anyone got 1st central car insurance?

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Tom1stcentral was on MSE again today at 12.10pm, his silence is deafening.

Him not communicating on MSE now the complaints are rolling in would not inspire confidence in me. Come on Tom how about answering some of the posters on here (And answering your phones).

Are you going to prove me right about Insurers that are registered in Gibralter?
  • My car was stolen 3 weeks ago so I bought another car and wanted to transfer my insurance to the new car. The 1st Central said I had to start a new insurance as I lost all my 11 months premium (paid in advance)because my car is stolen.

When I questioned this unfair policy they said this is stated in the policy wording. Can anyone tell me whether the following policy wording is clear enough for them to put my around £400 paid premium in their pocket?
    Wording: 9.7 Total Loss
    If your car is damaged beyond economical repair it will become the insurers property. All cover under policy will cease as soon as the car is declared a total loss. Any premium owing to the insurer will be deduced from the settlement amount paid to you.

I had to pay new insurance for my new car because I had to drive it but I believe I should be able to transfer my insurance to the new car. Can you advice what to do to claim my premium - paid until Sept 2010 -for the stolen car back?

Thanks

Nazife
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    That clause (that if the car is written off, then the policy ends) is seen in policies from other companies.

You agreed to it when taking out the policy and you cannot now get any refund on it.
  • Quentin wrote: »
    That clause (that if the car is written off, then the policy ends) is seen in policies from other companies.

You agreed to it when taking out the policy and you cannot now get any refund on it.

Hi Quentin,

I agreed that policy would stop but didn't agree that I would loose all the advanced paid premium until Sept 2010. Everyone I talked from different insurances said this is not right.
  • Quentin
    Sorry to say "everyone" you have talked to has mislead you. Your insurer is correct, and as previously posted, this condition does appear in other insurers' policies.

The condition you agreed to actually says that if any of the premium is outstanding (ie. paid by instalments), then the outstanding premium would be deducted from the total loss settlement.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As Quentin has advised, they are entitled to do this.

This is a fairly unusual as although most Insurers will either deduct the remaining instalments from the claims payment or require you to carry on paying the instalments. The majority of Insurers will allow you to use the remaining portion of the cover to insure a replacement vehicle.

Unfortunatelt the exclusion in your policy is valid and it tends to be used by the cheap and cheerful Insurers to save money
  • wacko911
    wacko911 Posts: 678
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I too have taken out insurance with this crowd after being cheapest on confused.

Reading the reviews on here and as posted earlier > http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews232123.html < I'm feeling rather stupid. I then looked up the previous two companies I had insurance with and they scored LOWER on the the review centre website, seriously take a look at some of the reviews for others, makes me feel better.

Just hope I dont have an accident in the next 12 months and all should be grand, I did have a problem during the application process and phoned them and the call got answered pretty quick and the guy was friendly and down to earth. (then again maybe thier sales line is better than the claims one!).

The lack of 3rd party cover is a real con, wouldn't even have known until I seen this thread by accident.

Just hoping they dont screw me over my no claims bonus as the previous insurer still hasnt sent the proof yet and you only get 7 days!
  • dacouch wrote: »

This is a fairly unusual as although most Insurers will either deduct the remaining instalments from the claims payment or require you to carry on paying the instalments. The majority of Insurers will allow you to use the remaining portion of the cover to insure a replacement vehicle.

Unfortunatelt the exclusion in your policy is valid and it tends to be used by the cheap and cheerful Insurers to save money

THANKS for the information. I insured my new car with them because I was in a hurry. I like to cancel and find a better insurance company. Do you know which insurance company is good and not too expensive?

Thanks
  • dacouch wrote: »

Thanks for giving me this information. What about the extras in my premium? I lost over 10 months basic premium + the extras that I paid for, i.e. hire car, legal expenses, persoanl accident plan, breakdown. Do I loose all of these as well?

Would it help if I wrote 1st Central's genearl manager to get some compensation?

Thanks
  • Quentin
    None of the extras will be refundable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business