Buying a second hand luxury car

Options

Comments

• BeenThroughItAll
    Options

Are you seriously suggesting that is not a luxury car? :cool:

It's a 'luxurious' car, certainly. But it's not a Bentley.

A Bentley. Now *that* is a luxury car.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Neither can a Ford or a Volkswagen be classed a luxury car.

Volkswagen make Polos, therefore the Phaeton is not a luxury car.

Toyota make Starlets, therefore a Lexus is not a luxury car.

OK, by your logic, BMW's bubble cars mean that a 7 series is not a luxury car, and also Aston Martin's Cygnet bars us from calling their other cars GTs. How about the Ford switchgear in some of them? Does that make them Fiestas?

There's such a thing as a luxurious brand, like Bentley (owned by VW!!), above, and some brands have more 'prestige' than others, but a Toyota, or Lexus, could be equally luxurious to a Bentley if they really went for it, and hand built lots of stuff. It still wouldn't be a luxurious badge, but it's a luxury car. Or maybe put a Toyota badge on front of a Bentley and see if it gets less luxurious!
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    No way is it a luxury car - all those bells and whistles don't change a thing.

And price has zilch to do with it either.

So jog on my friend and enjoy your 'luxury' car - if you're happy why should I care. ;)

Haters gonna hate! So luxury features, luxury price, luxury ride and luxury marque don't make a luxury car in Iceweasel's "alternative facts" world. LOL :rotfl:

Clearly you do care and I suspect the green eyed monster has a lot to do with it. And yes I enjoy my luxury car pretty much every day thanks, easily one of the best cars ever made.
    But it's not a Bentley. Now *that* is a luxury car.

Not according to Iceweasel as a Volkswagen (the owner of Bentley) cannot be classed as a luxury car! :rotfl:

Also I take it you didn't realise Bentley is officially the most unreliable car in the country? ;)

Most unreliable cars in the UK
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • BeenThroughItAll
    BeenThroughItAll Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    Options

Not according to Iceweasel as a Volkswagen (the owner of Bentley) cannot be classed as a luxury car! :rotfl:

Also I take it you didn't realise Bentley is officially the most unreliable car in the country? ;)

Most unreliable cars in the UK

I'm not going to get involved in the 'haterz gunna hate lulz' argumentz because I'm not 12 years old.

If Bentleys cannot be luxury cars because VW own them, and VWs are not luxury cars, by that argument a Lexus cannot be a luxury car because Toyota own Lexus, and Toyotas are not luxury cars. Iceweasel didn't make that connection - you did - so it's your argument.

Congratulations - you just disappeared in a puff of logic.

I'm not even going to point out that reliability is in no way a measure of luxury.
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If Bentleys cannot be luxury cars because VW own them, and VWs are not luxury cars, by that argument a Lexus cannot be a luxury car because Toyota own Lexus, and Toyotas are not luxury cars. Iceweasel didn't make that connection

Er, that's exactly the fallacious basis of Iceweasel's assertions! :rotfl:
    I had a couple of Toyotas - nice cars - but they cannot pretend to be luxury cars - even with a Lexus badge stuck on.
    A Toyota can never be a luxury car - not even if you gold-plate the door handles and have a fur dashboard.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They do, my MD's 730d used to average mid 40s easily.
    Damn. Then it gets better mpg than my Fiesta's EcoBoost engine...
  • stefano
    stefano Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    That beemer has now gone. I will resume my search for my original car I wanted. The Phaeton. The only downside of that is you would have to explain to people what it is and not many people have heard of it.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    45 Phaetons on Autotrader
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • stefano
    Options
    45 Phaetons on Autotrader

Yeah, I know. Compare that to the thousands of BMWs.
  • stefano
    Options
    kmb500 wrote: »
    Phaeton! They're absolutely worthless........

What exactly do you mean?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport