Changing bank atfer 40 years where to go?

DH and I have both been with RBS for over 40 years. Our local branches are all closing so it looks like it may be time to move.

The nearest town gives us the option of the TSB or Bank of Scotland and obviously if we move into the city we would have a better choice but the inconvenience of a longer drive/parking etc.

We really don't know where to start are just looking for a current account so any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Comments

• gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,614
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A couple of questions:

1. Do you need branch access? If you think you do - why?
    2. Are you comfortable with doing your banking online, via mobile or by phone?
    3. Do you have a post office and/or free ATMs locally?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,128
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    lrlrip wrote: »
    DH and I have both been with RBS for over 40 years. Our local branches are all closing so it looks like it may be time to move.

The nearest town gives us the option of the TSB or Bank of Scotland and obviously if we move into the city we would have a better choice but the inconvenience of a longer drive/parking etc.

We really don't know where to start are just looking for a current account so any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.

You could start here:cool:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts
  • paparossco
    paparossco Posts: 293
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I was with the Clydesdale since 1975 and swapped this year with no regrets. 'Loyalty' is a one way street, despite the length of time banking with them I never even got an enquiry as to why I was leaving.
    The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.
    Wayne Dyer
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite

I moved from RBS to the Bank of Scotland, so far no regrets. Their account pays interest and had an every day offers cashback scheme. In the short term TSB may be better as they pay 1% more interest and you can earn money - but I had that when I opened the TSB account, it expired after 18 months. So in the long run the Bank of Scotland is better for me, what I'm earning in cashback is more than the interest I'd earn at TSB.

Bank of Scotland seem to have more branches than RBS or TSB, if that's a factor for you - though with online/mobile banking it may not be essential for you?
  • lrlrip
    lrlrip Posts: 586
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    A couple of questions:

1. Do you need branch access? If you think you do - why?
    2. Are you comfortable with doing your banking online, via mobile or by phone?
    3. Do you have a post office and/or free ATMs locally?

Yes we do need branch access. DH is a self employed taxi driver so mainly paid in cash.

I have just recently started online banking.

We do have a local Post Office but for how long who knows!!
  • lrlrip
    lrlrip Posts: 586
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Don80 wrote: »
    I moved from RBS to the Bank of Scotland, so far no regrets. Their account pays interest and had an every day offers cashback scheme. In the short term TSB may be better as they pay 1% more interest and you can earn money - but I had that when I opened the TSB account, it expired after 18 months. So in the long run the Bank of Scotland is better for me, what I'm earning in cashback is more than the interest I'd earn at TSB.

Bank of Scotland seem to have more branches than RBS or TSB, if that's a factor for you - though with online/mobile banking it may not be essential for you?

Thank you. I think the Bank of Scotland may be our best option.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Yes we do need branch access. DH is a self employed taxi driver so mainly paid in cash.

I have just recently started online banking.

We do have a local Post Office but for how long who knows!!
    Cash can be paid in at the Post Office to accounts with RBS and TSB (using personalised deposit slips), but not to those with BoS.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-banking-services

There's no need to limit yourselves to one bank - keep your present account(s) for now and open new ones in town, see how it goes using them and the post office.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Don80
    Forumite

If you are doing that, use the current account switch service - it was so unbelievably easy! The Bank of Scotland would move all your payments over from RBS for you, and close the RBS account for you. You don't need to contact RBS at all, and the Bank of Scotland do it all for you in a week. Any salary/money sent to the RBS account gets redirected automatically, and any payments (direct debits/standing orders) from RBS are moved to the Bank of Scotland for you. :)

Here's what you do:
    Open your Bank of Scotland account online (if you are doing the Classic Account make sure you add the Vantage option). The form was very easy.
    https://www.bankofscotland.co.uk/bankaccounts/classic/

After you open the Bank of Scotland account, you will be asked if you want to switch an account at another bank to them, so say yes. You then need to fill in your RBS sort code and account number. You will be asked if you have a debit card with RBS, if you do, say yes and fill in your RBS card details.

The switch date by default is 7 days but you can choose a later date if you need to.

Everything moved simply, all I had from RBS was a letter saying "sorry you are leaving us", and another letter confirming the date that the account would be closed.

Everything has appeared on my new Bank of Scotland account as expected, and they sent me a letter confirming the direct debits and standing orders they had set up on my new account. It was all very easy, so I would highly recommend using that service.
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,069
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Forumite

Make sure that you are aware of the branches they're about to close before you make up your mind:

https://www.bankofscotland.co.uk/contactus/branch-closures/

:eek:
  • Don80
    Forumite
    IanManc wrote: »
    Make sure that you are aware of the branches they're about to close before you make up your mind:

https://www.bankofscotland.co.uk/contactus/branch-closures/

:eek:

Good point. I think all the main banks are closing branches. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Bank of Scotland still have more branches than other banks in Scotland. Certainly where I am you see more of them than RBS.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure