PAYG is a sham unfettered by Ofcom

it's really very simple. I want a PAYG sim. I want to pay for what I use. I don't want a PAYG monthly which is a contract by any other name. I currently have such a sim with TalkMobile - they are phasing it out. Instead they suggest I buy a vodaphone (pay monthly) PAYG sim. I have reported the lack of clarity on this to Ofcom who won't do anything about it because Ofcom, ofwat, ofgem, CISAS etc are really in cahoots with the industries they are supposed to regulate (they should all be disbanded at savings to the tax payer because they are useless).

Can any of your point me to a PAYG sim which I simply top up when I need to?

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    enquirer22 wrote: »
    it's really very simple. I want a PAYG sim. I want to pay for what I use. I don't want a PAYG monthly which is a contract by any other name. I currently have such a sim with TalkMobile - they are phasing it out. Instead they suggest I buy a vodaphone (pay monthly) PAYG sim. I have reported the lack of clarity on this to Ofcom who won't do anything about it because Ofcom, ofwat, ofgem, CISAS etc are really in cahoots with the industries they are supposed to regulate (they should all be disbanded at savings to the tax payer because they are useless).

Can any of your point me to a PAYG sim which I simply top up when I need to?

Almost every network offers a basic PAYG rate, you need to do a little more research.

Some are very cheap, like Three, some are more expensive like EE or Vodafone.
    ====
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 June 2017 at 1:41PM
    it's really very simple. I want a PAYG sim. I want to pay for what I use

I walked into a TESCO Mobile store, I came out with a simple PAYGO that you need

I experienced no sale pressure to get a monthly contract

'very Simple'

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ballyblack wrote: »
    I walked into a TESCO Mobile store, I came out with a simple PAYGO that you need

I experienced no sale pressure to get a contract

Simples

Really? They are asking for a non expiring no call requirement pay n' go deal. These do not exist anymore as far as I know. 3 is quite close though.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    you may have to make a chargeable call every 6 months or so.

so a £10 top up will last for years
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    1p mobile, 1p/min, 1p/text, 1p/MB. Need to top up every 120 days.
    https://www.1pmobile.com

Three, 3p/min, 2p/text, 1p/MB. No regular top up needed. Cheapish calls to 20 countries (3p/min UK to Spain). Credit lasts indefinitely provided a call is made at least every 6 months.
    http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ballyblack wrote: »
    you may have to make a chargeable call every 6 months or so.

so a £10 top up will last for years

Precisecly it is good enough! Text/Data works too. I don't think I have ever made a charageable call on 3! Just maybe ringing my work phone to work out what it has fallen behind!
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Really? They are asking for a non expiring no call requirement pay n' go deal. These do not exist anymore as far as I know. 3 is quite close though.

He's asking for something that isn't "a PAYG monthly which is a contract by any other name". He doesn't want monthly expiring add-ons, it would appear.

There's never been a PAYG that doesn't have a minimum use element (the one call/text/data use/top up per 6 months).

Tesco Lite PAYG is a flat-rate charge of 8p/min for calls and 4p a text.

http://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-support/1818-call-charges/1819-pay-as-you-go/pay-as-you-go-lite-call-charges
    ====
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Wife and I's Vodaphone payg sims have up to now not required specific top ups, or had any useage stipulations. Perhaps ten or more years use. Only used for text, or in desperation a very brief call, however.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2017 at 4:26PM
    Then either you've made a chargeable call or sent a text every 270 days or you've been very lucky. You can lose the number and the credit if you don't.
  • jozxyqk
    jozxyqk Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been on Three PAYG for the past few years. I mainly use my phone through wifi and top up with £10 maybe every 6 months.
    "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport