Someone hit my parked car and drove off

Supersonos
Supersonos Posts: 1,080
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 28 November 2017 at 5:28PM in Motoring
As per the title, but someone saw and gave me their reg number. Looking at my dashcam, I can see the car was parked a few away from me when I arrived.

It's left a hefty scratch on my bumper which I'd imagine would cost a few hundred to repair. These things happen, but what has annoyed me most is the fact they just drove off having apparently got out and looked at the damage.

I've searched but, question is, what can I/should I do? Should I contact the police? Seems a bit small-fry. But how else can I claim from their insurance?

Will I lose my NCB?

The vehicle is showing online as taxed, MOTd and insured.

Comments

• Supersonos wrote: »
    As per the title, but someone saw and gave me their reg number. Looking at my dashcam, I can see the car was parked a few away from me when I arrived.

It's left a hefty scratch on my bumper which I'd imagine would cost a few hundred to repair. These things happen, but what has annoyed me most is the fact they just drove off having apparently got out and looked at the damage.

I've searched but, question is, what can I/should I do? Should I contact the police? Yas.Seems a bit small-fry. But how else can I claim from their insurance? Via the MIB.

Will I lose my NCB?If you claim and can't recover your costs possibly.

The vehicle is showing online as taxed, MOTd and insured.

Given you've checked the insurance you're half way there.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    This happened to me this summer. Someone who witnessed the third party hit my car left me a card containing a description of the car and the reg. I then found their insurers on askmid and made contact myself. After a couple weeks of denying it, their policyholder then said that they had washed their car and noticed some scratches so it could have been them. So they repaired my car at no cost to myself.

I recommend going onto the askmid mobile site which will give you the opportunity checking a registration number for the insurer's details. Then contact the insurer and lodge a claim with them as a third party. Did the witness provide you with their details at all? That would be massively helpful if they did.
  • Don't jump to conclusions too quickly. Yes, they appear to have driven off - exactly the same thing happened to me in a supermarket car park a few years ago. Someone saw it happen and jotted down the reg number. It turns out that they had indeed driven off - and straight round to the police station to report what had happened.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    AskMID. Speak to insurance.
  • Supersonos
    Forumite
    debtdebt wrote: »
    Did the witness provide you with their details at all? That would be massively helpful if they did.

Yes, they did. I thought I'd have to do it all through my insurance company? Let me insurer persue them?
  • debtdebt
    Yes you can claim from your own insurer and they will try and claim it back from the third party insurer. You'll have to pay your excess though and your NCB will be lost until your insurer make a full recovery of their outlay.
  • Supersonos
    Forumite
    debtdebt wrote: »
    Yes you can claim from your own insurer and they will try and claim it back from the third party insurer. You'll have to pay your excess though and your NCB will be lost until your insurer make a full recovery of their outlay.

So better to contact their insurer directly (I have their policy no and insurer from Ask MID)?
  • debtdebt
    That's how I did it however it's up to you. Make sure you contact the third party claims department and tell them that you have an independent witness who saw their policyholder hit your car.
  • Supersonos
    Forumite
    Third party have admitted it and their insurer is sorting the repair.

Is this now considered that they have left their details? I'm not going to be out of pocket so do I still need to report it to the police?
  • Someone hit my parked car and drove off

Lost count how many times this has happened to me over the years. Ranging from slight dirt scuff that wipes off to full blown dent that cost £250 to sort.

Only the other week I had my rear light cluster all scraped up which I still need to figure out how to sort.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure