Train Ticket Question

I need a single ticket from Victoria to Polegate on Friday 30th December. A single is £29ish whereas a day return (from Polegate to Victoria) is £11ish, can I buy the day return and just use the return part or will it know I didn't use the outward part and not let me come back?
xxx Nikki xxx

Comments

• elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    Are you sure the £11 is not for Advance tickets (which are for specific trains only?)

Are you using a Railcard?
  • Nikkisun
    Nikkisun Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    elverson wrote: »
    Are you sure the £11 is not for Advance tickets (which are for specific trains only?)

Are you using a Railcard?

It's not an advance ticket it's a super off peak day return. Yes I'll be using a 16-25 railcard.
    xxx Nikki xxx
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I suspect it will depend what time of day you are going to be travelling. If you try using the return half at 09.30 you are likely to have problems. If you are going to be getting a train in the late afternoon or evening there would be no way of telling you haven't used the outbound portion.
  • Nikkisun
    martindow wrote: »
    I suspect it will depend what time of day you are going to be travelling. If you try using the return half at 09.30 you are likely to have problems. If you are going to be getting a train in the late afternoon or evening there would be no way of telling you haven't used the outbound portion.

Thanks - I won't be using the return part until around 8pm so should be ok I hope!
    xxx Nikki xxx
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    An Off Peak Day Single from Victoria to Polegate is £19.40 with railcard, not £29ish.
  • Nikkisun
    Apologies I meant £19ish - slip of the finger! £11.80 is still cheaper though!
    xxx Nikki xxx
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nikkisun wrote: »
    Thanks - I won't be using the return part until around 8pm so should be ok I hope!
    That's fine.

(If you want to uses buses/tubes/trains any time between 0930 and when you leave London, that would be £15.50 for a Polegate to London Zones 1-6 Super off peak day Travelcard).
  • Nikkisun
    yorkie2 wrote: »
    That's fine.

(If you want to uses buses/tubes/trains any time between 0930 and when you leave London, that would be £15.50 for a Polegate to London Zones 1-6 Super off peak day Travelcard).

Thanks - have booked the return ticket.
    xxx Nikki xxx
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This looks to be one of those cases where fares are different in each direction. The super off-peak is not available if buying the ticket in the other direction. Absolutely stupid system.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure