how shocked should I be?

Our old cat needed to be pts about 18 months ago, and we're now in the market for another one.

We visited a cat rescue place and although we were planning on getting a kitten, one of their older cats (12) took a real shine to my OH and we decided that we would get him instead. We were told that all the cats were vaccinated up-to-date. We were also told that the cat we wanted had a problem with one of his eyes. The lady who ran the place suggested that I meet her at the vet's with the cat, and we could go through any issues with him (as an older cat at a rescue centre, we were prepared for there to be a few issues). This visit to the vet's happened yesterday.

It turns out that this cat has very many problems. Most of them we would be able to cope with, but a few things stood out.
a) he had no vaccination record at all. This means she lied to us when she said all the cats were vaccinated. Alarm bells start to ring.
b) he is a 'likely' (vet's words) to be a carrier for cat flu and herpes - this appeared to be news to the cat rescue lady. I asked if that would be an issue if we needed to put him in a cattery, and the cat rescue lady immediately said 'They only need the vaccination certificate'. Surely the cattery needs to be sure that your cat won't give their other cats cat flu? I wouldn't feel comfortable handing him over knowing he was a carrier - but we also don't want to potentially not have a holiday for the next 10 years!!
c) he has severe gingivitis and will need all his teeth out. So the poor old boy is in pain and the cat rescue place has done nothing about it (they've had him a long time).

In the end, OH and I have decided to walk away. I feel quite upset that this cat is potentially spreading cat flu to the other cats at the place (most were just wandering about outside, so plenty of opportunity for spreading disease), that he is in pain from his teeth, and that she lied to us re the vaccinations. Am I over-reacting?
No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...

Comments

• ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Hi Yes i think that you are slightly overeacting but you do have a point. I think cat flu wont be an issue if he has had the injections and has his booster regularly. Ring up a cattery and ask what their policy is on this. Losing his teeth probably means that he will only be able to have wet foood. I if in your shoes would be inclined to research as much as possbie about his problems which really may not be insurmountable. I would also ask the vet what exactly he means by being a potential carrier? Older cats generally are more placid and 12 really isnt in the senile department yet. Give the guy a chance if possible, as he has already decided who he wants to be with.lj
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • I can understand your reservations but it seems such a shame to walk away.
    It's odd that the rescue centre lied about his vaccinations but there could be an honest explanation - what did the woman from the centre say when the vet said he had no vaccination record?
    Even if you can't put him in a cattery when you go on holiday, you would be able to get a cat sitter to pop in and feed him so I don't think that needs to be an obstacle.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,983 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think you're overreacting on the vaccination issue. Any stray cat that goes into rescue will have no history. It's the policy of any rescue I've ever come across to arrange vaccination of the cats before they leave. Hence the 'all cats are vaccinated.' In any case, the cat may have been vaccinated by a previous owner.

Cat flu. 40 years ago there was no cat flu vaccine. Cats got flu and survived or died. Our cat caught flu in a cattery when we were on holiday and we were lucky to come back in time and save him, by force feeding him glucose and water as he wasn't eating. He survived and lived a happy normal life. He went into catteries a couple of times, there were no issues, but then there was no vaccine at the time. Can the vet test to see if the cat is a carrier? Can he be vaccinated against flu? As the poster above said, home visits or neighbours are your other options for holidays.

Our neighbour's cat had to have all her teeth out, she coped fine and had a long and happy life.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Rescue cats tend not to have a record, they aren't normally handed in with papers.

Unless you're planning to use a cattery that doesn't follow legislation from the local council and chooses not to register their business, e.g a cowboy cat flu etc isn't common.

Poor teeeh is common in older cats, it also suggests puss has probably been fed dry food as tooth decay is more common with dry food.
  • Anjek
    Anjek Posts: 11 Forumite
    In southern Europe is normal that old cats don't have a record. But in the end, I think that you do a right thing. Teeth in cats act like teeth in humans, how they aged, so the teeth are bad and poor. Greeting
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Rescue cats tend not to have a record, they aren't normally handed in with papers.

Unless you're planning to use a cattery that doesn't follow legislation from the local council and chooses not to register their business, e.g a cowboy cat flu etc isn't common.

Poor teeeh is common in older cats, it also suggests puss has probably been fed dry food as tooth decay is more common with dry food.

I was always told it is wet food that causes teeth problems and dry food causes kidney problems?
  • He may have been vaccinated elsewhere which would explain why that vet has no record. Most rescues use more than one vets. So he could be vaccinated as stated.
    The vet is covering his backside by stating that. I wouldn't worry personally as unless the vet is psychic, how would he know the cats a carrier? Was the cat displaying any symptoms?
    All that is required is a vacc card to book into cattery. That's it so no need to stop having holidays.
    Have you spoke to the rescue about this? What have they said?
    Please reconsider this, he is an old kitty needing a home. Nothing you have said would worry me unduly.
    The teeth thing is quite common at this age unfortunately. However I would seek a second opinion on that and see if the rescue would cover the cost if needed.
    Why would they bring you openly yo a vet to discuss this cat if they had anything to hide??
  • nicter
    nicter Posts: 300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We adopted a kitten from cats protection who despite vaccinations from a young age contracted cat flu somewhere along the line.
    The 1st we knew about it was at annual booster when vet checked her mouth and found gums ulcerated from calici virus ( cat flu)
    It is fairly common that a cat who has had the virus will develop stomatitis/gingivitis so its likely that is why the cat you saw has teeth problems
    Our puss at the moment is mild-moderate chronic gingivitis but potentially will have her teeth out at some point in the future as this helps stem ulceration
    She is only 2 but copes very well and as yet her appetite has not been affected:)
    We have 4 other cats who are vaccinated so no problems to them
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    There's absolutely no point whatsoever in vaccinating an elderly cat and especially if they're already a carrier of these diseases as it means they're immune from catching them
  • nicter
    nicter Posts: 300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    There's absolutely no point whatsoever in vaccinating an elderly cat and especially if they're already a carrier of these diseases as it means they're immune from catching them

Our vets still vaccinate our calici virus carrying cat each year with a "dead virus" as its thought the vaccine can help to reduce symptoms
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure