PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Purple Bricks (Hull)

Options
Hello, I am looking to put my house up for sale. Any thoughts on using Purple Bricks, they are a hell of a lot cheaper than most of the agents in Hull.

Kind regards

Comments

• alumende27
    Options
    You should be aware that you'll be expected to use a conveyancer that they want you to use, otherwise you'll need to pay their full fees in advance. If they don't sell your house within 10 months, you'll need to pay them their full fees. If you decide to withdraw from using them you'll need to pay their full fees.

If you use a regular estate agent you don't pay anything unless they successfully sell your house.

Whether you use them or a local estate agent, get at least three valuations and perhaps mention to the local estate agents you're thinking of using purple bricks, they may lower their commission.
  • bigjhon
    Options
    Thank you I will mention it to the estate agents I have had out and see if there is any reduction in fees.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've used emoov who don't force you to use their conveyancer. You don't have to pay in advance, though the payment on completion/one year involves a third party credit agreement. Not sure if this could impact mortgages in some scenarios.

Shop around for the online agents too.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • sheff6107
    Options
    Depends what you're selling. I've sold a flat in 6 weeks with an online agent but with a house I started getting a lot more viewings after I'd ditched the online company and went local. No idea why that should be
  • 3card
    3card Posts: 437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Here's my experience of Purplebricks from a buyers point of view.

I have been looking for a property for investment and saw a possible leasehold property that PB were advertising so i rang them for the lease details.
    They said i would need to speak to their local rep. Upon ringing him he said the way to find these answers is to go onto their website listing and click on 'ask the seller a question'
    I did this but to ask a question i had to register on the website which i did.
    After registering and clicking on the option it then proceeded to tell me to ask a question i would need to arrange a viewing.

At this stage i closed it down and i have not shown any interest in any properties marketed with PB since
  • kinger101
    Options
    sheff6107 wrote: »
    Depends what you're selling. I've sold a flat in 6 weeks with an online agent but with a house I started getting a lot more viewings after I'd ditched the online company and went local. No idea why that should be

You do pretty much need to write you own property description (with Emoov at least) but it's not rocket surgery. Purple Bricks seem the most commonly used online agent in my village, and I'd say they seem to shift things at least as well as the other high street agents. Indeed, one went SSTC in one day recently.

My feeling is if the house sells itself, use the online agent.

The one I'm rather suspicious of is Tepilo. I got them to do the free online valuation of mine and they were about £40K over anything remotely sensible. Half the properties they have advertised are at bat5h1t crazy prices.
  • sn1987a
    sn1987a Posts: 453 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is my limited experience as a buyer. I used purple bricks and local EAs to find a property. I liked purple bricks, I could book appointments online and ask directly the seller questions by email. I was getting also notifications of other appointments and offers on the saved properties, so I could see how popular the properties were. I didn't speak at all to a purple bricks EA for the property I wanted, before my offer was accepted (but maybe that was the seller's choice). However, the local EA were quite pushy in promoting houses and chasing me up to arrange viewings and give feedback. If I want to sell, I would probably go for an EA. I think that for some people it is easier to speak to an EA than create an account and use the purple bricks website.
  • boandelvis
    boandelvis Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Theyve changed the advert now but the two clowns on the ad they used to run would put me off even looking at the site
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There's a Hull estate agent who leafleted my area (West Hull) recently advertising "sell your house for £499" no vat, no sale no fee, no withdrawal fee, no tie in period. I doubt Purple Bricks can beat that deal

They're on Cottingham Road. Don't know if I'm allowed to name them on the forum.
  • kinger101
    edited 1 March 2017 at 1:53AM
    Options
    boandelvis wrote: »
    Theyve changed the advert now but the two clowns on the ad they used to run would put me off even looking at the site

Looking at the site? Not sure what you mean. If you're selling, but all means pay hundreds or thousands more for the privilege of a high street agent. If you're buying, the houses are advertised on rightmove and zoopla. Exclude them if you wish to limit your search for trivial reasons.

I've not used Purple Bricks before, but I've just saved myself £1,800 by using a similar outfit. Just thought I'd mention it. This being a site about saving money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport