Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,235 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Given that you're not that close to your sister, should the situation warrant you losing money because of BIL?

It wasn't so long ago she was being ar$y about your mum's house and you living there.

You have your own life to lead.

Just saying.

Take care xx
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Yeah you aren't the only to point this out, RL friends have said much the same. But she is having such an awful time. I just feel so bad for her.

But I can't really keep it up.

Funny how you forget stuff in a crisis tho. My best mate pointed out various things that gave me pause.

Downstairs is a mess - the sofas haven't got any smaller and the dinning table which is older than me is too heavy to move. But I shall tackle that problem next weekend. At least the shed is cleared, labelled and organised. 1 down 2 more to go...

I was trying to think what I have been doing for the last forever. And it is n't really saving....Each year there has been something going on (as is normal obviously!!)

2011 - debt free (went on holiday)
    2012 - got the dogs :)
    2013 - had an expensive 6 month relationship.
    2014 - happy at work so spent money
    2015 - started new job, got the rabbits (massive expense, more than the dogs! )
    2016 - saved pretty ok, lots of money on house tho- bathroom, kitchen, garden (much paid back mind)
    2017 - garden (pond! and rabbit enclosure) car insurance was massive too. also paying for the dentist.

I just can't get past the reliance on the credit card and having only a little savings (better than nothing but not enough.)

interesting. Would write more but my arm is killing me. beginning to think I have RSI!
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • PKaurK
    PKaurK Posts: 52 Forumite
    I've just read through your thread, I can't imagine what you're going through. Rally hope your BIL and mum get better. Lots of love x
  • Well My sister went to the opticians yesterday and they referred her straight to the hospital and she is having eye surgery to fix a detached retina. i.e SAVE HER EYESIGHT.

Just unbelievable.

Mental amounts of stress all around. I have the flu and so cannot go near my sister as BIL has 0 immune system due to the leukaemia so my Mum has gone to the hospital with her to bring her home etc. I feel useless but am so ill. Can barely eat.

Just read the recovery leaflet. that was depressing.

I think I shall try and eat something.

XXX
  • Emzilla
    Emzilla Posts: 3,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry you're having such a rubbish time Buffy. Sending you lots of hugs. :grouphug:

I know you feel bad that you can't help anyone out at the moment, but you need to think of yourself too. You won't be able to help anyone if you don't get better. Please try and get some rest.

Emz xx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,130 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Hope all went well for your sister Buffster xxx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,130 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Hi Emz.
    Hope all well with you? xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,235 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    OMG Buffy, your family don't do things by halves do they? I know someone who found out they had a detached retina during a routine eye test. They were OK in the end. Hope your sister is ok xx

You can't be around BIL if you're ill. Has he had a bone marrow/stem cell transplant?

Hope you feel better soon xx
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • UGh I hate my nose. Cold thing. hate it.

Sister is okish, clearly desperate to see her partner regards of the risk to her eyesight and the stress it will cause Mum. I think she is nuts but I have never been that in love with someone I would risk my eyeballs! She is a grown woman and they are each other's world so I suppose he is the only thing that makes her feel safe really.

Today is the last day I can have off work before I have to go back so am going to have a nap and hope for the best.

have a good day XXXX

Ps. any one successfully given up Amazon?? I am hopeless.
  • Southern-Girl
    Southern-Girl Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 9 November 2017 at 4:58PM
    BIL has 0 immune system due to the leukaemia
    XXX

This is really sad Buffy - I thought he'd had a stroke and was in a rehabilitation ward, and on the mend, albeit slowly. I didn't realise he has leukaemia.

This must be very hard for you all
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family