Diary of a Poor Person aged 46 1/2

Comments

• mrscmr
    mrscmr Posts: 2,903
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    well a good day. worked all day. will do my invoice tonight maybe it will be about 300 pounds? dunno. did shopping in morrisons with oh to show him what i was buying and explaining how i was shopping to save money etc etc.
    he agreed and our shopping came to £65 instead of about £130 so that has to be good.
    just had a really tricky conversation with lloyds insurance dept as im trying to cancel 2 ppis on 2 loans and a reclaim. bascially trying to get me to refinance loans but something not quite right so i have left with ppi on and will nip over to the ppi threads and get advice from there.

hope all have had a good day and have a great evening! i think the apprentice is on tonight?
    mrscmr
    Highest Debt £581,000 Nov 08 and now owe nothing! yes really! I have learnt my lesson the hard way!
    :heart2:Ebay Challenge 2011 - Still supporting from afar!
    Long haulers supporters DFW #223
  • squink
    squink Posts: 72 Forumite
    Morning!
    :)
    How did you get on yesterday?
    If you screwed up, remember this: they can't shoot you for it (that's one my husband uses to me and it helps to get things into perspective :) ).

Think of poor Natasha Richardson and her loving family - how fragile everything is, we all assume subconsciously things'll go on for ever and then puff! someone gets blown out. You're alive and well (-ish, I'm guessing), have a family around you (I'm guessing that's a positive - sh**te I know if it's not) and you're not 85+, crippled with arthritis and getting bullied and patronised by care staff who you'd've crucified in your youth, oh and have had your home taken away to pay for your "care costs" (that solves that one!) and have your clothes/personal items constantly lifted, after a life time being independent and comfortably off (am ranting now, this is typical scenario (better end) for many elderly, I have a friend of 97 experiencing this, and he's got all his marbles so knows everything that's going on, but has so little power - the indignity of it - so chin up, could be worse....:shocked: - another scenario: could be a woman in Afghanistan....think I'd better shut up).

Now I'm telling you to count your blessings - bad move, sorry!!! But perspective is a huge factor - how we see things - there's not just one angle on a thing, but you can't always spot the other ones on your own.

Perhaps you need a night off, get totally plastered (or whatever your vice) and crack on afresh tomorrow. We all need a break from our stresses, and if you're getting so bogged down and overloaded that you can't function, time for time out (have a Boost - remember that advert?!!)

I'm a firm believer too in the value of counselling (or an equivalent "listening" therapy - loads of kinds) someone to sound off to who can help you to keep perspective (and it's not just for other people's emotional crises, or a relationship collapse etc.; it helps for any area which is so stressful it's taking over your life and functioning ability - after all you have to earn that crust, can't do that if you're a quivering wreck or run into the back of a lorry - am I lifting your spirits?!!! Good, thought I was ;) )
    Another good one is meditation classes - there are ones in most areas, look on the net or ads at surgeries etc. - usually cheap.
    That teaches you methods for managing your own stress (is really effective - been proved to lower blood pressure and help heart conditions etc etc). By calming your brain, it also helps things to "fall into place" without you apparently doing much (your mind does the work for you, if that makes sense). And if you go to a Buddhist-run one, they're usually fun - the only religion with a sense of humour as part of it - what's the point of being good if you don't enjoy it :grin:

It's very hard to see what you look like without a mirror, so why should our thoughts and behaviours be any different. And you can get counselling free on the NHS (just lay it on thick to the doc) - you may be lucky and get a good one without waiting months.
    Maximise what's out there, especially if it's for free :) - s*d what you think other people think....

Or just spend the day somewhere in the country (I love the beach to clear my head) and have a wild evening to finish off (let me know the details...)

CHILL OUT, THAT'S AN ORDER

Feeling good releases positive chemicals in the brain; their presence will then help you function better - it's not just self indulgence.
    Saw a programme on "laugh therapy" once - really popular in the US. They get together in a group and have a massive giggle - it's actually quite addictive - wonder if there's a group near you:rotfl: - let me know, if you live north of the border I'll join you :)

That's enough twaddle from me - as usual, having a quick "look" has turned into a half an hour + - supposed to be earning some money too!!
    (Tell me if I go on too much - hope something in there is of some use)

Ta ra! XXX
  • mrscmr
    Forumite
    wow squink what a terrific and enormous message.... i feel honoured you took so much time and put so much thought into it. But i can report ... all good here.

worked yesterday invoiced about £300, have more work [new] work to do today/weekend. had a call from an agency asking me to go see them on tuesday for some part time work [wow wow cos agencies never call any one any more].

yes i am very lucky and count my blessings. sold another thing on ebay last night for 19 pounds. have 2 more on to sell with one item being watched. have pestered friend to get our bottoms moving and go to boot sale. i think get mothers day out of way and sunday after ..... well we will see. i just want to go to a small one first as i am bit worried about getting swamped and over run.
    councelling... i see your point and i did have a spell of councelling when i was rather depressed about 2 years ago. and all good. i have learned something else though that affects my mood.... food... too many carbs make me tired/lazy/slow/sleeping/grumpy old trout! so thats an interesting discovery.

its sunny its friday its time to go outside into the garden. i have some spring flowers peeping at me so all is good indeed.
    thanks again
    hugs to you all and have a great day.
    mrscmr
    Highest Debt £581,000 Nov 08 and now owe nothing! yes really! I have learnt my lesson the hard way!
  • squink
    squink Posts: 72 Forumite
    thought I might be barking up the wrong tree (once I start find hard to stop - not that anyone'd notice of course....) - but glad I was eg. you weren't imploding with the weight of it all (now there's a visual image....)
    What do you freelance in? (being nosy)
    Carboots: suss out the most popular (eg. best site/brings in the punters) - look on "giantcarboots.com" - gives great tips - I love 'em, give you a fun day out - keep close eye on weather forecast too for the day you pick, although have earned when chucking it down too! Though some are under cover, so solves that one. And just price by feel (don't bother doing labels the night before, waste of time) - if people are walking off, drop your price - you'll get more selling dirt cheap than not at all.
    I'm in a "can't afford to get a proper job" trap as would bring down income (husband on pension credit (pays % mortgage/council tax)/disability allowance) like a pack of cards - unless I get a high earner (no chance round here/my cv) so am looking into own business ideas - hence curious as to how others earn their crust - amazing how some do fantastically on something really simple, yet others slog endlessly for crumbs.
    Happy mother's day! (no chance they'll remember my end - bums, no chocolates....)
    Have you ever heard of the Heyes (forget spelling) diet - use it in army fitness training too - never mix carbs and protein (they conflict in digestion, so slow you down) so separate meals of each - I found that made a big difference (books in health shops etc.)
    Now am going....bye bye xx
  • mrscmr
    Forumite
    morning squink
    how was your mothers day? i did well considering.:-) cold today and windy.
    work is ok - im trying to get things done and have made a list. 7 things on the list right now and probably 7 still on the list by tea time!
    tbh my mind is really on what can i sell on ebay instead of work. i think that kids toys and games like ds games look like they sell well. im really thinking about car boots sales more and more. will take ds1 and ds1 friend and mum i think too. will need to suss one out first. do yo uthink take loads and loads of stuff or just a bit then go home when its all sold [i hope]?
    anyway - hope you all having a great monday...
    mrs cmrxx
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,896
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi Mrscmr,

I did my first car boot in September and made £84 (I couldn't believe it). People bought all my old junk - I even sold two manky (and I mean manky) sleeping bags for £2 to a woman for her dogs!

Did my second one yesterday and made £80. also got rid of some big bulky items. I don't really have anything left to car boot now.

I sold lots of electrical items at both e.g. old stereo, electric soup kettle, magnifying craft light etc.

I would suggest you pack your car up as much as you can with stuff if you do a car boot and just see. go home when you've had enough or when you see everyone else packing up or when you've sold up!!

good luck.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • mrscmr
    Forumite
    mrs porridge
    thanks for that.. i have heaps of kids videos, cds/ old phone chargers, books, kids clothes. its difficult to assess what people would be willing to pay. do you price up your stuff before you go? how long on average does it take you to setup? should i use a table or or better on a blanket or sheet? how many people do you have help you on the stall. sorry soo many questions. actually im really starting to like ebay and have sold quite well and have lots to put up there.
    amazingly we are normally up to our o/d limit at this point in the month but ... we are only £1200 o/d which is great! so definitely something is going in the right direction.
    all the best
    mrscmr
  • Hi,
    Take all your old junk. One man's junk is anothers treasure and all that;)
    People don't usually pay much for stuff at the booties so don't bother trying to flog valuable stuff it's the wrong audience.
    Videos etc seem to go well. aim for almost give away prices depending on what you have and be prepared to be bartered down ( the bartering is part of fun anyway:D )
    Use a table it keeps your stuf off the floor (Old paste table or similar) As i say any old junk most of it will make you some pennies,Old Tools,Toys,Clothes,Electronics,Books,Shoes,Pots,Pans, etc etc the list is endless. You will have to pay for your pitch usually between £5 and £10 and get there early and be prepared for all the dealers descending on your car to see what you have don't get upset if you sell to them and then see them bob it on their store for double what they gave you:D
    Most important have fun and try not to end up spending your takings buying other peoples junk;)
  • mrscmr
    Forumite
    thanks wonga.

i think im going to visit a car boot to check it out. thanks for your advice thats really useful!
    mrscmr
    oh my ebay items are going really well, infact i might ebay the whole house!:j
  • mrscmr
    Forumite
    Got some new work in today so thats good. must remember not to procrastinate... now that's something im really good at!!
    ebay has become my life and my dining room is covered in little sections of goods, now i know where all our hard earned money went.... on things... things we never needed and things we greedily wanted. well what a waste of time,effort and money. but i have seen the light and im dealing well.
    hopefully by the end of April to be a little better of with ebay and work progressing at a steady pace.
    how is everyone else doing?
    mrs cmr [in a positive mood for a grey thursday afternoon]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport