Reduced bargains and yellow stickers shopping

Comments

• debie_2
    debie_2 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Lady_Muck wrote: »
    It depends. Can always always get cheap bread in our local Tesco Extra. Sometimes there is a bit of a scrap on for the cheap veg - sometimes lots of people after it, sometimes barely anyone.
    It depends on who is managing the store that night - sometimes you get 25% off, sometimes 90%, just depends.
    I tend to pop into whatever store I'm passing but I always go to T Extra for bread.
    I do save lots though, couldn't buy many yellow stickers last month and shopping bill went up by £80 for that month!

Totally agree with this, I have not done as well with Mr T reductions recently, but can still hit a good evening with fruit veg and fresh meat. It really is just luck, I usually go in at about 5.35 ish. It depends also on person doing the reductions and what other customers are hogging the area LOL.
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    In M&S yesterday I managed to buy an organic chicken for £1.25,2 packs of pork stuffing for 50p,a large pork pie for 50p,2 packs of steak mince for 75p each.A bag of apples for 30p. Very pleased.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    Pure luck...I might just come back with what I went for...a loaf of bread and milk.

For a fiver??? Where do you shop, Harrods?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • abailey54
    abailey54 Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's totally luck

A few months ago we filled our empty freezer for £10 (meat, ready meals, quiches, bread, cakes) but that's a rare event

I've noticed in the last couple of years an obvious increase in people looking out for ys and part of this means that reductions are being snapped up before they have the kind of reductions that I'd go for.

Last Sunday we went to morries for a couple of specific things and as we walked past the ys area, there was a HUGE queue of people there, the person at the front would not not let go of an item while the employee was trying to reprice it. A sad SOA

I think while I could get a bunch of stuff for a fiver, I would not buy stuff that hasn't been reduced substantially (I'd probably go about 33%). Sometimes I go and a measely 20p has been reduced from something that costs a fiver - surely you'd spend the 20p to have something fresher that would last a longer time? Had there not been anything reduced enough when I went with my fiver, I'd just buy the bare minimum I needed (e.g. bread, milk, apples etc) and check back another day for reductions
    Final cigarette smoked 02/01/18
    Weight loss 2017 28lbs
    Weight gain 2018 8lbs :rotfl:
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Not worth it for me. It's usually the overpriced stuff new lines that they have made a mistake on that is reduced so not a bargain at all. You really need to know what your prices are across the length and breadth of what's on offer. People usually vote with their wallets.

Sometimes I will go for high value stuff reduced by 40% at least if eating it that day or meat for the freezer. The shopping bill will be higher if shopping like that but sometimes it's nice to have the best quality stuff or convenience food though.

If I am around at 7pm the bargains are much better but here luck really does come into it. You would get more value for your fiver then. Tesco use their computers - PDA's to work out how much stock they have at three times of the day to work out how deep the reduction will be. That's why YS shopping is rarer these days.

It makes for variety in the diet if cooking a whoopsie/YS meal but again can be more expensive cooking and shopping that way due to level of quality or convenience. It's more of a bargain if the exact stuff you usually buy is on reduction.

I wouldn't expect to come home with anything and only go if I need something and was passing anyway.
  • MavisTheMaven
    MavisTheMaven Posts: 50 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2013 at 1:40PM
    I went to the Tesco Extra near me last night for the first time in a month. Absolutely tons of food and more people after it than I've seen in the past, but they were doing 75% off veg rather than the usual 90%
    No one seemed to want any of it, except me - got mangos for 25p each, 2kg of organic new potatoes for 60p (still very fresh and hard) plus broccolli and cauliflower. Everyone was scrapping over the bread but there was so much there was plenty left over after the scrum had gone.
    The chiller section was a waste of time (it often is in T's), just 10p off most things - well whoop-de-doo!
    But I have no idea why the instore bakery makes quite as many bread rolls as they do - there must've been 100 packets of tiger bread rolls for 13p a packet of 6, last night.
    I only have a freezer box so I can't really stockpile, have to use it up right away.
    I also use the green stay fresh bags from Lakeland so any yellow sticker veg lasts much longer than it would if it wasn't in the bags, never have to chuck it away. Anyway, some things get cleared before they are even ripe! I have four rock solid avocados in here that I got a couple of days ago.
    Grocery Challenge - February £100
  • HeadAboveWater
    HeadAboveWater Posts: 3,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hit and miss. Me and OH will hit both Mr T and Mr A in an evening and come home with maybe 4x bag-for-life bags full for less than £10. 70-80% of our shopping is from the yellow stickered stuff and we often laugh that we eat like royalty, plus get to try stuff out that we wouldn't otherwise buy! :D
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    I'm a traditionalist and tend to opt for 3M's own. I tried the Niceday ones but was disappointed the dog was only on the outer wrapper and not on the stickers themselves. Viking own brand - the colour was too strong, too garish and not matt enough. Stationery Box/Ryman - uncompetitive prices, it felt like I was buying printer ink.

So I am sticking with sticking Post-Its to everything.
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 March 2013 at 12:50PM
    Nada666 wrote: »
    I'm a traditionalist and tend to opt for 3M's own. I tried the Niceday ones but was disappointed the dog was only on the outer wrapper and not on the stickers themselves. Viking own brand - the colour was too strong, too garish and not matt enough. Stationery Box/Ryman - uncompetitive prices, it felt like I was buying printer ink.

So I am sticking with sticking Post-Its to everything.

Useful information, which has been noted with interest. However, may I respectfully suggest that it might've been a good idea to have read a few of the previous posts first. Thanks for the laugh, though. :)
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm finding YS shopping harder and harder each time I go shopping. Hardly ever anything left and the reductions seem to be 50% at best.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback