two water meters

water company decided to fit meters for all properties in my street, a couple of months ago. My house now has a meter but my garage compound still has a water supply without meter. When I brought the garages from my neighbour about ten years ago, I was told that as I paid unmetered water rates the garage was included in my water usage. Only a small amount of water is ever used to top up radiator and wash the car from time to time.

I have rung and asked the water company to install a second meter and total the two meter readings but they refuse to accept that the supply exists and say that all my water must come though the one meter (only one meter per address) and that I must be mistaken.
In an attempt to circumvent their system, I have offered to set up a new account for the garages but have been told that as it does not have an unique post office address they cannot supply it (which they already do!). Now I am fed up with trying to sort this out. Can anyone tell me if the water company can add water meter readings to form a single account? Should I just use the water and not bother trying to do the right thing. I am not trying to steel the water, I want to pay for it, but their system seems unable to cope with two supplies and one address

Comments

• deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    is the garage part of your property in same location ?

Its quite common for properties to have 2 meters , but if its in another location then another standing charge would be payable unless they have a low user tariff with no standing charges

Cant see why they cant set up an account called Garages,adjacent 22 high street,anytown, if its in another location
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Hundreds of properties if not thousands have 2 meters, some more believe it or not so this is not an unique issue and I can see why they would be having a problem with it unless the garage is somewhere else and not "their area" or they can't find it on their system..Some garages have such a low RV they were never billed as it cost more to bill and set up then was collected.

Have you ever been billed from the water company for the supply ?
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport