PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tidying before completion

Just spent a few hours tidying/weeding/clearing/sorting my back and front gardens ready for completion of our sale at the end of this month...I'm wondering as I sit here running a hot bath to soothe my sore back whether I really needed to do this?

Am I being courteous by sorting the garden...? And should the house and garden always be maintained fully right up to transfer, is this a necessity or respectful...or both LOL?

To be honest I wanted to rather save my embarrassment at the garden getting so overgrown 😂

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I think most people expect it to look not too shabby. One going over 3-4 weeks before completion's probably the best most manage unless they're desperately keen gardeners.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    There's no 'rule' as such, but its definitely a nice thing to do and most people leave their houses as clean as they can before completion. Think how you'll feel if you go to your new place and the sellers have clearly thought "sod it we're selling anyway" and haven't lifted a finger for weeks?

Of course, the amount of effort can vary depending on how much you like the buyers! ;)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Most thoughtful people try to leave the property as the purchasers found it originally.

There's usually more of a problem with the inside of the house, which often reveals all kinds of nasties when the furniture goes, and then there's no time left to sort it properly.

You have that to come...
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post

Of course, the amount of effort can vary depending on how much you like the buyers! ;)

or how much they beat you down on price, which may be much the same thing! :rotfl:
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you were moving in, how would you want to find it?
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It was nice of you to do it, but it's certainly not a necessity. For example, you might find with the front it gets concreted over in time for parking.
  • sultanabran
    sultanabran Posts: 172 Forumite
    My buyer keeps telling me not to cut the grass as its getting ripped out anyway. But I still do it, otherwise it would be about 8 inches tall by the time he comes to move in (I can tell by the height of the grass around the For Sale post).
  • Clairabella
    Clairabella Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We kept the garden neat and cleaned the house till it was immaculate, in fact, once I'd finished, I didn't want to move! If only our vendor had been as meticulous. I exhausted myself cleaning mine then had to start over when we moved in, it was filthy.
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Ill be cleaning my house and running the mower over the lawn when i go. Id expect the owners of our new house to do the same, though i'd still go over cleaning the house again before unpacking too much.
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd suggest it depends on the difference between the state of the garden when they viewed it and the state of it now, accounting (within reason) for the fact that things, including weeds, grow, especially at this time of year.

So, if the garden was a major feature, then one would expect it to be handed over as such, whereas one couldn't really expect the same of something overgrown or neglected even when the place was on the market. However, it should be clear of rubbish etc, although as a buyer, you have little realistic recourse should the seller leave the place in a complete state and full of their rubbish...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure