Options

Comments

• Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nhserv wrote: »

We should have the choice.

I believe you can still find current account providers that don't do contactless cards (Santander, Nationwide), or who issue non-contactless as the default (TSB?). So you do have a choice.

Asking for all banks to offer the same is not realistic. It would be like asking all supermarkets to stock the same food.
  • bengal-stripe
    Options
    We should have the choice.
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    So you do have a choice.

At present you have the choice. Change bank if you need to!

(But if you have the choice in perpetuity, has to be seen.)
  • simonhunter87
    Options
    i have still yet to hear of/see online any crimes that are due to the contactless bit of a card.

and the banks all say if you were out of pocket because of it they will refund you.

those little scanners pick up the long card number and expiry date - there's really not much you can do with that anyway if u did get it? it's also given any time you use your card in any shop...this is usually displayed on a screen/receipt and any person who works in a shop can get access to it...so i don't see why people are suddenly concerned about this?
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    Really? Where's your evidence for such an assertion? It seems clear to me, from this forum and other sources, that there are a great many, like me, who have had this forced on them whether they like it or not.

Like all forum members of all forums everywhere on the internet you think that yours and a few other's comments are representative of the views of the population/users as a whole.
    In practice comments from the few sufficiently outraged to comment about whatever it is that they are offended by represent a microscopic fraction of the company's subscriber base. The other XX million users frankly don't give a toss.

I'm old enough to remember when cash ATM came in and we had the same stuff in the papers then about how it was going to be the end of the world with the new fangled cards with pin's to actually remember which would be impossible of course and were all going to run out of cash, how nobody wanted them...and so on.
  • GingerFurball_2
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    I believe you can still find current account providers that don't do contactless cards (Santander, Nationwide), or who issue non-contactless as the default (TSB?). So you do have a choice.

Asking for all banks to offer the same is not realistic. It would be like asking all supermarkets to stock the same food.

Lloyds allow you to opt out of contactless debit cards if you don't want one.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Uxb wrote: »
    I'm old enough to remember when cash ATM came in and we had the same stuff in the papers then about how it was going to be the end of the world with the new fangled cards with pin's to actually remember which would be impossible of course and were all going to run out of cash, how nobody wanted them...and so on.

The same sort of people probably complained about the introduction of the wheel.
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Options
    Barns wrote: »
    Keep each of the cards on different sides of your wallet, and separate the two with a small piece of aluminium foil. This will prevent them from interfering with each other.

Then simply tap the relevant side of the wallet onto the reader.

Won't work if you have more than 2 CPCs!
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone know if the chip in a bus pass works to protect a contactless debit card?
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • Telegraph_Sam
    Telegraph_Sam Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    May be someone could give me / us an update on the original title of this thread. I have just been given the usual "technological progress" spiel** by Barclaycard in response to my mistaken belief that with Visa as opposed to Mastercard one had the option to opt out. I believe that First Direct and HSBC still offer the security of PIN's - are they the only ones now???

[** to which my response is that in the event of the contactless card getting into the wrong hands, and these hands knowing how to take advantage of its limitations, the onus is on me, not on the card issuer, to spot and report the loss. Depending on the circumstances this could take some time - bank statements come only once a month and don't always get checked as thoroughly as may be desireable ...]
    Telegraph Sam
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 August 2015 at 9:31PM
    Options
    NatWest definitely don't allow you to opt out. This was my final straw with them after 5+ years. I started using my then second account with Nationwide as my main account. I have a card from them that isn't contactless (issued 2013) but according to their website, they now offer it. Whether they allow an opt out, time will tell.

Edit: I had a TSB card issued this year and it isn't contactless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure