Gas or electric oven - which is cheaper to run?

I need to buy a new cooker and I would like a gas hob (because I'm used to it) but wondered if there is much difference between the cost of running a gas or electric oven.

Any thoughts? Thanks

(sorry if this is repeating but I'm new to the site and I did search!)

Comments

• Toiletduck
    Toiletduck Posts: 181 Forumite
    I need to buy a new cooker and I would like a gas hob (because I'm used to it) but wondered if there is much difference between the cost of running a gas or electric oven.

Any thoughts? Thanks

(sorry if this is repeating but I'm new to the site and I did search!)

As with heating gas is cheaper to run, but they are more expensive to buy than electric ovens.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I wouldn't have a gas oven if it was free to buy and free to run - horrible things.

Ok, perhaps if it was free.
  • Keldin
    Keldin Posts: 296 Forumite
    Electric. Gas may be cheaper to run but electric ovens are easier to cook in and give better results. Plus you get a grill in the oven.

Gas hobs are far superior to electric.

K
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,505 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I wouldn't have an electric oven if it was free to buy and free to run - horrible things.

No, not even if it was free and it came stuffed full of £50 notes.
  • if your going for a electric oven go for an induction hob, they are more energy efficient than an normal electric or gas oven...
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    if you want to have an automatic oven facility which can be run on a timer, I'd opt for electricity. Most ovens these days have two ovens, the main one and a smaller one which also contains the grill, so if you want to save money and only cook one item, it will be cheaper to use the smaller oven.
  • Thanks everyone! Very helpful. I had thought about the long term gas sources issue!

I'd be interested to know why people are so anti-electric. I certainly wouldn't like an electric hob but have never cooked with an electric oven. Are they awful?
  • linda.b_4
    linda.b_4 Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always had a gas hob, until I moved into a house with a halogen hob. I would never have gas again! not sure of the running costs but its so easy to keep clean. The oven is fan assisted so if cooking an item at say, 230dgs, with fan assist you would only cook at 210dgs, so saving energy.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    It depends on whether you are more concerned with the cooking aspect or the cleaning of it.

Gas is cheaper and more controllable. You will almost always see gas in a professional kitchen.

But an electrical one is easier to clean.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Funny enough, I'm about to buy a new oven too. I was flicking through a Which? magazine from last year and someone asked whether gas or electric hobs were cheaper to run. The answer was about £10 pa for gas, £30 pa for electric. Add to this that gas hobs are easier to use (mostly because they change temperature immediately which electric doesn't) and it becomes a no-brainer for the hob.

Ovens are different though. I would expect a gas oven to change temperature in a similar way to a gas hob, ie. quickly, but it's not so important with an oven is it? I couldn't find much research about oven efficiency, apart from one report which suggested a similar price difference to above, with fan-assisted ovens falling halfway in between. If a gas oven costs £50 a year to run, that would imply that a fan-assisted oven might cost £100-ish. So, it maybe worth tracking down a gas oven if it doesn't cost too much extra.

I'll post again if I find out more...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport