'My new column in Viz!' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Read Martin's "My new column in Viz!" Blog.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• Mikeone
    Mikeone Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I'm a long time reader of both MSE and Viz, so this really tickled me when I read it.
    I'm a...I'm a real traditionalist of course
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Clearly not written by you, Martin. They've put the "s" on the end of "Lewis's"!
  • pete_v
    pete_v Posts: 56 Forumite
    What’s quite interesting is someone at Viz is obviously a MoneySaver. Whoever wrote it (yes – shock horror – it wasn’t really me) actually has a pretty decent grasp on personal finance issues.

Viz actually seem to be quite good at that. They did a strip for a while about Real Ale aficionados (complete with all the bellies, beards and woolly jumpers stereotypes) and they absolutely nailed all the little mockable details of that world. It's something I used to be quite involved with (used to organise large beer festivals, brewery trips, etc) and I think whoever wrote the strip must have been an "insider" too, taking the !!!! out of something they knew well.

Nothing wrong with being able to laugh at yourself :)

Pete
  • Mikeone
    Mikeone Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    pete_v wrote: »
    Viz actually seem to be quite good at that.

Pete

Very true. A few years ago they gave away a supplement with the Christmas issue. Called 'Enrazzlement' it was supposed to be a Victorian version of a top shelf magazine. I've got an MA in Victorian Studies, and I have to say the historical detail, from the language used to the references made, were historically flawless. It made it even funnier.
    I'm a...I'm a real traditionalist of course
  • That was a really well written piece by Viz and interweaves MSE well against the background of crappy Christmas television.

A genuine laugh at the double ISA opening, lol.
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ha ha - they might be financially savvy but they didn't research their soaps very well - Pat Butcher is dead!
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • Clearly not written by you, Martin. They've put the "s" on the end of "Lewis's"!
    And there's not one instance of your anoyingly wrong 'honing in'. It's 'homing in', Martin!
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Viz is still going then?!
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    cute :snow_grin I mean both the person who has imitated you and you telling all of us us about it in good humor
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure