PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Disappearing Threads and the like

Hi All

I wanted to post this as a new thread to ensure everyone was kept informed. A couple of very popular threads have been auto deleted by the system, and this has caused much frustration (understandably)

Having spoken to Andrea & the Forum team, it has been confirmed the team are investigating and reviewing the system (when it deletes threads like this). The team appreciate being made aware of instances like this so thank you all.

Some updates as provided by Andrea (who may comment as well)

* I am able to provide missing data or information from the missing threads, if someone can help me with keywords to find them. I have posted the most up to date weight list that I know of on the new weightloss thread.

* Sadly, myself or the Forum team aren't able to reinstate threads auto deleted in this way. The forum team have confirmed it's for legal reasons as we would be deemed as "publishing" the information, and would be liable for the content on the threads. I'm unable to comment on or discuss the teams stance on this. I first checked they were happy with the way I have explained this :)

* It may be a good idea for you between you to monitor large threads and consider starting a new one if a thread is getting quite large. This would ensure we are retaining as much information as possible, as we can link to the old ones. If anyone needs help with hyper links this old thread from Squeaky :( explains it fantastically

I really appreciate everyones understanding on this.

I'll leave this open for a short while and will close later on.

Zip :A
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
Norn Iron club member #380

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I've created a new Weightloss thread here

• It would be useful to know what caused these threads to be auto-deleted - in order to be able to take appropriate precautions to prevent this happening to any others.

I'm wondering whether it's some other factor besides the length of the thread that caused this - as there are some extremely long threads scattered over the board as a whole and it hasn't happened to them.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    That's something the team could discuss in more detail if appropriate. I just know how devastated folk are when data is lost, so the suggestion was simply precautionary :)

Zip

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    many thanks
    onwards and upwards
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks zippychick, to be on the safe side I'll start a new "Cooking for one" thread
  • caronc wrote: »
    Thanks zippychick, to be on the safe side I'll start a new "Cooking for one" thread

I was wondering whether we should do so caronc (with appropriate link to current thread of course:)) just in case.
  • Right - I've just nipped off to the longest-running thread on the whole Forum I can think of at the moment.

It's the "The 'have a look at this' thread II" on the housebuying sub-forum.

That thread has been going since 5 August 2011. Currently has 1094 pages. Currently has 21,869 posts.

I doubt either of the vanished threads are anything like as long-standing or with as many posts.

Hence there must be something more going on here than just a (reasonably long) thread being "lost by accident" I feel...:cool:
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I was wondering whether we should do so caronc (with appropriate link to current thread of course:)) just in case.
    It's done new thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849 :)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 July 2017 at 9:16PM
    I still don't understand...

This thread: 5 O/S Pleasures in your Day Today, Part Two

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2039611

was started in 2009 and has over 38,000 posts yet is still up and running?

Sorry Zippy :A, I know you are doing your best to help and explain, and I appreciate that, but something doesn't quite add up and it is in my nature to question things I don't understand.

Apologies for being a pita, I know you are just the messenger :) x
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    karcher wrote: »
    Sorry Zippy :A, I know you are doing your best to help and explain, and I appreciate that, but something doesn't quite add up and it is in my nature to question things I don't understand.

Apologies for being a pita, I know you are just the messenger :) x
    Honestly? Having a little knowledge of algorithms, I think there is a legitimate IT answer, it's just that those with the MSE pre-fix don't understand what it is yet!

Touch my bookworm thread, feel my wrath. As I say to our 2 year old when she rips up books for fun, they are to be respected and enjoyed. We are not The Taliban :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure