£170000 in 10 years

Comments

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You are absolutely right of course Busy Mee1 ,its a matter of thinking outside the box .They are all great suggestions and i have done all those in the past and cleaning and i have been thinking maybe i should find a job again ,i do have plenty of time on my hands i guess its just laziness on my part but expecting the money to come to me without much effort is not likely ,i really do need a rethink about what i can or cant do ,i guess its called motivation and thats what seems to be lacking in some areas sadly .Thank you for that BusyMee1i will have a good think about it over the weekend and see what i can come up with but having a job would certainly bring in a regular income .
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Hi tryharder, dont be down hearted, finding £10 a day is more than I do and way more than most people! If you dont find it, be pleased that at least you are thinking and paying down your mortgage!

Keep up the great work!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • try_harder
    Thank you jodles16 for your encouragement .This week has started slightly better £10 a day made two days out of four ,an overpayment to the mortgage at last ,food budget on track and lots of items listed on ebay so a big improvement on last week .
  • try_harder
    Well the last day of the month and where did that month go to .To sum up 2017 mfw overpayments for the month very low ,i managed to overpay under £200 for the month instead of the £1150 i should have paid so a long ,long way off target.In slightly better news i managed to save £460 towards mortgage neutral plus it was one of my childrens birthdays and i also paid for eight of us to go out for dinner so im guessing a big spend this month of around £250 -£300 .Next month i have more childrens birthdays so i will have to work harder to spread the money round .I have joined the march food challenge and hoping to spend around £203 over the 31 days .
  • try_harder
    Just so i remember ,savings were down to £8000 after buying new car and paying for roof repairs ,i am now back up to £9000 and mortgage now stands at £165980 before interest is added on tomorrow but how lovely to see that 165 number
  • Well done TH, all moving in the right direction :)
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,879 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You're doing great TH!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• try_harder
    Thank you eating the elephant and the madvix .Sadly seeing the 165 numbers on the screen for the mortgage did not last long ,once all the interest was added on it became £166,457,an overpayment was made of £57 making total outstanding £166,400.Savings to be mortgage neutral are £9000 making £157557 still to find ,that seems such a huge amount i am so annoyed with myself ,all my family have now paid off their mortgages we all bought at roughly the same time and i am the only one that has been reckless with money ,how i wish i had known then what i know now.
    In brighter news i have sold an item on ebax for around £14 and my husband has had a good week at work which means the savings have been met this week and i will be transferring the money into his isa today ,i so hope i can reach the thousand pounds a month target this month .Also the food budget is going very well ,i hada £5 off £50 Waitrosx voucher and filled the freezer with Duchy organic meat which is on offer at the minute and Ecover washing liquid also on offer and two vouchers for free items that we had been given over the last two weeks we dont tend to eat a lot of meat but my son does like it .
  • amydoll83
    amydoll83 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Try Harder!

I've just finished reading your diary, and think you are doing amazingly well!

My OH and I don't have a mortgage atm, but are saving for our deposit, which is easier said than done as I'm currently on maternity leave (daughter is 8 weeks today!) and maternity pay is pants!

The pants maternity pay has led me to making money in other ways, and thought you may be interested.

I'm a member of maximiles (survey site) you get points (varying amounts) surveys, if you don't fit what they are looking for you get 5 points anyway, you also get points for watching videos (usually no longer than 3-4 minutes). There are lots more ways to earn points, and you can use the points for gifts, experiences, and gift cards. I've been doing this since my daughter was 2 weeks old, and I'm at 3245 points (i need 6500 for a £25 Sainsbury gift card). Which ill save towards Christmas - who knows I might even get 2 or 3 Sainsbury gift cards ��

I also signed up to Opinion Outpost. Again surveys, which I receive quite regularly, and again a points system (are all survey sites points systems?) You need to reach 50 points to get a voucher code of £2.50 for Amazon. In the 3 weeks I've been doing surveys with them I've cashed out 3 times, so £7.50 in Amazon which I'm saving for Christmas and/or daughters birthday.

Finally, I use a couple of apps on my phones. On my Android phone I have an app called shopprize, it's basically market research. The idea is you take a photo of your shopping receipt and collect points (points again!) You also get points for opening the app every day. When you reach 10000 points you cash out for a £5 amazon voucher code. You can upload 5 receipts a day. I achieve this in 2 ways, I ask my family and friends for receipts, and I also split my daily shopping into 2 transactions. Since mid December I have accumulated £35 in my amazon account (Christmas and birthday again).

Finally I have an old iPhone and loaded an app called receipt hog, it's similar to shopprize, but takes longer to accumulate points and is restricted to 20 receipts every week(you get more points for for more expensive receipts. Again pays out in Amazon vouch e r codes, or PayPal. (My IPhone is just connected to my internet, I don't have 2 phones which I actually use).

I'm sorry that my post is so long winded, but my way of thinking is that with each £2.50 or £5 I have in my Amazon account that's effectively money I won't have to pay out at Christmas (does that make sense?) And can therefore go towards our deposit.

At the rate I'm going I could have £250+ in Amazon and £25 (hopefully £50 or even £75) in Sainsbury gift cards by the end of the year!

Are these possibly things you could do,except transferring the voucher code/gift card amount into your savings or off your mortgage?
  • try_harder
    Thank you amydoll83 for all the good advice ,the survey sites sound really good ,i will have a look at them next week when i have more time to concentrate i have several children here at the minute and more arriving later today but thank you very much for that it all adds up.You sound like you are doing really well you should have a good amount by the end of the year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure