Cheap airport lounge access

Comments

• wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    newuser86 wrote: »
    I would be amazed if any airline gave free vouchers for lounges. Most arent run by the airlines and the others are for business class or elite members so can't imagine they would want anyone in there.
    As said before get either an Amex gold, or even better the Amex platinum. The priority pass is excellent and have used mine at least 12 times in the last two months,

Maple Leaf Lounges are Air Canada properties. So, they are probably as bad as the airline when it comes to service.
  • We tried to book an airport lounge at Manchester airport for 9 of us travelling to New York in September 2017 back in Jan/Feb and was told that they had no availability- I find this pretty hard to believe given the length of notice of booking! We thought it would be a lovely start to our 40th birthday celebrations, however after numerous emails and phone calls we were massively let down -gutted doesn't even cover it obviously our money isn't "good enough" you would think that businesses in this current climate wouldn't turn down the best part of £200 for a maximum stay of approx 2hrs (duty free shopping and security would take most of the time up before we even got to the lounge) They even stipulate that if you are all on the same flight booking you may be refused entry to the lounge if you all book separately. Poor show on behalf of Aspire and Eclipse Lounges at Manchester Airport - as I said totally gutted
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    AndreaR39 wrote: »
    as I said totally gutted

Maybe its time to get a reality check, if being denied access to an airport lounge has such an effect on you.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    AndreaR39 imo you are not missing much with those lounges anyway, a couple of drinks and snacks/nibbles for your £20. It is not worth ruining your holiday, why don't you spend your £20 in one of the bars where there is probably more atmosphere.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    We tried to book an airport lounge at Manchester airport for 9 of us travelling to New York in September 2017 back in Jan/Feb and was told that they had no availability- I find this pretty hard to believe given the length of notice of booking!
    The airport is due to enter a £1bn rebuilding investment programme. It's not impossible that the lounge(s) you want is closed for that sort of reason.
    We thought it would be a lovely start to our 40th birthday celebrations
    I quite like an airport lounge. But most provide fairly basic facilities that offer unexceptional value for money, very limited food options and, when they're busy, lose any feeling of exclusivity.
    however after numerous emails and phone calls we were massively let down -gutted doesn't even cover it obviously our money isn't "good enough" you would think that businesses in this current climate wouldn't turn down the best part of £200 for a maximum stay of approx 2hrs
    Manchester Airport is a highly profitable operation "in this climate". I'd be confident that the lounges simply aren't available for booking at this point in time, rather than being sold out.
    Poor show on behalf of Aspire and Eclipse Lounges at Manchester Airport - as I said totally gutted
    I used the Escape lounge in T3 last week. It was heaving and average. Hot food was limited to a steak and kidney pie. The Aspire Lounge in T1 is a tad classier. I note that these two terminals have lounge availability for a random date I chose in September. T2 doesn't. I assume you're flying United Airlines.

My suggestions would be try booking again nearer the time - if it is building work it may be rescheduled. Try booking a lounge in the USA for the return leg. Or screw lounges, they're not all that marvellous anyway, and find a large corner of a bar and sink a few celebratory ones.

It's not worth being gutted for. Really.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We tried to book an airport lounge at Manchester airport for 9 of us travelling to New York in September 2017

As has been said I would not be totally gutted as these lounges are hardly Oasis of tranquility, nor possibly worth the money.

Headforpoints has a lounge review which may cover the ones in Manchester you were looking at.

Have a read and decide if that's what you want to pay for.

Which Airline are you flying with?
  • Rickster1978
    Rickster1978 Posts: 49 Forumite
    I didn't see the Caxton FX lounge offer in the article.

If you have a Caxton FX travel card you can get up to 40% off lounges. It's certainly worth a look as it's a decent offer and may be worth mentioning in the article.
  • We get Priority Pass cards as part of our NatWest Black bank account. We pay £28 pm for the account and the benefits, including free access to lounges worldwide.

You would think that membership of a scheme to gain lounge access would give you "priority access" as the name of the scheme suggests.

We have found that not to be the case.

Often we have been refused access (even though we have paid). At Aspire Gatwick North we arrived early at the lounge, which was almost empty, but were told we were 25 mins too early. At Cancun for our return we were refused access unless we paid again at the door !

Complained to Priority Pass, phoned by an agent who hadn't even read the written complaint in full. Complained again in writing and got no reply. So, don't expect customer service from Priority Pass either.

Advice - don't bother trying to get free passes or buying in to an access scheme. Just pay at the door.
  • Has anyone used Glasgow airport lounge, is it true that you are limited to 3 drinks each
  • Teeyoreink wrote: »
    Has anyone used Glasgow airport lounge, is it true that you are limited to 3 drinks each
    I was there a few weeks ago and there was no mention of limited drinks. The lounge has changed to a bar service so you have to wait sometimes depending how busy it is.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback