PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• Actually, I was thinking as I'm putting on the hob to heat the ackee for breakfast I may as well cook the sweetcorn and the Quorn nuggets now. I will have the nuggets cold with salad instead of veggies and my husband can have the rest in rolls for lunch. I have some spinach and cherry tomatoes as well.

One thing I don't have is a microwave, I know some people think that is weird.:p It would come in handy to heat things up but we don't really have space.
  • Morning All,
    Crisp, sunny morning here, if I get a wiggle on I should be able to get some outdoor chores done before I have to go off to meet my bowling buddies after lunch.

I should have had yoghurt and the rest of the stewed apples for breakfast but I was in the mood for something savoury so had a stilton scone with some happy cow spreading cheese instead. Took some prawns out of the freezer to have with some lettuce, tomato and celeriac slaw for lunch.

Mediterranean stuffed peppers for tea, I'll prep the filling this morning so that I can just whack it all in the oven along with some garlic bread when I get home. Then feet up, glass of wine and strictly, what more could I need - well maybe a piece of bakewell tart :D - HH been thinking about this for days and have already added ground almonds and rasp jam to next weeks shopping list.

I doubt that ... you've moved in circles involving "the great unwashed" in recent days ....

I'm with you on this one...:eek: tiz the season for keeping gloves on or using coat sleeves to push shopping trolleys and touching door handles :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 30 September 2017 at 10:03AM
    You think you've got what you need... until you come to use it.

"All I wanted...." was to measure out half a tablespoon of something. I have two nested sets of measuring spoons, ideal. Trouble is, they both have 1 tablespoon, 1 teaspoon, ½ teaspoon, ¼ teaspoon. So now I'm faffing about with 1½ teaspoons of two liquid ingredients, which would've been much easier to measure/handle as a simple ½ tablespoon measure!

Annoying .... but not worth getting into a lather about. Trouble is, with tiny quantities there's the risk of getting the ratio wrong....

I'm making a smallish single jam tart (I think). It might end up as a lemon curd one.... have to see.

EDIT: Pastry made .... and chilling in the fridge. I could turn it into a tomato tartlet come to think of it ..... who knows what'll end up on it, eh! They mystery of "what you fancy right that moment"

EDIT: I think I'll stick to my original recipe, which makes double the quantity ... then there's no need for teaspoon faffing. This didn't quite make as much as I expected. I was trying a different dish for size...

EDIT: Still thinking what to do with this pastry.... I think I feel a cheese/tomato tartlet and chips coming on. So HARD to choose and decide! Cheese/onion, cheese/tomato, cheese/onion/tomato, tomato/onion .... with/without a bit of oregano .... and looking at that ....might as well call it a mini pizza .... and what about a bit of pepper ...and which colour ....
    grr... I can NEVER "choose".
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    ....happy cow spreading cheese
    I bet they're "a bit posh".
    I'd be using a L1dl/4ldi cheese triangle for that :)
  • I bet they're "a bit posh".
    I'd be using a L1dl/4ldi cheese triangle for that :)

Ssshhh......tis the L1dl one but she's smiling too :D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good morning everyone,
    I had a rough night with the lurgy but I do think it's on the wane thankfully :)though all my joints are still aching. It's dry and sunny here just now so I think some fresh air to blow the cobwebs away is needed.
    I've a a massive Brandywine tomato ripe so I think it will be getting stuffed with sausagemeat and chopped veg/garlic then baked for dinner tonight will make a nice change from my usual meals and isn't too much faff to make (provided I remember to defrost a couple of sausages:rotfl: )
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    edited 30 September 2017 at 11:14AM
    I'm now baking a mini cherry tomato & cheese tartlet :)
    Using ... 2 cherry tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of cheese :)

Should definitely have stuck with the original recipe and not tried to use a smaller/different dish.... it's tiny! :)

EDIT: Well, that was nice ..... but it was too small. I might make another one in a bit. I'm supposed to be using up the broccoli I stupidly bought ... so I might do a broccoli/cheese one in a bit.
  • Ahem....you do not want to know just how much food can be crammed into a 6' tall freezer. Errr.....rather a lot.....

I've just decided that now I've finished Project House I must make a serious start on Project Body - and the start is to re-organise my freezer and see just how much food of "Past Way of Eating" is in there.

Result - I'm trying not to think about it:eek:

Loads and loads and loads of fruit - that's fine.
    Loads of vegetables - that's fine.

But I've got one heck of a lot of cheese in there and some fake "meat" (ie quorn) and a few made-up bits.

So lunch today - I've just finished a stray chocolate brownie I found in there and I'll have to eat up the last of that vegetable soup.

I've hauled out some quorn "chicken" and some frozen canned tomatoes and home-made pesto and frozen peppers and that will be the basis of dinner I can see for the next couple of days.

I've decided to make cheese a very minimal/maybe non-existent part of my diet - and I've got loads in there. So it's the "mustnt waste money" scenario and I've decided I'm going to have to eat it up gradually and started by hauling out a pack of not-tried-it-yet type of cheese (Comte) and a pack of goats cheese to start with and to try and work my way through a pack or two of it a week until its gone.

Yep...I've found the downside of a combination of deciding to amend one's way of eating and having a large freezer....:(
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    Ahem....you do not want to know just how much food can be crammed into a 6' tall freezer. Errr.....rather a lot.....
    LOL ... it'll be Xmas in under 3 months. One way to "focus" might be to set out to completely empty the whole thing by 18 December .... leaving it entirely empty and ready to be filled for/after Xmas!
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    edited 30 September 2017 at 1:02PM
    2nd tartlet in the oven.... kept the same dish and doubled the pastry, to see how big this one turns out. Cheese/broccoli.... I was going to make it with tomato too and even sliced 2 cherry toms ... but the dish was too small for those to fit.

EDIT: Nom. That was nice, served it with chips & beans.

Tempted to make a third now..... but I won't, that'd just be daft.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure