Equifax letter arrived today.

Options
My husband received a letter from Equifax today, stating some of his personal details were hacked back in May. Having checked the company and letter were legitimate (via this website) I proceeded to ring the 0800 number on the letter. The call eventually was transferred to a lady who I could hardly hear. The line was really bad. I gave her the unique reference number on the letter and she then asked me to confirm the postcode. I felt reluctant to part with any personal details until I was sure I was speaking to the right people. I asked her to confirm the name against that personal number and I would confirm the post code. She said she couldn't do this. I explained I was extremely nervous to part with any personal information given the circumstances. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she said she'd get someone to call me back but that may not be for 48 hours. I gave them my mobile number. Am I being unreasonable?

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does the number match the 1 on the equifax website ?

As its your husbands details he should be phoning up to check it out unless he can't do that.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ^^ This - your husband should call Equifax to verify.
    But NOT from the number on the letter - get the number from their website.

I did have a similar notice from Experian last year .. But it's just nonsense really.
    Apparently they had found my email address and a corresponding password on some database or other.
    I don't know what or where because they wouldn't tell me (!!) they just advised me to change my password.

Thing is, I know for a fact that this is total b0llox because the email address they were talking about was hosted on one of my own exchange servers .
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the phone number OP?
  • Lhcfan
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. :) The phone number on the letter is 0800 5871584 which I believe is the correct number for them. My husband was with me so I could pass the phone to him if they wanted to speak to him directly. (He hates talking on the phone so I do the preliminary stuff until they ask to speak to him). The lady didn't ask to speak to him. She asked me to confirm the post code. It'll be interesting to see how others will get on when calling this number.
  • cj1974cr
    Options
    This isn’t a SCAM, Equifax has suffered a massive data breach that has impacted people in the US; Canada and UK.

If you are in any doubt ; google Equifax Data Breach and check out the new item on the BBC website,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41286638 ; and it was also a news item on this website; a little confused why the othe commentary doesn’t refer to this story

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/protect/2017/09/massive-equifax-data-breach---what-you-need-to-know
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure