted to try something different.

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ive burned it in my multifuel and tbh I can't abide the smell
  • I've burnt quite a bit in the past. I quite like the smell but can understand why some people wouldn't. Peat makes quite a lot of fine ash and I would say its more of a mess than logs. I does create a lot of heat, but wouldn't say it lasts longer than logs. It also stays hot for a long time. First time I used it I cleaned out the fire the next day, and the ash was still hot. I have a melted plastic bucket to prove it :)

I would give it a go and see what you think
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    owen_money wrote: »
    I've burnt quite a bit in the past. I quite like the smell but can understand why some people wouldn't. Peat makes quite a lot of fine ash and I would say its more of a mess than logs. I does create a lot of heat, but wouldn't say it lasts longer than logs. It also stays hot for a long time. First time I used it I cleaned out the fire the next day, and the ash was still hot. I have a melted plastic bucket to prove it :)

I would give it a go and see what you think

You clean ash out into a plastic bucket?
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't. Fuel retailers say nice things about it, but what they don't tell you is how bad it is for the environment digging up peat bogs. They're a unique habitat for wildlife, and they take a very long time to deposit layers. I see them as similar to old-growth forests, distinct places that's won't come back if we remove them.

One alternative I liked a lot is manufactured logs, they're often made from things like sawmill waste (you'd have to check what is in a brand if curious), but I found they can burn a long time with excellent heat output. Their lower moisture content and density really does make a difference.
  • mumf wrote: »
    You clean ash out into a plastic bucket?

Well yes or I wouldnt have wrote it
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • Ben84 wrote: »
    I don't. Fuel retailers say nice things about it, but what they don't tell you is how bad it is for the environment digging up peat bogs. They're a unique habitat for wildlife, and they take a very long time to deposit layers. I see them as similar to old-growth forests, distinct places that's won't come back if we remove them.

One alternative I liked a lot is manufactured logs, they're often made from things like sawmill waste (you'd have to check what is in a brand if curious), but I found they can burn a long time with excellent heat output. Their lower moisture content and density really does make a difference.

As well as releasing carbon into the atmosphere. Peat contains a lot of CO2, responsible for Climate Change
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As well as releasing carbon into the atmosphere. Peat contains a lot of CO2, responsible for Climate Change

Which, even if it is true, is also going to be a problem with any of the fuels discussed on this forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure