PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Personal searches

Has anyone ever done these instead of the normal searches? And would you recommend then, not recommend them?

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes I have.

I'd recommend them in the right circumstances, but not in the wrong circumstances.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd recommend against having them done at the airport.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 June 2017 at 2:25PM
    Depends if I'm buying or letting out-

When buying; I adopt the "why keep a dog and bask yesself" principle and I let the solicitor commission the local authority search, flood/drainage/water search, and, if I need one, the Environmental one (sometimes I've skipped the Environmental search if buying cash and if know the area as it seems to be lenders who like these).

And I rarely ask for a "Plansearch Plus" check as I don't care about Oftsted ratings and can work the Council website myself. And I'm so hacked off by the old Chancel Check scam that I now tell 'em not to bother as I am confident that "God Will Verily Protect me" even though I am a blasphemer.

But prior to any purchase offer I do my own informal searches;

- I visit the area at different times of the week or day to ensure its not like "Assault on Precinct 13" nor over-run by yummies,
    - if leasehold, I quiz the agent as far as they have the info on service-charges and maintenence and who the freeholder is so that...
    - I can google 'em or even ring em to determine if they are carp exploiters or in case they have had action taken against them by unhappy leaseholders or RTM-ers..

And when letting my 2 little BTLs I sometimes use an EA to reference -check prospects, but I have taken up bank or employer references myself with the punter's authority (thus saving me and them a bomb).

I also look 'em (the prospective tenants) in the eye, but stop short of a strip search!

What personal searches are you thinking of performing? And does it involve latex gloves?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    I'd recommend against having them done at the airport.
    See my earlier reply. Depends how you get your kicks!
  • Lamy_2
    Lamy_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Thanks for the dubious humour...
    http://www.actlegal.co.uk/faq/buying-house-faqs/6/
    I've decided against it and am going to ask my solicitor to do the standard LA searches
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure