Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 15th Nov 17, 1:47 AM
    • 142Posts
    • 53Thanks
    TyreLever
    Why is prejudice against lazy people still acceptable?
    • 15th Nov 17, 1:47 AM
    Why is prejudice against lazy people still acceptable? 15th Nov 17 at 1:47 AM
    Some people are religious, or vegetarian. Apparantly its not acceptable to be prejudiced against them, but it is OK to be against laziness. If someone really hates work then who are we to judge? Leave em on the dole I say, keeps em out of they way anyway. Some people really don't have the mindset for work life and could be considered a form of mental health issue.

Laziness is only bad when people are forced to work and then end up not doing a good job because as I mentioned, they lack the mindset to make a good worker. I think the dole is overly harsh in handing out sanctions. Its not like dole is giving people a great living anyway.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
Page 2
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 16th Nov 17, 9:55 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 4,980 Thanks
    Malthusian
    I remember reading an article at university which pointed out that the normal distribution of IQ scores is skewed so that the median score is significantly less than 100!
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    The median IQ score should be 100 by definition. That's how the scale is calibrated. Are you sure it wasn't the mean that was below 100?

Einstein (who should know a thing or two about intelligence) said that intelligence is finite but stupidity is infinite; if the extremes of stupidity are greater than the extremes of intelligence, this would mean the mean intelligence is very likely to be below the median. If you have a 4 foot dwarf, a 5"9 Mr Average and a 6"6 giant, the dwarf pulls the mean height of the group (5 foot 5) below the median (5 foot 9).

Which is why smug people who bang on about the Dunning-Kruger effect and scoff at opinion polls showing that the majority of people believe themselves to be smarter than average are revealing their own stupidity. The majority of people are perfectly correct to believe that they are smarter than average, given that the most common (and useful) definition of "average" is the mean.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 16th Nov 17, 10:58 AM
    • 17,024 Posts
    • 27,700 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    I have an above average (mean) number of legs. If you include all the people with 1 or 0 legs, in the numbers, the average must be under 2.

Most people have more than the mean-average number of legs. Most people have the same number of legs as the mode (well, that's tautological I guess)

I'm lazy. It got me into programming. I'd rather put in the 'hard effort' first, to make sure my life is easier, and lazier, afterwards. One of the first things I wrote as a teenager was a program that would answer quadratic equations for me, and write out the working out.

Work smarter, not harder. Efficiency is found in laziness.
    Last edited by ringo_24601; 16-11-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 16th Nov 17, 11:55 AM
    • 222 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    Work smarter, not harder. Efficiency is found in laziness.
    Originally posted by ringo_24601
    I agree with everything you say, except for the fact that you state that what you do is out of "laziness".

Laziness to me is more about doing things like:

- Shirking on work and leaving it for colleagues to do
    - Not doing the work at all
    - Staying on the dole and getting paid to do nothing

I wouldn't class what you do as being lazy, even if it *looks like* laziness from a third party perspective.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 17th Nov 17, 1:30 PM
    • 17,024 Posts
    • 27,700 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    I'd reply properly.. but I can't be bothered

I do think some people are inherently lazy (I have one lazy son, one really motivated son) but it's a characteristic that can be worked on and improved.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 17th Nov 17, 1:42 PM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 2,178 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    I'm sure there was a case a few years ago when a would-be employer was told by the Job Centre that they couldn't advertise for 'a hard working person' because it discriminated against those who weren't able to 'work hard' for any reason.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,386Posts Today

6,577Users online

Martin's Twitter