Made an address error in credit application - got rejected - what do I do?

I made a stupid mistake. I got two of my previous addresses mixed up and put the wrong flat number on my previous address and got rejected for credit. I was applying to get the Barclays loan at the Apple store for the iPhone X.

I shouldn’t have any other reason to be rejected other than the wrong flat number.

What should I do?

Should I apply again?
Contact barclay’s?
Contact Experian?

In an ideal world I’d like to get that application removed but of course it won’t be possible - so what is the next best thing?

And how long will this affect my score?

Such a stupid mistake - was flustered and in busy store when it happened.

Thanks!

Comments

• The search will last on your credit file for 12 months. This will not be removed as this is correct information to advise you made a search on ‘xx’ date for ‘xx’ using the addresses you provided. This is a correct fact so you will have to accept that will remain on your credit file. I wouldn’t contact Barclays/Experian relating to the search removal as it’s your fault essentially.

You may have been declined for multiple reasons. Company policy - based on the information you provided and if there is any detail that matches something they are specifically cautious about. Bad debt, late payments, data inconsistencies (possible fraud), CCJ’s, bad personal hygiene (maybe not haha). So either try again in a few months (using the correct information) or accept the decline. I would be cautious making multiple applications within a short period of time as this could be detrimental to you showing your making multiple attempts to take out credit.

You could try another application now if your looking to take out the phone quickly but as I don’t know if you have taken out credit elsewhere and how many applications for credit you have recently I can’t assess if you will be affected by making one more application now. You will have to make that decision yourself but if you do make an application then only make one more now and ensure you use the correct details.

If your not rushed for time then the best option (this is my recommendation) is to contact Barclays under the premise they re-review their decision and admit the details you gave were incorrect and explain you got it wrong. Hopefully they will be able to get someone to manually review the application, taking into consideration the correct information provided. Hopefully there are no underlying issues and they can overturn the decision but if there underlying issues they may stick to the initial declined decision. Don’t bother asking why they declined you as no company will disclose their credit scoring policies and they will advise you to get a copy of your credit file and contact credit reference agencies to understand your credit file better.

Hope this helps
  • Wow thank you for your advice. I’ll definitely take your recommendation and speak with Barclay’s!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Looking on the bright side you dodged a bullet and didn't end up buying an overpriced rectangle just to use it in exactly the same way you used the previous one. £1000 well saved.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 December 2017 at 12:48AM
    Just buy a phone outright, plenty of phones available, its not neccessary to buy the iPhone X.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    A very easy mistake to make. It could be that nothing is registered against you at all for this. I seem to recall a similar thread, which suggested this to be the case. There could just be a meaningless record on the credit bureau databases that belongs to no one.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If OP has given name/dob, current address (there's the link created) and given previous addresses incorrectly, then it could show these as a linked address on credit file(s) now. As they were searched together with OPs core details (name/dob/current address).
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Holeytonal wrote: »
    I made a stupid mistake. I got two of my previous addresses mixed up and put the wrong flat number on my previous address and got rejected for credit. I was applying to get the Barclays loan at the Apple store for the iPhone X.

I shouldn’t have any other reason to be rejected other than the wrong flat number.

What should I do?

Should I apply again?
    Contact barclay’s?
    Contact Experian?

In an ideal world I’d like to get that application removed but of course it won’t be possible - so what is the next best thing?

And how long will this affect my score?

Such a stupid mistake - was flustered and in busy store when it happened.

Thanks!

Personally I would place all credit applications on hold and see what comes up on my credit history. If fraud comes up then there is a chance of explaining it and getting the fraud removed. CIFAS is pretty easy as it appears on your credit history. But National Hunter is not so easy because it compares your previous credit applications and your mistake over your address may already be recorded and flagged as fraud.
    http://www.nhunter.co.uk
  • I had a similar problem with 02. I have two searches now on my credit file as the first was declined. I live in a Ground Floor Flat. My bank account and credit cards have "Ground Floor Flat" as the first line of my address, but all the credit agencies have my house number and street as the first line. When I reapplied just using the house number and street it was accepted.
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    I made a mistake on an application I put the wrong month of birth on a credit card application. Nothing came of it. Mistakes happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure