PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thats right GQ those with a veneer of civility ...will try to rationalize their behaviour....while others if they perceive their stronger will just take it off you....i prefer the grey man approach.....Russia being provocative sending their battleships through the English channel we need to up our defence spending in conjunction with france
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    If you ever see the ice in the bottom section, you know your freezer has thawed and re-frozen. Which might indicate a power outage or a dodgy freezer. HTH.
    The other indicator (in my experience) is containers which have 'furred up' with ice on the outside.
    Not a good sign if you are buying ready frozen packs either. ;)
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Matches - MUST remember to buy matches, virtually all of my methods of cooking & keeping warm without mains 'leccy depend on matches! Though I do have a firesteel somewhere...

Getting into "normal" winter preps here. My neighbour's Glaswegian mother would have been muttering "there'll be some snaws" (i.e. lots of snow) as there are ridiculous amounts of hawthorn & berberis berries this year; the little trees are quite literally bowed down with them. However it almost never snows at all here, and when it does, it doesn't lie. Need to buy some "official" logs too as OH's mindset is that if wood was meant for burning, it would be sold as such, so "scrumped" wood obviously isn't "fit" to be burnt. Despite the fact that our garden produces a fair amount of it, and the council chop up fallen trees down at the riverbank specifically for us citizens to take away - which saves them trying to get a chipper down there! I have a few stashes of wood maturing for the stove, but if he finds them, they'll go into the compost bins - sigh!

The sweep is coming this week, and I must also get the boiler service arranged now the heating's coming on. Not to mention bubble-wrapping the conservatory... sounds ridiculous, but it really makes a difference & makes it possible for the cockatiels to live out there all winter, and my windowsill herbs, saladings & pot-plants to keep on growing right through.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Matches have so little head on them these days, they're really hard to light. I have resorted to using a lighter to light the match before now. Actually having a pack of disposable lighters from a pound shop is not a bad prep to have around in case your matches get damp
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • maryb wrote: »
    Actually having a pack of disposable lighters from a pound shop is not a bad prep to have around in case your matches get damp

Pound shops also sell very small lighters.

I keep one (size 6cm 2 cm X 1cm) in my Survival Tin, in addition to matches.
  • I keep the little packets of dessicant that have come in various items we've bought and put them in a small rectangular Klip-Lock tub, in which the box of matches is stored. I don't know how well it would protect matches long-term or outdoors, but it keeps them perfectly dry for lighting the fire and candles indoors. I have a long 'click' lighter too but rarely use it. If a visitor is careless enough to leave a disposable lighter here it goes into a drawer with the stash of abandoned lighters!
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Just had a phone call purporting to be from HMRC stating they were starting a case against me. :eek:

Press one to speak to my case officer.

Yeah, right :rotfl: just put the phone down.

Don't get taken in folks (I know none of you will!).

Have rung my mother to warn her, she is over eighty and frets about calls like these.

Usual preps going on, more for winter weather than anything else.
    Feeling very organised for a change, which obviously means I've forgotten something crucial.:rotfl:

Have finished sorting Dad's things out now.
    Quite a lot of unused medical stuff (leg bags, catheter tubing etc.) which cannot be returned to the NHS is going via a friend to a remote hospital in Uganda.

We made sure he spent money on himself so some excellent quality clothes have gone to the charity shops.
    Very little thrown away apart from some OOD foodstuffs :D

Feel sad but at ease.
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Presumably to save money, Barclaycard have their fraud protection team based in India.

Isn't that rather an oxymoron? :)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :( Seven days exactly after my Nan had died after 5 weeks in hospital, we were all at her home, starting the sad business of sorting out her affairs.

We jumped out of our skins when her phone rang. A man with an Indian accent asked for Mrs XXXXXXXX because she'd been involved in a car accident and could make a claim.

No she hadn't, snapped Aunt, very distressed. She was 93 and she's just died. And slammed the phone down on the beggar. I hope they were ashamed of themselves for adding to our distress.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That's terrible GQ.
    These people are the lowest of the low. But they keep on doing it so they must get enough business to make it worth their while.
    My Dad was ill in hospital and I was expecting a 'come now' call when I got one of these scammers on the line.
    Pineapple can't post what she said as it would just end up being a row of stars and exclamation marks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure