Is there such thing as a legitimate competition magazine?

Options
Hi all

We've received the lovely email below from a trading standards officer, that I'm wondering if anyone can help me with.
At the moment I am dealing with an elderly resident that is repeatedly falling victim to mailed scams. It seems that the lady concerned enjoys the process of receiving mail and responding. To change her behaviour I am trying to identify a legitimate competition magazine that I can sugggest to her but I have only found online magazines. The lady does not have access to the Internet. Do you know of any such magazine that is available in physical form?
Does anyone have any suggestions I can pass on?

Thanks in advance. Wendy :)
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• toniq
    toniq Posts: 29,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • toniq
    toniq Posts: 29,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It seems that the lady concerned enjoys the process of receiving mail and responding.

Not sure how a competition magazine fits the bill, if it's genuine she will get the magazine, have to send off individual entries for every competition she wants to enter but should only receive mail if she is a winner so she would have almost nothing to respond to.
  • Moneybot
    Moneybot Posts: 10,456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If she wants to correspond with someone by post wouldn't she be better set up with a pen pal? As mjm said you don't get a lot of correspondence as such entering competitions.

Also shouldn't this be on the chat board?
    Rational judgement, now, at this very moment.

Virtuous action, now, at this very moment.
    (Wisdom, Courage, Self-control, Justice)

Willing acceptance - now, at this very moment - of what you can’t change
  • JessicAhh
    JessicAhh Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 April 2014 at 4:28PM
    Options
    Take A Break, Chat and That's Life can all be purchased on subscription, and would have both stories and puzzles to enter by post to keep her occupied. Also weekly, so nice and frequent post...

ETA - I find stories like this quite sad: she's obviously incredibly lonely. I so wish the government would do more to help the elderly gain access to the internet - there would be so many people in forums, etc, that she could talk to about entering comps, if that's what she enjoys.
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    JessicAhh wrote: »
    Take A Break, Chat and That's Life can all be purchased on subscription, and would have both stories and puzzles to enter by post to keep her occupied. Also weekly, so nice and frequent post...

ETA - I find stories like this quite sad: she's obviously incredibly lonely. I so wish the government would do more to help the elderly gain access to the internet - there would be so many people in forums, etc, that she could talk to about entering comps, if that's what she enjoys.

just what I was about to say about the mags jess thanks :A:T
    & would like to add the lady wouldn't need internet access to enter the puzzles/competitions in the above magazines,
    there's an entry form in the back of the mags for postal entry & winners for them magazines are always informed of a win through the post in a LWE (Long White Envelope)
    (with the mags logo on so they know it's genuine)
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• Former_MSE_Wendy
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies - I'll forward on this thread to the trading standards officer (along with the info a few people have sent me by PM).

MSE Wendy
    *** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***
  • gemmacarolyn
    gemmacarolyn Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    toniq wrote: »

This magazine also has information in about local competitions clubs, which she might like to join.
    Best 2018 wins: £1500, £500 John Lewis voucherBest 2019 wins: 18 of the latest DVDsBest 2020 wins: £100 cash 2021 wins: 130 books 2021 wins: Jubilee silver necklace 2023: 8xfootball shirts, Spar vouchers, £200 Tesco voucher,
  • JessicAhh
    JessicAhh Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another weekly magazine to add to the list above: Pick Me Up - A pretty challenging crossword in that one, which - when I do it - takes me a few days to work out...
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    & there's Real People

http://www.realpeoplemag.co.uk/

they have lots of competitions/puzzles in with an entry form
    in the back to send off.
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure