Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Comments

• DCC, based in Dublin owns DCC, Bayford, GB Oil, Brogans and Boiler J and probably more.
  • cyngor_cymru
    cyngor_cymru Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 3 November 2010 at 11:15PM
    DCC, based in Dublin owns DCC, Bayford, GB Oil, Brogans and Boiler J and probably more.

Yep, GB Oils (subsidiary of DCC) trade as Shell Direct, Emo, CPL Petroleum, Carlton Fuels, Scottish Fuels, Martindale Fuels, Imperial, UK Fuels, Town & Country Fuels, W Eves, Brett Fuels, Charter Fuels, Townson Bros, Haven Fuels, W H Bowes, TT Fuels, Noble Fuels, Anmer Oils, Black Cat Fuels, Suffolk County Fuels, Grampian Fuels, Owen Fuels, OJ Williams, Team Flitwick, Bates & Hunt Petroleum, James D Johnson, Southern Counties Fuels, Baxter Johnston Oils, Bayford Oils, Jackson Fuels, Speed Fuel Oils, Pearts, & Brogan Holdings.

Oh, and also the Gulf brand, Cooke Fuel Cards, boilerjuice.com, & heatingoil.co.uk. And Flogas too.

And i may have missed a few. . . . . . .

They seemingly like to make you think you have a choice of supplier, however in certain areas the same people answer the calls for several different brand names - and give out different prices depending on what phone number you have called.
  • oap
    oap Posts: 596 Forumite
    We are in North Wales and this time had CPL, there are others there who we ring, makes me feel really cross, why on the same day are all the oil prices not the same, I really think they get what they can out of you and it is up to us to try and beat them down, which I did this time, but it is not nice having to do it and not in my nature, nor in many others nature I think. Thank you for your valuable post, oap
  • Have been reading on "which oil supplier" who each of the on line companies belong to and how many of them trade using a different name on line. Having completed a number of online quotes and then compared them to calling the companies directly it was interesting to find such a variance between the prices. The cheapest heating oil quote I found online on the day was from fuelfighter.co.uk and these were a good 1.5ppl cheaper than Boiler juice who I have been using in the past. Their delivery was also quoted as 5 days as standard compared to 10 on the boiler juice. On delivery it turned out to be the same company who delivered last time ! On speaking to them they confirmed that each of the "comparison sites" charge different commision rates and this is why one site can be different from another and also why sometimes it is cheaper to buy online rather than directly from the supplier as they get a larger discount for placing there orders in bulk.
  • Buying on-line should always be cheaper but comaprison sites are given the price from a supplier, who then pays a commission when you click on the website. So in reality it may give a list of prices and of course the highest and lowest but this still factors in the commission they pay to the website. But I think that the comparison sites for heating oil are bogus a bit like DCC owning a load of different websites.

Heating oil pricing is based on a number of factors but begins with trading price depending on each companies trading pattern you will find some are the cheapest on a rising market, got stock, or cheaper on a falling market i.e. will pay for their stock based on the lowering market cost. Larger companies tend to to be the latter.

A margin is then added to the traded price of around 6-10ppl out of which collection, storage and delivery is taken and of course company administration, sales and marketing costs.

On average savings will vary between suppliers will be £0.01-0.04pence per litre so on a fill of 1000ltrs offers savings of £10-£40. On average tanks are filled 3 times per year so the maximum saving is likely to be £30 - £120.

But what cost is there to the savings? Obviously you have the time factor getting quotes, telephone bill, oil quality risk and delivery delay/failure. Plus of course if you are a "good customer" and you have forgotten to order in time and in desparate need loyalty should count.

If you have the time and can wait 2-3 weeks for delivery then register with "fuel prices online". They will send a daily e-mail with yesterdays oil prices and check your local reliable suppliers on good days!
    But what cost is there to the savings? Obviously you have the time factor getting quotes, telephone bill, oil quality risk and delivery delay/failure. Plus of course if you are a "good customer" and you have forgotten to order in time and in desparate need loyalty should count...

I have to agree with this - the ability to supply when in urgent need can be a real deal-maker...you can always give your preferred supplier the opportunity to match a cheap price deal. They can't always but I prefer to know that having provided good customer service when needed I am giving them my custom in return.

In this case I am talking about Kinch Fuels in Devizes. Thanks. :T
  • Hi all, am new to this Forum, found the place the other day whilst trawling the internet trying to find a solution to the high cost of Heating Oil, and trying to find a decent Supplier that runs a Budget Scheme. We live on anglesey, north Wales, and all the local small Suppliers seem to be so expensive. I finally found a terrific Company called CPL Petroleum. They set up a Budget Scheme based on how much usage in a year, and only ask for HALF the amount of your first delivery up front! So, instead of having to outlay the whole amount of £252 for 500 litres (almost £100 cheaper than most of the other Suppliers round here!) we paid £125 on delivery, and have set up a Direct Debit now. Hopefully this is the last time we will ever have to struggle to find the cost of our heating.
    The Company are so polite, helpful and efficient, I really cannot praise them highly enough, and would recommend them to anyone who needs a Budget Scheme.
  • Blimey.. If my calculation are correct that is over 50ppl seems expensive..
  • It was 48p per litre, and on volume, as I said, was almost £100 less than all the local suppliers were quoting.
  • Well I've just rang Total Butler and had a quote for 51p per litre....yikes. Think I will ring my local supplier.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback