PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Writing a will

Comments

• seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It's also worth noting that any wills made before marriage are made null and void on marriage. You would need to right a new will and I don't think any will you write now can take into account marriage to an unknown person.

It's one of the many reasons that I wouldn't do a diy will and would recommend using a professional.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The cost of having a will written properly is usually modest. Go to a solicitor and get it done.
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    In your situation I do not know why you bother with life insurance. Each to their own though.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • MEM62
    Niv wrote: »
    In your situation I do not know why you bother with life insurance. Each to their own though.

It could be a condition of the mortgage.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Agree in your situation you don't need life insurance, but you might to wise to look at critical illness cover so you dont find yourself being in the position of being unable to work and unable to pay the mortgage.
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    MEM62 wrote: »

Oh right, I have had 3 or 4 mortgages and it has never been a condition so that didn't cross my mind.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    MEM62 wrote: »

Thought that had been banned.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    You'll have a solicitor to buy the house (congratulations, by the way!) - ask them what the additional fee for a will would be. Simpler to get it done in one place?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 March 2017 at 9:10PM
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    Just to say, with 'free wills' the charity doesn't pay, The solicitor does. Basically they donate their time and expertise for free on the basis that you make a donation to the charity instead of paying for the legal work. in some cass the donation to the charity is upfront, e.f. you donate a minimum of £100 and get a free will, in others you don't pay at the time but include a gift to charity in your will.
    Strange!

Then why did my CancerUK recommended solicitor ask me to sign an invoice confirming to CancerUK that I had had a will satisfactorily drawn up......?

You may be thinking of solicitors participating in 'Free Wills Month' which is a different arrangement I believe.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/support-us/donate/leave-a-legacy-gift-in-your-will/free-will-service
  • MEM62
    Thought that had been banned.

Really? If you have a high LTV then a mortgage underwriter may want some assurance that they are not going to be looking at a loss should something happen.

I would understand that if there was a ban on forcing you to take their insurance but asking you to have adequate cover with a provider if there is a perceived high risk to underwriting the mortgage is surely not unreasonable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure