Granite worktops, are they expensive?

I have a small kitchen but would like to change my worktops to the black granite ones. Are they expensive and how much roughly to install?

Comments

• ormonde
    ormonde Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Just before Christmas we paid £2100 for 5.5metres of worktop, 6.3m of upstand and 1.5m windowcill in absolute black granite. This included templating,delivery and fitting.
    It looks great!
    [
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    www.diapol.co.uk

If you go on the website and measure your current worktops, you can put in the measurements and it will give you a quote. It's exactly the thing that they use with their proper measurements - I was a little rough with my own, going on the kitchen units that were about to be installed, but the final price was incredibly close :)

We've got about 9 linear metres of granite plus upstands and paid £2400. Ours is Stargate - black with silver flecks. If you are tiling the wall, you don't really need upstands.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It depends how much you pay for them :)
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    we have black granite with silver flecks and upstands and a undermount sink with drainer grooves inc fitting it was 2500 for 12 metres. Bought direct from the quarry in NW england. PM me if you are anywhere near here and I will give you the details.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    We got ours from somewhere in Derbyshire, and fitted them ourselves (well not me, might break a nail!). Am happy to get the details if needed x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • I paid 160 quid for 3 lengths of granite off ebay. DIY fitted, took 3 of us to lift them.
  • tracyburt
    tracyburt Posts: 221 Forumite
    Ours was from a local stonemason who mainly does headstones! They do have a kitchen team who come and do a template, then return to do the fitting a week or so later. I'd guess we had about 8 metres and it had the cutout for the sink and rounded edges, all in for £1,500. Beware of DIY as you need the right tools to get the polished edges and also it took 4 of them to carry one of our pieces!
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    My workmates hubby said he can get the worktops and do it for £150 :D
  • £150, you would do well to have Laminate for that price.
  • amyface
    amyface Posts: 84 Forumite
    Kimberley wrote: »
    My workmates hubby said he can get the worktops and do it for £150 :D

I hope you either don't believe him:grin: or don't have a problem dealing with stolen goods. Or are we misinterpreting your comment - can he fit them for £150 & then there is the cost of the granite on top of that? Even then, has he got the skills.

I'd be wary, very wary. When things might sound too good to be true....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure